MOT extension

Mine's side marker lights have never all worked, yet it passes MOTs like that, with no advisories.

Mine's side marker lights have never all worked, yet it passes MOTs like that, with no advisories.
you have a dodgy MOT station then :)

Unless of course your particular van has side markers that were not actually legally required, of course. (you will probably find that they are not actually wired up and are just reflectors if they have never worked)

you have a dodgy MOT station then :)

Unless of course your particular van has side markers that were not actually legally required, of course. (you will probably find that they are not actually wired up and are just reflectors if they have never worked)
Well, three different MOT stations must be dodgy, or the wires and lamps inside the reflectors must be imaginary

Or perhaps you are wrong. I wonder which it is.

Well, three different MOT stations must be dodgy, or the wires and lamps inside the reflectors must be imaginary

Or perhaps you are wrong. I wonder which it is.
Sounds like you have a crap service program if they have never worked and can't be repaired (or maybe they are wired up but not connected to a switch)

or ... maybe they are not needed for YOUR van and hence why the MOT testers don't need to comment on the poor standard of your vehicle maintenance?

Sounds like you have a crap service program if they have never worked and can't be repaired (or maybe they are wired up but not connected to a switch)

or ... maybe they are not needed for YOUR van and hence why the MOT testers don't need to comment on the poor standard of your vehicle maintenance?
There is no switch. They're powered by the OS tail light. The wires or connectors have failed. Not sure when, but they've not worked for at least eight years.

If they are not needed, why is not repairing them a poor standard of maintenance?

If they are needed, why aren't they mentioned at MOT time?

There is no switch. They're powered by the OS tail light. The wires or connectors have failed. Not sure when, but they've not worked for at least eight years.

If they are not needed, why is not repairing them a poor standard of maintenance?

If they are needed, why aren't they mentioned at MOT time?
Who said they were legally needed on your vehicle? just because something has been fitted (and badly by the sound of it) it doesn't follow it is automatically a legal requirement. That is why they have not failed the MOT as they are seem to be not required for your vehicle. Can it be any more obvious?? do you need further explanation about why your vehicle is not failing the MOT because the marker lights are not working?

If they are fitted and WORKING then they would connected to a switch - the switch that turns the sidelights on (it is just the wiring would be via the taillight connection. They are still connected ultimately to the switch).
They are a useful safety feature (otherwise they probably wouldn't have been fitted in the first place, and not maintaining a safety feature IS a sign of poor maintenance and a derelictious owner)

Last edited:
I'm sure that Hymer could learn a lot from you. Why don't you tell them?
No point telling me: I don't care enough to take any notice.

I'm sure that Hymer could learn a lot from you. Why don't you tell them?
No point telling me: I don't care enough to take any notice.
Hymer fitted them for safety reasons I would think as a responsible company. They probably hoped that a caring owner would keep up the maintance of the vehicle to a reasonable standard rather then let it deteroriate to such an extent that safety features were willingly ignored.
But they can't control what kind of person ends up owning their products.

Hymer fitted them for safety reasons I would think as a responsible company. They probably hoped that a caring owner would keep up the maintance of the vehicle to a reasonable standard rather then let it deteroriate to such an extent that safety features were willingly ignored.
But they can't control what kind of person ends up owning their products.
Oh they can. They price them out of your budget.

Pity there aren’t more smileys I could think of one that would fit nicely here. Why so offensive @in h ?

just shows why they don’t use the slogan the nicest people drive hymers huh

On a happier note, my Guzzi past its test today :love: Apparently though when we checked, the date for the test had been put back until mid January, but I had it done anyway

my car was due on 29th June, now when i log on it says 29th december, this only changed yesterday. so it is still going.

My Qashqai failed miserably today. I could have left it to December but preferred to have it checked. Quite a lot of money but better to have a fully roadworthy vehicle I think.

MOT tests specifically don't allow any dismantling as part of the test, so although fixing "two loose bolts in the engine" is a good thing, I don't see how an MOT test would find them.

More to the point, how come they were loose in the first place?
The mechanic wondered that as well. He found that as I had said there was an unusual noise on start up; so he said he would have a look. He is very good at checking things for me. The motorhome is going in for a service to the same garage on 1st July when I unsorn it.

Reactions: Rec
Didn't fancy waiting till December for my MOT, too cold to work on it.
Got it home yesterday with a new shocker which I kinda expected, the rest all good, so I'm happy.
Didn't mean to start a war:cool::eek: ;);)

Some MoT places will do the check and repairs but put them down as failures on test but then immediately issue a 'retest" pass.
This enables them to earn 'brownie' points with DVSA as too high first time pass rate is flagged on their system apparently.

I general terms side marker lights are required for HGV motorhomes.
I too would consider it good practice to maintain stuff provided by the manufacturer/converter.
If I was plod I might be minded to think that lack of obvious maintenance might be an indicator of other possible issues and look a bit harder.

I just called my garage to find out what the score was with MOT tests.
He told me that the testing station that he uses had received an email from DOT telling him that the MOT extension had been stopped.
This was three weeks ago and no mention in the press.
So if we have a bump our insurance is invalid.
I would check up just in case.
I'm booked in for tomorrow. 😭😭
i hope all gose well, ok.pj. keep on the left, in great and i said, great britain, do you no what , two fingers many, yes peace and love,ok.pj.

They would have been bad before the MOT I bet :)
Too many people treat the MOT as their annual safety check. That is a very bad habit!
oh no it is not, i do every thing,but, the guys, hough do mine no the score. i pay they like it. ok pj.

Saw a neighbour with his son who works for Vosa today with this in mind I asked about vehicles requiring side marker lights He said commerical vehicles over 6 mtrs where required to have them but no passenger vehicles / motorhomes where

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back