iPad battery question.

Topmast

Hi Everyone.
My understanding of anything to do with computers is less than limited so any help is appreciated. I have a six year old iPad that is showing serious loss of battery holding capacity is it worth having a new battery fitted or cheaper to get a new iPad ? I believe that Apple charge stupid money if they do repairs but have no idea if a small computer shop would replace said battery. I suspect it’s sales speak but looking on internet I read that iPads normal life is four and a half years bearing in mind how expensive they are this seems a bit unreasonable.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Similar thing happened to mine a while back but I didn't go down the new battery route, so can't help with that I'm afraid.
Mine was getting on for 8 years old when the battery started to deteriorate a bit but I'd already hit another big snag. It was stuck on IOS9 because Apple stopped supporting my model with updates and eventually some of my apps started to fail because I couldn't update them to the latest versions... ie they weren't supported by my IOS. I had to remove a few apps that had tried to update and gone wrong and caused everything to slow right down. Then the battery issue cropped up, so I gave up and bought a new wifi-only one for under £300. I think they've gone up in price since then but look what happened to the price of phones! My 9-year-old one still works perfectly well for basic use, factory reset with trimmed back simple apps and I keep it as an emergency spare that also keeps my little grandot amused 😊 I think when they talk about lifespan, it's more about how long Apple will provide support and updates, rather than an expectation that the device will fail in any way. If yours is still supported, I guess it's worth considering a new battery?

Pretty sure the cost of an iPad battery replacement done by Apple in the UK is around £99. Much cheaper than a new iPad, if yours is worth keeping.
I have an almost 7 year old iPad Air 2. Still going strong with iOS 14. Although the battery is still pretty good, I’ll be getting the battery changed by Apple soon.

You really have too check what apps are running in the background and updating using up your battery. I have a five year old iPad it started using the battery up really quick and was slow to charge I got rid of a load of old apps and turned some stuff off like Bluetooth when not using it. My I pad now runs faster and better battery life than ever. I also bought a new charging cable the proper one for my iPad from apple it actually dose charge faster with the original charge cable from apple.

For me 6 years is good service.
1 If you can get a 3rd party repair maybe for £60 then repair then do that (see point 3)

2 Then save up for a newer model

3 Cex (entertainment exchange) have good 2nd hand items and will give you some cash for your old item
At some stage older items are best upgraded (IMO)

4 its not really broke but fixit anyway !
Duff battery/chargng makes items almost useless 1

Reactions: Alf
Thanks everyone for replying , although at the moment the iPad still works well if apple stop support is it worth spending money on ?

Thanks everyone for replying , although at the moment the iPad still works well if apple stop support is it worth spending money on ?
Like Wully said, check and clear any apps you have running. Not try to teach you to suck eggs, but clear the memory daily.😳

Have Apple stopped you installing latest iOS yet? You will still get security updates but the crunch for me would be if it’s still supported for iOS as Jenny said in her post.
Slightly different but my iPhone 7plus was showing battery life at 78% and it wasn’t lasting a full day on a charge. I knew it was okay on support anyway til the end of this year so I got the battery swapped, cost £30 at one of the local repair shops, Apple would have been nearer a hundred.
If the iPad is doing what you want and hasn’t been dropped look around at local repair places for one with good reviews and decent prices then make your decision. I just bought my wife a new iPad that cost £320, can’t remember the last pounds

Thanks again everyone ,yes at the moment Apple is still supporting my iPad but not for much longer it has been suggested to me that plugging a power pack in might be the best answer, The other problem I have is living in Portugal not many small computer shops out in the sticks have much knowledge .

Have Apple stopped you installing latest iOS yet? You will still get security updates but the crunch for me would be if it’s still supported for iOS as Jenny said in her post.
Slightly different but my iPhone 7plus was showing battery life at 78% and it wasn’t lasting a full day on a charge. I knew it was okay on support anyway til the end of this year so I got the battery swapped, cost £30 at one of the local repair shops, Apple would have been nearer a hundred.
If the iPad is doing what you want and hasn’t been dropped look around at local repair places for one with good reviews and decent prices then make your decision. I just bought my wife a new iPad that cost £320, can’t remember the last pounds
Apple will change an iPhone 7 battery for £49.

Both Julie and I have had new batteries fitted to iPhone at £35 each and our ageing iPads at £65 each all good. 1 year warranty. My phone lost charge a year later the shop just replaced it again FOC.
This was done by a local shop in Sheffield. We googled and looked at reviews online before committing. Very happy with them. If anyone local wants there name and address I can post it on here.

Thanks Campergramps, it seems that would be worth having done at that price but unfortunately Sheffield is a hell of a long way from here. I have been enquiring locally but have been shocked at various quotes so will keep trying.

My experience of third-party batteries from anywhere other than the manufacturer is that they are often really poor. Sometimes they wont charge, or work for a month and then pack up or even catch-fire!

If it was me I wouldn't invest any more money in hardware that Apple will not support soon and keep it limping along with a battery bank as suggested.

I think you are correct in saying don’t spend money on something this old ,so will try a power bank . Thanks for the reply.

I think you are correct in saying don’t spend money on something this old ,so will try a power bank . Thanks for the reply.
I have a friend that repairs 60 to 100 ipads and I phones every week,...for a large London organisation .... batteries for I pads range from £45 to 75 depending on the model PM your model number and I will get you a price if you want

Thanks Alf.
But at the age of my iPad I have decided not to spend money on it as Apple now won’t up date it .

Thanks Alf.
But at the age of my iPad I have decided not to spend money on it as Apple now won’t up date it .
What year is your iPad please PM your model number A six year old iPad is no doubt worth a new battery and will be supported for many years. Why do you say Apple won’t update.

Alf

l

My 2012 ipad could no longer be updated after 6 years. I purchased the most basic model as a replacement and was astounded by how much faster it was. Just over £300.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back