MOT runs out in Days - Bumper Repair being booked in Months Later! What to do?

jacksatlast

Hi Folks,

Can't seem to find the answer to my question online regarding a repair that is going to be booked months in advance due to importing a bumper part, (The whole panel including numberplate and reversing camera is missing) that will fail the MOT if taken in a few days time as its missing!
I know if the MOT fails you can leave the van with the MOT station to repair or take it back a few days later to repair but this has to go to an Adria body repair centre, not the usual MOT garage. I really need to know if I can leave renewing the MOT until after the repair as the van sits on our drive or do I need to actually go through SORN and notify my insurance?

I don't plan to claim on the insurance as the fault was ours and I hear all our insurance for other vehicles can go up as a consequence. May have to claim if quote is a silly price as I suspect but want to avoid that if possible.

Best way forward, please.
J

IMG_1354.jpg

Sorn it.
Get it to repair place and then mot place.
Check with dvla police insurance.
Surely without bumper you have to recover it to bumper repair garage ?
Then book mot garage and drive it directly for mot !

some of the rules are very simple ....
If you have no MOT you cannot Tax it.
If it would fail the MOT as of now, it could be deemed as unroadworthy so doesn't matter if you have a few days left, still not usable.
I am not sure if you need the bumper there to be MOTed? you do need the numberplate and numberplate lights of course, but you could tape the plate on the back (lights bit trickier).
If you cannot Tax it, you must SORN it otherwise you can be prosecuted for no Tax.
You don't need Tax or MOT to insure it and it is very unlikely you need to inform your Insurer, but you might want to just to make sure.
If you tell the insurer why you are SORNing it, you may as well make a claim as well as they will log the fact as an incident (doesn't matter if you claim or not, it is an incident).

End of the day, SORN van, inform insurer SORNed as won't be using it for a while (optional probably). Might need to get a transporter to get van taken to bodyshop UNLESS they are also an MOT station, in which case drive it there to an MOT pre-booking (in the daytime and tape plate to back)

Surely it would be possible to fashion a temporary rear bumper from timber or plastic. You could then mount lights and number plate in a more acceptable way. The bumper does not offer any practical protection to the rear end these days so might be looked on favourably if it looked half decent. Might be worth talking to your mot centre to see if this temporary solution would meet with regulations.

Davy

Surely it would be possible to fashion a temporary rear bumper from timber or plastic. You could then mount lights and number plate in a more acceptable way.
Davy
That would be all it needs to pass MOT. But to be sure take a pic to MOT station and ask them whats their opinion. But you'll need mot to take it to have those repairs done not necessarily at a adria dealer any fabricator should be able to make that bumper

Could you secure a lighting board where the bumper should be? Long as it's secure, & carries your reg plate that might satisfy the mot man. Other method would be a length of upvc soffet or fascia board cut to size, screwed in place with a number plate screwed on. This advice comes to you from Bodgingbear....🐻😉👍

I would, look at fabricating one in aluminium easily bent between 2 lengths angle iron paint and bolt on . Or use white plastic bonded with sickaflex ,not structural so could work until a proper fix, if you don't have the skill level would not be difficult for most bodyshops,

Last edited:
From the MoT Manual.
6.1.4. Bumpers
Defect Category
(a) Bumper:

(i) insecure or with damage likely to cause injury when grazed or contacted
(ii) likely to become detached

Major
Dangerous

From the MoT Manual.
6.1.4. Bumpers
Defect Category
(a) Bumper:

(i) insecure or with damage likely to cause injury when grazed or contacted
(ii) likely to become detached

Major
Dangerous
But what about not there? Not insecure or likely to fall off.

Hello Folks, Thanks for so many great replies. Were going to try a trailer lighting board if the MOT station locally says it's okay but if not we will SORN as we are going to wait a while for the replacement bumper. Even booking in for any service repairs were looking at 2/3 months down here. Two garages, one our original seller 11 years ago doesn't even want to take on the job! Guess they're busy selling new ones these days and sited not enough room at the yard. I get that in these times.

We were hoping to sell exchange this at the end of this year so will try for the Adria part wait. Next job. Check insurance company situ.

I would just ring the MOT station and offer to send a picture via email and go from there, if they say fail, maybe ring a couple of others are there are many jobsworths in MOT stations, for good reason, from your pic it looks lights are on the remaining bit, the only issue I see is possible jagged edges so some duct tape would make them safe.

Hello Folks, Thanks for so many great replies. Were going to try a trailer lighting board if the MOT station locally says it's okay but if not we will SORN as we are going to wait a while for the replacement bumper. Even booking in for any service repairs were looking at 2/3 months down here. Two garages, one our original seller 11 years ago doesn't even want to take on the job! Guess they're busy selling new ones these days and sited not enough room at the yard. I get that in these times.

We were hoping to sell exchange this at the end of this year so will try for the Adria part wait. Next job. Check insurance company situ.
Many [including myself] have used place in Canvey Island for this type of repair . Guaranteed to be cheaper than manufacturer

Looking at the pic it would be sufficient for mot purposes to get a piece of aluminium sheet folded up in a c section and screw to existing ends . you could then mount a number plate . and suitable illumination . There is no structural standard to meet on this type of vehicle . HTSH .

The C profile is to ensure no sharp edges and to make it not likely to flap about .

Looking at the pic it would be sufficient for mot purposes to get a piece of aluminium sheet folded up in a c section and screw to existing ends . you could then mount a number plate . and suitable illumination . There is no structural standard to meet on this type of vehicle . HTSH .

The C profile is to ensure no sharp edges and to make it not likely to flap about .
Having replaced the lower rear moulding on my last coach built, I agree wholeheartedly with this suggestion. These things are not bumpers in the accepted sense. They have no ability to resist or absorb shock but merely act as prettily styled supports for the rear light clusters and to hide unsightly panel joints.
I would seriously consider RV2MAX's suggestion as a permanent fix. Plus ,have it painted to match.

As above..... Have a word with a local sheet metal workers....
Doddle to fold up something suitable and have it painted to suit (id expect change out of £100 too)

Couple of these to hold (and illuminate) number plate and wired in appropriately

And jobs a good un

Hi
Although I and everyone else would refer to the the missing section as a bumper it is a section of decorative trim. Any rules appertaining to bumpers are irrelevant. The bare edges of the corner trims need to be covered to prevent injuries to pedestrians. Attach a trailer lighting board with a number plate and wire in to your loom making sure it has all the required lights, i.e. no plate lights. One thing to check is if the lights need to be within a prescribed distance from the edge of the vehicle. I am not sure on this but it will be in the construction and use regs. As you probably know you can drive your vehicle to a test centre without tax if it is booked in. If you get this squared away you can have the replacement part fitted at the convenience of you and the repairer and still use it.

If this is the rear bumper then AW Marine can supply and fit, the rear lights are different but the middle section might be the same, if not they can adapt it
Adriatik-Adria-rear-bumper.jpg

They couldn't supply my front bumper but they fitted a later model with wheel arches to match

It’s nothing more than a piece of trim and should be treated as such a couple of profiled upvc window boards bonded in place with pu40 would be more than sufficient to hang a number plate or trailer board on and could be made to look extremely neat. Far easier to diy than bending a sheet of alloy

if it needs to be grey then a good alternative would be composite decking it’s very strong and imho looks the part I used it cover the gaps where the tail lift on

viola.

15838DB4-C9F5-4898-BA64-D512D06C1450.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back