Let's talk about it.

Allen

image.jpeg

This week is national organ transplant awareness week. The aim being to encourage discussion about organ transplantation.
The law in England is due to change next year to "Assumed Consent". Wales already has this in law.
To clarify, this means you are deemed to have given consent unless you opt out.
However it does NOT give automatic permission for your organs to be taken for transplant after your death.
It simply means the carrying of a donor card is redundant.
Your family will ALWAYS have the final say. Hence the need for promotion weeks like this.

Please, if you wish to donate your organs after death, have the discussion with your family. Make them aware of your wishes.

I was lucky enough to receive a much needed kidney last year because a complete stranger had the discussion with family.
Many others are still waiting.

A quandary ; My father died a couple of years ago and gave his body to Leeds University for medical research, they covered all the costs and afterwards they sent us the ashes. Now I'm seriously considering this option but I've also signed up on the donor register, so, will they take the bits that are useful before research or does it need to be one or the other?

Taken from the above link.....

Can I leave my body for medical research after organ donation?
We will not accept your body for medical research:

if you have donated your organs, or
after a post-mortem
But, if you donated only your corneas, you can leave your body for research

A quandary ; My father died a couple of years ago and gave his body to Leeds University for medical research, they covered all the costs and afterwards they sent us the ashes. Now I'm seriously considering this option but I've also signed up on the donor register, so, will they take the bits that are useful before research or does it need to be one or the other?

I have done the same to the Univerity of East Anglia.
The way I looked at it was its "pay back time". Let the future doctors and nurses benefit from learning on a corpse. MINE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back