Motor home rip off

Good point. Forgot some people still have to deal with that four letter word.lol

This is a frequent scenario. An individual posts a question and may or may not return.
However in my view it refreshes the topic being asked about and may act, as in this case, to those intending to buy in the near to intermediate future as a useful piece of advice.
Occasionally the topic may have more recent information regarding technical, or other aspects impinging and therefore help bring people up to date on changes etc.
Finally these posts help keep the forum alive and relevant. There are often occasions when I visit this forum and wonder if it is a Motorhome forum or a quiz site! Luckily I don’t mind and am sad enough to be visiting about six other forums a day.

Davy

Even if there is HP outstanding it is far from clear cut that the finance company can reclaim the vehicle.
They have to prove that the current owner does not have 'good title'
As listed in Mr&Mrs T link if the OP has evidence of purchase, receipts and adverts etc then every likelihood of hanging onto it.
Maybe Trotter and Trevskoda advice not so far from the mark 😀😀

As you say this is all a bit academic but worth knowing anyway in case we know someone who gets caught out.
Still probably worth getting HPI check rather than relying on being legally right but having hassle with pushy debt chasers though 😀

Still probably worth getting HPI check rather than relying on being legally right but having hassle with pushy debt chasers though 😀
I would say an HPI check is a must on any vehicle that's worth more than a couple of grand :(

Regards,
Del

Not the OPs problem if he got the V5 signed by the owner.
But yes - another thing to check before parting with cash.

Not the OPs problem if he got the V5 signed by the owner.
But yes - another thing to check before parting with cash.
But the V5 isn't proof of of ownership, it actually tells you that on the front page ;)

V5C_Sample.jpg

Regards,
Del

True - I'd always thought that V5 had space(s) for seller to sign, but I see there aren't.
However DVLA don't seem to differentiate between owner and keeper in the transfer process.
A Finance company might own the vehicle but it is a criminal offence to sell the vehicle without clearing any outstanding money owed.
So by the time a buyer is given the transfer slip it is reasonable to assume the vehicle is without charge.

Hiding until legality's are sorted sounds like good advice if there is a tracker don't forget to turn it off if anyone else has tracker access code

I'd always thought that V5 had space(s) for seller to sign, but I see there aren't.
There is nowhere at all for anyone to sign on the latest V5's as is so easily changed online. I guess a purchase reciept would help prove ownership.

Thank you all. I bought the van through eBay and payed with PayPal. Yes it was from Unbeatable hire. They say there was a charge against the vehicle lodged at company house

Why i said hide it is simple, the persons wanting money through a solictor may be chancing there arm, it would takes years with cov 19 to even try to get you to a court at there expence, it will never happen, also you have good title and dont forget that.
So by the time taken to court the vh will have lost value, maybe less than that of which they wish to recover, go to a legal eagle and get it resolved, after that you may be able to counter by charging for storage and maintaning it.

@Me359
Did you buy from Unbeatable or a 3rd party?
Either way you are First private owner and so long as you believed that it was charge free when you bought it then it's yours.
I still can't understand why it's taken 18 months for someone to come to you.

@Me359
Did you buy from Unbeatable or a 3rd party?
Either way you are First private owner and so long as you believed that it was charge free when you bought it then it's yours.
I still can't understand why it's taken 18 months for someone to come to you.
Bought through eBay and paid through PayPal. On log book there is one previous owner..think there was quite a lot of vans from unbeatable being sold at the same time

Although me359 bought his van in March 2019 the firm Unbeatable hire only entered administration on 24th December 2019, so the time period may not be as long as first thought. The whole scenario is very difficult to understand. There appear to be upwards of 5 interlinked companies potentially with crossover of assets which may have been Motorhomes owned by private individuals and operated by the company(s). I could imagine it might take the administrators until now to begin to unravel the mess.

Having said this I am sympathetic to me359 and his unfortunate situation.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back