Kitchen sink not draining

Vanterrier;n10200 said:
Coke or any cheap fizzy pop will do it but you would need a lot for your tank :Flushed_Face_Emoji: diluted bleach will do it. Fill it up and leave it a day or two then flush thoroughly

k

Ha, I need to get it empty first, hopefully without wearing any of the contents.

I don't think bleach will have any effect on grease, might make it smell a bit sweeter though. What's really needed is a reverse wash with a hose with a spray/jet nozzle on it.
When my waste tank got blocked the culprit turned out to be a couple of plastic discs left over from when the builders drill the pipe access holes.
Nowadays I mix a couple of dishwasher tablets in hot water and pour it down the sink just before a drive. It then sloshes around the waste tank and (hopefully) dissolves any build-up of nasties.

Have you tried pointing the garden hose pipe down the drain Kev?

Ray.

Hi Kev

I decided to replace the kitchen wastre pipe and when I got to it I found it almost flattened.

This had been caused by me trying to flush it out with BOILING water. Hot may be OK but be warned,

I would go for the chemical approach and warm water.

I hope today went well.

Regards

p-c

Hi

Sorry just read through properly, hospital was cancelled. Still hope you had a good day though.

We use some of the bio washing liquid that we carry for the loo.

Regards

p-c

I'll go the chemical route I think, can't introduce pressure as all the pipe is convoluted and none of it has any clamps on.

Pudsey Bear;n10465 said:
I'll go the chemical route I think, can't introduce pressure as all the pipe is convoluted and none of it has any clamps on.

Good idea, let it sit for a day or two then take her a run to slosh it about.

Terry

Are you certain your waste tank is empty and the tank drain valve or pipe isn't blocked.

Fazerloz;n10476 said:
Are you certain your waste tank is empty and the tank drain valve or pipe isn't blocked.

If that was the case it would come back up the shower tray Faz.

Ray.

The tank feels to be full, but is not emptying, been too cold and wet to get under it today, so job stopped for now :( :(

raynipper;n10498 said:
and

If that was the case it would come back up the shower tray Faz.

Ray.

Yes you would think so I agree. But in Oct I had a similar problem and it was the tank drain pipe that was blocked and there was no backup into the shower tray strangely. I got down blew the drain pipe clear and it emptied the tank and all was good then. 10 ltrs of cheap coke down the sink a drive about and fill and drain again and it brought out all the rest of the crap . No problems since.

The kitchen waste pipe appeared to be full, but not the bathroom one ???

Pudsey Bear;n10578 said:
The kitchen waste pipe appeared to be full, but not the bathroom one ???

Probably on a separate pipe of its own and no fatberg or whatever down it!

Any update Kev?

Graham
smile.gif

Sorry no G, been too bloody cold up here lately to be messing about with wet smelly stuff. I'll post when I actually get to it.

[QUOTE
you may have blown the pipe off the sink waste fitting , do you have access to underside of sink to check ?

This is indeed a possibility. We found the floor in front of the sink was getting wet, as were my feet when I emptied the bowl. Looking above the fridge into the little gap below the sink with a torch I saw the water running straight onto the top of the fridge, and forward onto the floor. Fortunately the van was sloping so it neatly bypassed the electrical bits on top of the fridge (stupid place to put them.
With the advice over the phone from our repairer we managed to remove the sink and reconnect the waste pipe. It has now got Duck tape holding it together as well as the 'push-fit'.

Yes good access under the sink and yes the plunger had forced a leak, so I put a pan under as you can see in the earlier picture to capture the water leaking I've since removed the pipe, and I'll look into getting rubber ones I can use a clip on, not sure where to get a range of sizes from though, I'll also replace the one on the waste tank it has a big split in it, and is knackered anyway.

Still too cold n wet to do anything much, but I pulled of the split part of the waste outlet hose which is convoluted, so I could measure the ID to get some smooth bore rubber pipe ordered, looked on Ebay, stupid prices, Googled it and I have two local suppliers within a couple of miles so I'll call into one tomorrow and pick up a length, at least then I can get cracking if we have a decent day.

Funny thing though, the inside and outside pipe are identical, but the fitting inside are smooth and the outside barbed, and no clips on the inside, but 4 clips n the outside, is it just me, but surely the inside remaining intact is more or at least as important to remain leak free.

Heck 3 days off being a month since I posted on this, although Xmas and that damned cold bug killed the chance of any work getting done.

Ok update, all sorted, dead easy as it happens, I delved deep into my hidden savings and threw money at it, got 5 x 17p 2ltr bottles of Morrisons coke, poured one down the bathroom sink, went for a drive weaving a like a dervish, lucky I didn't get pulled, got home and the pipe was only dribbling, anyway the weather gods smiled and it was both dry and not freezing, so I clambered seal style under the van, wagged the pipe, nowt, pulled on it and it almost fell off, waste peed out on the the floor in good strong steady stream, looked into end of the pipe, full of white crud, in the meantime I'd bought at great expense (£2) a new length of pipe, none corrugated, amd also clear, so I may attack it with that tomorrow.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back