LPG availability again...

Vanterrier

I have just read in MMM magazine that someone was unable to use a Morrisons forecourt LPG pump as their policy was for filling LPG cars only and not Motorhome tanks.
I have used Morrisons pumps before and had no problem so is this something new I wonder.
With pumps disappearing off Shell and BP forecourts it makes me wonder how long it will be before LPG availability becomes truly problematical.
Perhaps larger Motorhome main dealers should re-invest some of their profits by installing LPG pumps as a service to their customers?
K :(

That’s strange as Morrison’s actually allow lose cylinders to be filled (direct fill type) not just fixed tanks. I suspect it may have been a staff member unaware of policy

This has already been replied to on other sites, have a proper refill set up and you will be ok, Morrisons support safefill systems.
My localish shell station has just been redeveloped and have retained their LPG pump.
Just don't start fiddling about in gas lockers, external filling points rule.

Here’s the advice from the Petroleum Enforcement Liaison Group.
The relevant section states;

LPG containers that are securely attached to a vehicle (e.g. camper van)
for heating or cooking purposes may be filled from the autogas dispenser
on the proviso that they: - remain in-situ for re-filling;
- are fitted with an internal device to physically prevent filling
beyond 80% of the full capacity; and
- are a fixed filling connector which is not part of the vessel.

I think this Morrisons story originated a few years ago and has long since proved to be a localised problem. Not all BP forecourts have lost their lpg, I believe the independently operated ones still have the option and hopefully the same will apply to independent Shell forecourts.

Wasn't there a sheet to print out from Morrisons regarding the filling of lpg motorhome wise on their forecourts?

The article doesnt say which Store it was but the writer claimed they spoke to management in the store who advised "H&S rules do not permit filling of motorhomes LPG tanks". Sounds like somone is mis-applying some guidelines probably intended to stop anyone from filling bottles?
I used the store in Keighley and had no issues.
K ;)

People seem to like hiding behind H&S and Data Protection as an excuse for not doing things.
whereas in France, H&S doesn’t seem to exist, you are responsible for yourself, and I don’t think they do Data Protection because if you stay very long somewhere, everybody knows everything about you......

If it was official H&S we wouldn’t be allowed to fill up anywhere. Ill informed people who don’t really understand something will blame H&S or someone else’s rules.

This came up months ago. All forecourt staff were made aware of what could and what could not be filled.
Refer them to the letter sent down from on high, okay, Wakefield, by a Ms Kahn.

Thank you for contacting Morrisons

The safety of our customers and colleagues is our paramount concern. We take great care to
ensure that our petrol stations are safe environments and apply robust controls to reduce
the risk of fire and explosion and comply with all relevant health and safety legislation.

The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with automotive LPG tanks. For
safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable
cylinders or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

We are aware that some domestic tanks or portable cylinders are adapted or designed for
use with automotive LPG pumps. However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience, but believe that a blanket ban on the
refuelling of non-automotive LPG tanks is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers
and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
Customer Services
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

The safety of our customers and colleagues is our paramount concern. We take great care to
ensure that our petrol stations are safe environments and apply robust controls to reduce
the risk of fire and explosion and comply with all relevant health and safety legislation.

The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with automotive LPG tanks. For
safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable
cylinders or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

We are aware that some domestic tanks or portable cylinders are adapted or designed for
use with automotive LPG pumps. However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience, but believe that a blanket ban on the
refuelling of non-automotive LPG tanks is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers
and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
Customer Services
What is the date on the letter? Seems inconsistent with their recent decision to allow the filling of Safefill bottles.

When did you get this?

and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
Customer Services

Sometimes people are their own worst enemies. Keep your head down, and quietly fill at those Morrison’s which either permit it or turn a blind eye.
People keep poking them with a stick because one or two station refuse and the answer is nobody gets to fuel. It is easier to say no to things than yes. It is not as if their whole profitability will be under pressure from the loss of a few Motorhomes buying £5 of lpg every few months.

Davy

my 2 local Morrison’s do not have LPG pumps and so I haven’t had the displeasure of being refused a fill up (luckily my local Calor agent is very cheap) however, if either of them were able to dispense gas and I’d been refused, then they would lose £200 a month on average spend in them. Again, that’s an insignificant mount in terms of their massive turnover - but every little helps ;)

I have just read in MMM magazine that someone was unable to use a Morrisons forecourt LPG pump as their policy was for filling LPG cars only and not Motorhome tanks.
I have used Morrisons pumps before and had no problem so is this something new I wonder.
With pumps disappearing off Shell and BP forecourts it makes me wonder how long it will be before LPG availability becomes truly problematical.
Perhaps larger Motorhome main dealers should re-invest some of their profits by installing LPG pumps as a service to their customers?
K :(
There's a very useful app called Filllpg. Its a excellent app shows every where that sells lpg along with the price. It covers all Uk Ireland and all of Europe. I hope you find this useful.

There's a very useful app called Filllpg. Its a excellent app shows every where that sells lpg along with the price. It covers all Uk Ireland and all of Europe. I hope you find this useful.

Initially I thought what a brilliant app but then on 2 different occasions I went to one of the listed locations in Wales only to discover that the garage had stopped selling LPG 2 years previously and then when over in Norfolk a couple or so week later I had a virtually identical experience at another garage!

Mind you there are loads of other LPG stations that are correctly listed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back