LPG availability again...

I have found filllpg to be always accurate, so far... it was even good in France which was a surprise as for some reason I thought it was just UK?
K ;)

That’s strange as Morrison’s actually allow lose cylinders to be filled (direct fill type) not just fixed tanks. I suspect it may have been a staff member unaware of policy
Morrison's made a bit of a splurge in the press with SafeFill not so long ago about being up to speed with the regs so I suspect a staff issue.

Initially I thought what a brilliant app but then on 2 different occasions I went to one of the listed locations in Wales only to discover that the garage had stopped selling LPG 2 years previously and then when over in Norfolk a couple or so week later I had a virtually identical experience at another garage!

Mind you there are loads of other LPG stations that are correctly listed.
I hope you updated the database while you were there.
Generally most locations have recent confirmation of status whenever I've looked for a specific site.

I hope you updated the database while you were there.

Urrrrrrr I would if I had one of those mobile phone devices but I don't, you see I like peace and quiet!

I had downloaded onto my lap top the areas I was touring in and to be honest I haven't been onto the site for several weeks, perhaps I should and update with my experiences.

Phil

It might save someone else a wasted journey - we must surmise that they weren't getting a lot of visitors or else the app would have shown their correct status.

Am I right in thinking that the VAT on lpg would be 5% for heating against 20% for road fuel.

Initially I thought what a brilliant app but then on 2 different occasions I went to one of the listed locations in Wales only to discover that the garage had stopped selling LPG 2 years previously and then when over in Norfolk a couple or so week later I had a virtually identical experience at another garage!

The colour of the marker shows if the price is under / over 2 months old. If under 2 month there is a good chance it is still open.

To help others:-
1) If you use a station please update the price (which also updates date last used) even if no change.
2) Update to "no longer available" if you find a closed station.

Unavailable have a cross on the main screen. The colour actually represents the last reported price green is low red is high.
If you click on the station you get the date of the status so a very old update should raise a concern - it might be possible to ring them if you are going to be going out of your way.
Obviously all this is easier on a mobile phone when you are out and about - which we know is not your preference.
With the app on a phone it regularly self updates so you have the best available information.

Last edited:
Corre
Am I right in thinking that the VAT on lpg would be 5% for heating against 20% for road fuel.
Correct - the big difference is in fuel duty which is very low and in 2018 the chancellor promised to maintain that until 2032

How would we tell which percentage duty a supplier charged, IE in a supermarket station?

I think you can safely assume any forecourt selling petrol and diesel will be charging the road fuel rate. You might get the lower rate from a depot selling only to the domestic market.

If the pump says 'Autogas" it'll have road duty and 20% VAT.
I suspect that the pumps have sealed meters that can be checked by 'revenue" to ensure correct duty paid.
A good few years back it was not uncommon for domestic tanks to be altered to allow home refilling of cars - duty free was one of the keys points at the time.

If the pump says 'Autogas" it'll have road duty and 20% VAT.
I suspect that the pumps have sealed meters that can be checked by 'revenue" to ensure correct duty paid.
A good few years back it was not uncommon for domestic tanks to be altered to allow home refilling of cars - duty free was one of the keys points at the time.
We looked in to selling road fuel to owner drivers when I was at the quarry and we needed to get the pumps tested and certified and then keep them certified. Because of the cost to the quarry and the small number who were interested in buying we didn’t bother. I would think this is the case for lpg as you say, if there is tax you need certification and testing

Thanks for post re Morrisons. Noted!
We live in S. Wirral , Cheshire, and there is now only 1 Shell station fairly near us that still sells LPG. Also just found out ASDA at Deeside has LPG which is handy on our way back home from N. Wales trips.
It's a bit like a treasure hunt trying to find places that still provide this service, and apps. Re finding garages are not updated in our experience! 😕

Hi Everyone for those who live around Southampton!!
The Shell station in Southampton on Thomas Lewis Way has recently been refurbished and no longer sells LPG, this was my go to station for LPG so now it’s Winchester Shell at Winnall.
Best Wishes Tony

Hi Everyone for those who live around Southampton!!
The Shell station in Southampton on Thomas Lewis Way has recently been refurbished and no longer sells LPG, this was my go to station for LPG so now it’s Winchester Shell at Winnall.
Best Wishes Tony

Might this fuel station be closer :-
Still open and selling gas on 12/12/19
Esso
Station ID:1418
A36 near Ower. SO51 6GF

Or if it isn't too far out of the way, you could always pop along to the Calor outlet in Portsmouth
calor gas
Station ID:2058
3D Voyager Park N, Portfield road Portsmouth PO3 5FN

Mind you there are loads of other LPG stations that are correctly listed.
Yes I found that on many occasions hopelessly out of date

I live next to a BP petrol station who used to sell lpg now don't the other Bp on edge of town does sell lpg but the manager when on comes and checks before switching on the pump
As for morrisons must look out and try

Yes I found that on many occasions hopelessly out of date
Most of the site data is very recent if one sees an old date the exercise caution - one can always Google and telephone.
Of course it's good form to update anything we find shut down to help others.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back