Ipad or tablet or just phone. What do you mostly use yours for?

Geraldine

I mostly use my IPad for reading a newspaper, the weather, FB and sometimes YouTube or Spotify. Plus this site and Wildcamping.
What do you use yours for?
I only use the phone for the internet if charge gets low on the Pad.
Am I missing out on any apps or things out there?
Cheers. David.

I use tablet for ease of typing (hopeless on my phone). The phone is more useful for weather, tide times etc. and messaging.

I mostly use my IPad for reading a newspaper, the weather, FB and sometimes YouTube or Spotify. Plus this site and Wildcamping.
What do you use yours for?
I only use the phone for the internet if charge gets low on the Pad.
Am I missing out on any apps or things out there?
Cheers
Pretty much the same as you. Plus catch up tv. Thanks to Nabs for showing me around the iPad. Without him it would still be in it’s box. Oh! Nearly forgot, thanks also for the winter fuel allowance which allowed me to buy it.?

Smartphone for many things
Checking email
Browsing internet and following cricket (BBC) Motorhomer WC
Various apps
  • Mobile banking
  • Credit card
  • The dutch site
  • Parkfornight
  • Weather
  • Maps.me and storing locations and altitude
  • Finding shops (maps.me or Google)
  • recording spend
  • Line (like Skype)
  • currency converter with live rates
  • messenger and facebook
I also have a good laptop/tablet with a 14 in screen and I use excel to track costs overnights diesel lpg bank account and google maps
Most of these could be done entirely on the phone..But I copy photos from my various cameras onto the laptop and re-copy onto an external hard disk. It has a good battery and as now I can use it on its internal battery without draining my LB and top up the laptop battery tomorrow when it is sunny... Laptop battery at 73% so maybe another 1 hour before switching off.
I also have a wi-fi extra aerial and so now I am using free wi-fi on the laptop which is not visible to my phone.
The phone is great but in conjunction with my laptop
Phone a bit like a good battery drill driver​
Laptop a power drill with hammer action​
Of course the phone also tethers to my laptop when there is no wi-fi​
I also prefer ordering items on the laptop because a new screen opening does not impact on other open programs​

I only use my smart ph for calls and maps me,never any google spyware nor would i put bank or card details there for the above .
If you want to do that then a fairphone with pure android or sailfish op system on it would be a good job.

As above and just use my phone for calls and texts

I was gifted a smart phone by a member which looks really good, but sadly it only confirmed to me that I really am thick. So my smart phone is just that, but only gets used for its primary function------a telephone. I do have a tablet too, but this, after a fashion, I can drive it has poi set up on it, and hopefully it will again be used for mobile internetting soon

Yup Smart phones operated by idiots.
LOL etc ?

Weather, maps, convention tables, knitting patterns stores, books, audio books, podcasts,learning French, storing recipes, keeping shopping list, address book, TV, news, dictionary, maps of vets, toilets, LPG. There’s more but without looking at every app this is a quick list

Compass, travel journal, magazines from library. Goodness it’s endless. I love it. As I said before somewhere, its not a phone anymore, its a pocket computer and as such I use it all the time. I love the fact that if I see a word that interests me I can check on its exact meaning or check out the history of something. Find my way to somewhere or back again. Just thought about the camera too. My daughter sends me texts of little things she has seen or thought about or photos of what the grandchildren are up to which is a great way to feel connected and know she is thinking about you too. I probably use the phone to make calls for far less than 30 minutes a month. I sometimes have trouble sleeping and use my audio books on a low setting to stop my mind whirling on rubbish. I can’t think of anything negative apart of the replacement costs ? I buy out right and then put a sim in as it’s a lot cheaper that way. Had the last iphone nearly 5 years but two nasty drops put paid to it. Surely I can’t be the only one who makes use of all the functions

Compass, travel journal, magazines from library. Goodness it’s endless. I love it. As I said before somewhere, its not a phone anymore, its a pocket computer and as such I use it all the time. I love the fact that if I see a word that interests me I can check on its exact meaning or check out the history of something. Find my way to somewhere or back again. Just thought about the camera too. My daughter sends me texts of little things she has seen or thought about or photos of what the grandchildren are up to which is a great way to feel connected and know she is thinking about you too. I probably use the phone to make calls for far less than 30 minutes a month. I sometimes have trouble sleeping and use my audio books on a low setting to stop my mind whirling on rubbish. I can’t think of anything negative apart of the replacement costs ? I buy out right and then put a sim in as it’s a lot cheaper that way. Had the last iphone nearly 5 years but two nasty drops put paid to it. Surely I can’t be the only one who makes use of all the functions
Hi Silverweed. Do you do all of the things that you have listed on your IPhone only? What model do you have.
Thanks.

Yes I use all those apps and more. I had an iPhone 6s until I dropped it at the end of June and wanted to replace it whilst I could still transfer all the information over but nearly five years use I didn’t feel too bad about it and the battery was showing wear. I updated to an iPhone XR. I joined my local library years ago and found that they do on line borrowing but I found other county libraries that you can join on line without having to go there that use a different app so I can borrow from both without having to log out of them. The Bedfordshire one does magazines as well. I have an app for French weather, one that tells me when sun rise/set is on any given day which is great if you want an early start for something particular. Banking. FaceTime with the children. I love Notes as any snippet of information I need to remember I write there and then I’m not searching for where I wrote it. I have a diary of events I need to keep track of too

Last edited:
These work well and cheap

Attachments

• xgody.png
    xgody.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 14
  • xgody a.png
    xgody a.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 13
Phones for everything when away carry a lap top just in case but so far haven't used it in 2 years

I use a laptop, an android phone and an ipad... all of them interchangeable for anything and everything and I couldn't be without them.
One brilliant thing I've recently put on my phone is a digital app my local library uses, so I can borrow audio books to keep me company when driving. I know audible does the same thing but it's expensive and limits you to 1 book a month, so three cheers for the good old library (y)

My phone rings and I answer it (if I'm not driving). It has to be urgent for me to ring out on it.
It's pay as you go...and I'm a Yorkshireman.
iPad at home for everything else...or find a pub with free internet access when travelling.
Finding my way anywhere....that's what sat navs were invented for.

jenny still using the dell laptop have the acer sat on the table use it for playing around with different version of linux think the battery gone in acer as never unplug it powered all the time and did not want to keep moving it as hinges where broken but it is great when playing with new version of linux

I use my iphone for what phones are for everything else I use my iPad maps and social media and googling anything and everything shopping and recently when I am really really bored I use a jigsaw app and do jigsaws.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back