Is this the end of the camp fires ?

Heard a snippet on the news yesterday, they're thinking of phasing out gas hobs and moving everybody to induction. Seriously!
We were parked up beside a Dutch couple this year and they were telling us that in Holland new built houses are not allowed to be connected to the gas mains

The dead wood claimed in the woods is useful as bugs use it and is start of the food chain. A valuable resource is being burnt.
An American Indian saying; white man has big fire, has to stand back. Indian has small fire, can stand close.
One reason I avoid commercial campsites is because of the campfires and late night drinking and shrieking. Bah humbug

The dead wood claimed in the woods is useful as bugs use it and is start of the food chain. A valuable resource is being burnt.
An American Indian saying; white man has big fire, has to stand back. Indian has small fire, can stand close.
One reason I avoid commercial campsites is because of the campfires and late night drinking and shrieking. Bah humbug
Normally if a big fire is required,I tend to try for broken pallets etc so just stuff that would otherwise go to landfill. Small fire while on my travels, usually either some of the same or just a minimum fallen timber. Always try to leave any that looks like it's already been moved into & look for fresh fallen or broken dead branches still in the trees.

I think the amount of dead wood collected from woods is relatively small in the big scheme. Can't prove that statement, obviously, just a gut feel! :)
We have small patches of ancient woodland all around us where I live and I know for a fact that there are parts that never see humans from one year to the next and full of unspoiled nature, including lots of dead wood for critters.

Also there is often late night drinking at some of the meets, but if you go I think you'll find it's fairly civilised and shouldn't disturb your beauty sleep - many of us ain't drunken teenagers anymore and have a lot more sense! ;) :D

I think the amount of dead wood collected from woods is relatively small in the big scheme. Can't prove that statement, obviously, just a gut feel! :)
We have small patches of ancient woodland all around us where I live and I know for a fact that there are parts that never see humans from one year to the next and full of unspoiled nature, including lots of dead wood for critters.

Also there is often late night drinking at some of the meets, but if you go I think you'll find it's fairly civilised and shouldn't disturb your beauty sleep - many of us ain't drunken teenagers anymore and have a lot more sense! ;) :D
Not sure about the "lot more sense" bit..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well a huge beech tree was blown down over the wall from the farmyard and a lot came over into our garden last night, took all day until now to cut move, stack and dump as required with weeks more work to do to clear the big branches and trunk, so my wood burning stove is not going anywhere anytime soon!
And I will now get more sun in my garden so I can claim some solar benefits to all of this.
Mind you, my poor old drystone wall and gate will take some restoring and look a bit sad at the minute :(

K ;)

Marie my son is exactly the same as you he only burns seasoned wood and with him being a joiner he has surplus wood through his job, and he scavenges a lot he won’t entertain green wood as he says it doesn’t burn good!
This should be untreated timber though my son always tells me!!

This should be untreated timber though my son always tells me!!
He always burns untreated wood Carrerasax so my son tells me..we live next to the wood and no one is allowed to take the wind fall as they say it’s stealing and they said leave it for the bugs..

Maybe we will be like the germans on New Years but for fires?
"Enjoying New Year’s Eve with fireworks is easy if you stick to some simple rules and keep a few things in mind: According to German law, shops are only allowed to sell fireworks, rockets, wheels or bangers in the time period from Dec. 29 to 31. Except for children’s firecrackers, which are labelled “Klasse I” and may be used all through the year, regular fireworks, “Klasse II” fireworks, can only be purchased by adults.

Legally, fireworks may only be fired from midnight Dec. 31 until Jan. 1"

If only the UK had similar restrictions on fireworks! I'd vote for it :)
are you going up with a bag.no ok,pj

Don't laugh at the scented candles, have you looked at what they put in 'Yankee candles'? , pure poison!
they did in 1814,in new orleans, so be careful,light my fire,oh on,not them yankee's again, one trump,we all smell it. ok.pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back