internet with legs

I've used these home and abroad for ages now in my iPad and mifi unit and they're absolutely brilliant. That's a really good price for the 24GB sim (y)

One tiny word of caution about using it overseas... in Europe last year I discovered that 3 have a monthly fair usage cap on roaming data. I'd bought a 24GB sim but wasn't allowed to use it all in one month without incurring extra charges, so now I make sure I've always got two sims to switch around. I don't know if they still have this policy though - could be old news now.
Yes Three do still limit roaming to 19GB as we just noticed on holiday in Ireland.

limit didn’t ? apply on prepaid sims such as the 24gb when the limit was 15gb its limited under fair use on monthly contracts, when jan changed her contract 3 gave her as a loyal customer unlimited calls text & data but because it’s unlimited when you go on the app t9 check whether your near the 19gb it just says unlimited tried getting them to put a figure on it so i can check “oh that’s an interesting point she said”

I was disappointed with my two Three internet with legs sims in March this year while in the French Alps and the run back to Calais

I could only get 3g on them both (not had a problem before been using them for a couple pf years ) yet 4g was available on other sims of ours and friends

24Gb would last me about 2 weeks when on holiday, at £42 dread to think what they charge for extra data, fine for anyone who is a low data user

I too used the ‘3’ data sims when away in the van and until recently it was my only source of internet access at home. I purchase my next sim the moment I load one into my mi-fi thereby guaranteeing I never run out. Usually purchase from ‘My memory’ but found that Amazon was a better price recently. Also get the 24 g/month card and never had a problem using at home or abroad.

Anybody get 4g on these whilst roaming and do you get the full 24gb whilst roaming. Just interested because I don't.

See post #26 above

Getting 4g at the moment in the uk but last trip to France i could only get 3G which was a real nuisance from the Alps all the way back to Calais yet other sims gave 4g at same locations

Getting 4g in the Vosges, France with Vodaphone phone. I have only used my internet with legs once on this trip so far. That was in Italy. Mostly had good coverage in France, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. Passing through Switzerland not good, but did not linger so no problem.

I have to say, I never got 4g on my Vodafone sim. When I went into settings it was not offered? Why would that be? ....my phone is a cubot R9?

I have Unlimited Data, Calls & Texts from 3 for £20.00 per month, 12 mths contract. I know it is only 19GB abroad. I will use this as a hotspot on my iphone 7. We are going over to France and Spain next month.

The 3 deals look good but their coverage in the Scottish Highlands looks to be practically non-existent. This is pretty much the only are we tour so it is a deal killer for us.

EE seems to work quite well but their deals aren't as good.

I have a 3 contract and have used it in France but was never able to stream anything as it was far too slow for that to work, just kept stalling.

The 3 deals look good but their coverage in the Scottish Highlands looks to be practically non-existent. This is pretty much the only are we tour so it is a deal killer for us.

EE seems to work quite well but their deals aren't as good.
I have lost signal on some beaches with 3 but O2 has gone at same places. Not really suffered loss apart from some areas around Newton Stewart. Can’t say it has been a problem really elsewhere though right up to Mallaig and Skye, Highlands and over Dunoon way. I do use a 4g router as well though and that picks up better than out iphones

I have lost signal on some beaches with 3 but O2 has gone at same places. Not really suffered loss apart from some areas around Newton Stewart. Can’t say it has been a problem really elsewhere though right up to Mallaig and Skye, Highlands and over Dunoon way. I do use a 4g router as well though and that picks up better than out iphones
I have a huawei router with an external aerial so that sounds promising. I'll maybe pick up a cheap PAYG 3 sim first just to see how it goes.

Thanks

Alternative to Landline for Broadband and Telephone?

I currently have broadband and anytime telephone via Plusnet on a BT landline. Also a mobile via a Tesco PAYG SIM in my very old and “unsmart” phone, no data just talking and basic texts.
Mobile data would be useful away from home but I wonder if a mobile could serve as my only device at both home and away? I also hope it might be faster and cheaper than my current Plusnet.

Broadband and anytime phone currently costs me £37 pcm.
Last 4 months data usage: 14GB, 6GB, 8GB, 6GB.
Broadband speed test: Download 1.04 to 1.9 Mb/s, Upload 0.39 Mb/s, Ping 726 ms.
Plusnet advertise 10Mb/s but we are in a village on the end of a long copper wire.
There is a fibre cabinet somewhere in the village but the final connection would be via the same overhead copper wire as my landline but shorter so effectively faster. Vodafone Superfast 2 advertise 55Mb/s guaranteed but does that only apply to100% fibre all the way into the house? The latter seems unlikely to be possible in our village, I would need to get that clarified.

Would a mobile service be as reliable as a landline at home?
3 looks good but would they provide the best coverage and service?
Would a mobile connection be faster and save me money?

Thanks in advance for advice

Last edited:
I could only get 3g on them both (not had a problem before been using them for a couple pf years ) yet 4g was available on other sims of ours and friends
Since june 3 have been 4g I,ve had 4g last 10 days

Alternative to Landline for Broadband and Telephone?

I currently have broadband and anytime telephone via Plusnet on a BT landline. Also a mobile via a Tesco PAYG SIM in my very old and “unsmart” phone, no data just talking and basic texts.
Mobile data would be useful away from home but I wonder if a mobile could serve as my only device at both home and away? I also hope it might be faster and cheaper than my current Plusnet.

Broadband and anytime phone currently costs me £37 pcm.
Last 4 months data usage: 14GB, 6GB, 8GB, 6GB.

Would a mobile service be as reliable as a landline at home?
3 looks good but would they provide the best coverage and service?
Would a mobile connection be faster and save me money?

Thanks in advance for advice
When my broadband went down at home I set up my mobile as a hotspot, 4G with Virgin and I have unlimited calls & texts, 120GB data with 40GB unused data rollover for £20pm, it was not as fast as the cable broadband I have which is 100mbps but it was faster than you are getting by a long way.
What is the mobile reception like in your village?, if it is good then you are probably better using a mobile service, check around for deals though and make sure the one you choose has a good signal at home, ask the neighbours which mobile service they use

When my broadband went down at home I set up my mobile as a hotspot, 4G with Virgin and I have unlimited calls & texts, 120GB data with 40GB unused data rollover for £20pm, it was not as fast as the cable broadband I have which is 100mbps but it was faster than you are getting by a long way.
What is the mobile reception like in your village?, if it is good then you are probably better using a mobile service, check around for deals though and make sure the one you choose has a good signal at home, ask the neighbours which mobile service they use
With a set up like your’s how would you operate systems like “Hive” heating controls?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back