Linux!

The easy way (saves editing the registry and disabling services), Why you would want to disable them is beyond me though, I don't think the security risks are worth it :unsure: No use blaming Windows for security problems if you don't install the updates :(

Regards,
Del
My mate can break into any win pc quite fast,not to secure ,just look at some banks and other biz that have been caught out with infections and snipers getting in.

Interesting thing about Ubuntu (one of the most popular distros) is that the newest version comes with 9 months updates and then you will need to upgrade to the newer version so apart from Win10 doing the updates automatically I don't see any real difference, all operating systems need to be updated in order to stay secure. I believe that Apple and Linux users are lulled into a false sense of security at least with Windows you expect to be comprised at some stage lol.

Regards,
Del

My mate can break into any win pc quite fast,not to secure ,just look at some banks and other biz that have been caught out with infections and snipers getting in.
I can reset a Linux root password in around 3 minutes from the command line so I don't see the difference.

Regards,
Del
I stand corrected, just tried and it took a little longer than 3 minutes, I forgot you need to remove the grub password first :(

Last edited:
The reason Linux and Apple users feel secure is because Windows is the most used operating system, so people who want to compromise you computers will go for whatever gives them the best chance of success. If and when Linux gets to be the biggest OS in use then watch things change. I am guilty of some of this as it’s only a year or so I turned on the Apple firewall and not long after when I got protection against virus and malware.

Everybody should regularly update whatever system they use and make sure it is secure with anti virus software from a reputable company.

Another thing to remember with Linux is it’s only the big distro’s that produce the original code that will have permanent staff working for them. This doesn’t usually matter as help and advice is normally very quick from enthusiasts.

I've been on Ubuntu for the past 2 years or so. It installs like windows (better actually, it's quicker!). The only hard(ish) part was getting the distro onto the usb stick, but that was relatively easy once I found the correct webpage to follow.

DarkTable is another program for photo management (similar to Lightbox, although I've never used Lightbox).

I use VirtualBox with the free Win7 and it's easy enough.

Don't know anything about email clients - I prefer online services, and tend to keep anything important online, I've had too many HDD failures.

Mind you - I'm a web-dev who 'sort of' knows what I'm doing, and I'm not afraid to tinker (to much).

I can reset a Linux root password in around 3 minutes from the command line so I don't see the difference.

Regards,
Del
I stand corrected, just tried and it took a little longer than 3 minutes, I forgot you need to remove the grub password first :(
How are you going to get in with passwords etc to do so,even if you use a forensic disk my home folders are encripted and some stored in cloud or on pens,so nought to find.

I've been on Ubuntu for the past 2 years or so. It installs like windows (better actually, it's quicker!). The only hard(ish) part was getting the distro onto the usb stick, but that was relatively easy once I found the correct webpage to follow.

DarkTable is another program for photo management (similar to Lightbox, although I've never used Lightbox).

I use VirtualBox with the free Win7 and it's easy enough.

Don't know anything about email clients - I prefer online services, and tend to keep anything important online, I've had too many HDD failures.

Mind you - I'm a web-dev who 'sort of' knows what I'm doing, and I'm not afraid to tinker (to much).
Unet bootin is the programme which you must install to pen first,something i have not done but my mate uses this method.

How are you going to get in with passwords etc to do so,even if you use a forensic disk my home folders are encripted and some stored in cloud or on pens,so nought to find.
What makes you think my folders aren't encrypted? In fact I still useTruecrypt, the one that Snowden (The Whistle Blower) used, it's so good the US and UK governments got it closed down (actually blaming MS for the fact they stopped support for XP, 7 and 8 but I use it on 10) along with every other program he used.
I'm not saying Linux isn't any good, like I've said in previous posts I use Slackware for my servers and Asterisk installed on Debian for my phone systems and have been since 2000 I prefer these distros because I can easily install only the components I need and I use the command line for configuring eveything. I just can't understand why everyone keeps slagging Windows off, if it's that bad don't use it after all if it wasn't for Windows bringing computers to the masses we'd still be using typewriters for our important letters. There's a place for every operating system and as Nabsim pointed out it's the users responsability to ensure their computers are up to date, I haven't had any of my machines comprised, not even the ones with Windows on.

Regards,
Del

Best OS if you're really serious about security but because it's not easy to use most people will never try it, shame really.

Regards,
Del

Az
...if it after all if it wasn't for Windows bringing computers to the masses we'd still be using typewriters for our important letters.....

Regards,
Del

Umm.... WordStar and WordPerfect for example?
I used to use WordStar under DR-Dos and Desqview.

One thing for using linux apart from being secure is thats it costs nothing boots fast dont crash and so many flavers to try,i had probs with win from day one and gave up after xp.
I dont know a lot about computors etc but there now seems to be a lot of linux users coming out of the woodwork here now,why not keep sharing the info to help other who wish to jump ship.

Az

Umm.... WordStar and WordPerfect for example?
I used to use WordStar under DR-Dos and Desqview.
Me too, wonder where they've gone? I didn't say MS invented the PC but by putting a GUI on top of DOS they certaiinly made it easier for the masses to use it.

Regards,
Del

They weren't the only ones, though. My first experience of a GUI was GEM (used with Ventura Publisher) well before Windows made inroads into DOS. Apple also had something in the early days. However, ISTR that Xerox Palo Alto Research Centre (PARC) were the first with the idea.

They weren't the only ones, though. My first experience of a GUI was GEM (used with Ventura Publisher) well before Windows made inroads into DOS. Apple also had something in the early days. However, ISTR that Xerox Palo Alto Research Centre (PARC) were the first with the idea.
Like I said before, apart from Apple where are they now?
Like it or not Bill Gates was the one with the vision, he said from the beginning everyone will have at least one computer in the home while Thomas Watson (Chairman of IBM) was saying "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" and Ken Olson (President and founder of Digital Equipment Corporation) said "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" Easy enough to see why those two are relatively unknown and Gates went on to become the richest man in world.

Regards,
Del

Regards,
Del

Where are they now? They're still around, albeit losers for the desktop. Digital Research moved sideways, having been swallowed up by Novell. Xerox are now into printing. However, PARC is still a powerhouse of innovation. The idea of WIMP GUIs was PARC's -- and they're really the ones with the vision, not Bill Gates IMO.

IMO MS got the upper hand by use of strategy that made it at least expensive for large-scale OEMs to switch to rival OSs and would probably be illegal now. Back in the day, just about everyone sued everyone else and it was those with the best lawyers and the sneakiest strategists that seemed to prevail. The US authorities investigated and forced MS to switch licensing model. DR sued and won extensive damages, but the harm had already been done, MS-DOS had gained unshakeable dominance and so GEM had no real chance. MS engaged in further dodgy practice by using undocumented APIs to ensure that some MS products would only run on its own versions of DOS.

Meanwhile, UNIX was ticking away quietly and various implementations were employed in just about everything other than the desktop and DEC (Vax). UNIX-clone GNU was born from a belief that software should be free (as in "free speech" rather than "free beer"!) The stage was now set for Linus Torvalds, who started work on a Minix-compatible kernel, and Linux was born. However, there is still an issue with unfair competition as it's almost impossible to buy a new PC (i.e. x86 or x64) that doesn't have Windows installed. I understand that this is because MS has a contract with most (if not all) major OEMs, who are obliged to bundle Windows with their product. So about the only way I can find to get a new machine without Windows is to be your own OEM: To purchase a barebones system and add memory, hard drive, etc., buy a kit, or to buy all the components separately -- but the latter will probably cost more than the equivalent pre-built machine with Windows installed.

You have been able to buy desktop and laptops with Linux on for quite a while now. You don’t get the same choice as there isn’t the same demand at the moment as there is for Windows. Chrome books also have been available for quite some time but again it hasn’t yet got the take up.

MS has been moving what it does for some time now and they have been putting a lot of stock in to the Surface Pro. The hardware is good on the Surface and MS is looking to take on Apple I reckon. I haven’t used the new surface books but I have used the surface pro and I much prefer my MacBook to that. A lot would prefer the surface though but for me the screen is far too small for my old eyes. It can’t be long before there is a backlash from manufacturers though as the MS hardware has steadily been eating into their market. MS have been clever again though and are massively invested in the cloud and could easily offer thin client machines.

Anyone who can take nearly 90% of any market can't be doing everything wrong ;)

Regards,
Del

You have been able to buy desktop and laptops with Linux on for quite a while now. [...]
I've tried and failed. Some pointers would be welcome.

FWIW, the last three machines that I've bought new (excluding SBCs) were bought as either kits or barebones systems without an OS. I then installed whichever Linux distro I fancied. I currently have two Gigabyte mini-ITXs running Debian. The oldest of the three systems has a dodgy power supply and failing HDD, so it's currently gathering dust awaiting repair.

I currently have two Gigabyte mini-ITXs running Debian.
Debian, my favourite Linux Distro, a true free OS in every sense of the meaning :)

Regards,
Del

I've tried and failed. Some pointers would be welcome.
Hi Geoff, it looks like things may have changed a bit since I last took note. I remember seeing Ubuntu or Red Hat machines offered fro sale at PCWorld but not finding any on a quick look this morning, I am in the van but will look more when I am home.

dell still do them and have done for years, the issue may not be if you can get one but how much you pay as they can be seen as a niche market. Some of the machines here don’t seem so bad prices for pre-built Linux systems

Regarding your mini ITX box, some of the small case PSU’s can be very pricey and we have found some are very susceptible to power fluctuations. Have you looked at using a Pico power supply and a power brick? I find mini-it’s.com useful when looking or this stuff even if just for pointers

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back