Importing food into the EU

In most cases, each country's border control is in that country. Dover-Calais is an exception.
My mistake, I thought other ports did this, I know UK border force operate in Dunkirk and Belgium, but UK and French border controls have a bilateral agreement that includes checking for prohibited goods at the border. It may be that you can take meat and dairy on board a ferry and consume it before you get off, but I think you have to be prepared for the risk that it may be confiscated as you pass through border control.
I suppose we will know more when travel through the ports is fully allowed again and people can relate their experiences.

No different really to all those years taking too much booze and too many ciggies across is it 😂😂

just don’t hide stuff away and all that happens is they take it off you unless you keep getting caught smuggling contraband of course

OK, next question!
Have you even heard of anyone ever being searched for food imports at Santander?

I think this has now been put to bed and it looks as though the rules on imports do not apply to items for personal use...

It looks as though a member of Out&About Live has done some research and found out that it is not illegal to carry small amounts of foodstuff (dairy, meat etc) as long as it is for personal consumption.

The whole thread - shamelessly stolen from OAL - is here...

Taking fresh food into France | Motorhome Matters | Motorhomes Forum

The chap in question (Bravo sir!) highlighted these areas....

4) Exemptions from official controls at border control posts for products which form part of travellers’ personal luggage, for products for consumption by the crew and passengers on board means of transport operating internationally,

(8) Pursuant to Article 48(d) and (e) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625, products which form part of passenger’s personal luggage and are intended for their personal consumption or use and small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market should be exempted from official controls at border control posts.

Animals and goods exempted from official controls at border control posts ...

(c) goods on board means of transport operating internationally which are not unloaded and are intended for consumption by the crew and passengers;

(d) goods which form part of passengers personal luggage and are intended for personal consumption or use;

So now hopefully we should be able to put to bed the speculation and hopefully this will be a boon for those of us who like to have a few bits and pieces on board until we can get to a French supermarket.

Thanks, GMJ. I think the confiscation of the ham sandwich was a bit of theatre. Like you we carry just enough to get us to a supermarket or village shop, but we do carry a 90 day supply of porridge oats (allowed) and dry dog food (not allowed, supposedly).

I rather think Border Control have better things to do than look for contraband butter.

Thanks, GMJ. I think the confiscation of the ham sandwich was a bit of theatre. Like you we carry just enough to get us to a supermarket or village shop, but we do carry a 90 day supply of porridge oats (allowed) and dry dog food (not allowed, supposedly).

I rather think Border Control have better things to do than look for contraband butter.
Another exporter of porridge oats ... We don't take 90 days worth. though; French prices were cheaper than UK during July and August, at around €0.90 per 500g, about 75p, and decent quality too

Steve

No worries chaps.

Please spread the word...but I bet we'll have several more of the 'Can we take...'threads before we are done :D

I'll start a thread on Wildies just in case this misses some folks over there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back