Motor home rip off

Just a comment on the VAT thing ... I've seen this said for years and years. But is it actually correct?
Yes, you pay VAT so of that £60k, only £48k stays with the Dealer. But does it mean the van is only worth that the day after you buy it? not really.
If you decide to resell it TO A DEALER, then yes, it is only worth less than £48k to them as they could get brand new for less, but if selling privately, the private buyer would have to pay close to £60k for a pre-reg van and if you offered yours at a couple of thousand less (rather than 20% less), it would sell.

Ok got a contact number for the said lady. She has QC looking into it with a view to doing a class action. There are hundreds of innocent buyers involved. On Monday there is a interview on radio 4 between 12.18 -1pm. They will be asking everyone affected to email. I will pm you the telephone number.
Thank you have spoken to Erica lovely lady hopefully we can sort this out.again many thanks

I may have missed something in this post but have you done a hpi check to check if finance is outstanding .
Also if there is more than one person that has purchased one of this companies vans .
There is criminal case to answer for .fraud .? Police should involved .?
Yes done hip on vehicle and there is over 120 vans sold

Hi everyone thank you for all the advice and help things are looking brighter but still long long way to go.
What is needed now is to hear from as many people as possible who bought motor homes from Unbeatable hire.

Just a comment on the VAT thing ... I've seen this said for years and years. But is it actually correct?
Yes, you pay VAT so of that £60k, only £48k stays with the Dealer. But does it mean the van is only worth that the day after you buy it? not really.
If you decide to resell it TO A DEALER, then yes, it is only worth less than £48k to them as they could get brand new for less, but if selling privately, the private buyer would have to pay close to £60k for a pre-reg van and if you offered yours at a couple of thousand less (rather than 20% less), it would sell.
VAT in £60k is 20% of £50k.
If you try selling your brand new van to a dealer they won't give you more than £45k for it as they can buy new for that as the £60k included profit.
If you did sell they would of course add profit to take it back to just under £60k that makes it cheaper for customer than new.
A private sale should realise more of course but unless all the warranties are included (and even then) the chances are you'll take a substantial hit.
So if you buy new plan on keeping it a good while!

VAT in £60k is 20% of £50k.
If you try selling your brand new van to a dealer they won't give you more than £45k for it as they can buy new for that as the £60k included profit.
If you did sell they would of course add profit to take it back to just under £60k that makes it cheaper for customer than new.
A private sale should realise more of course but unless all the warranties are included (and even then) the chances are you'll take a substantial hit.
So if you buy new plan on keeping it a good while!
indeed so - dealer won't want. private buyer very different.

Has anyone been SCAMMED buying a motorhome or vehicle through Unbeatable Hire
( Company#04306649) contact me ASAP

Thank you have spoken to Erica lovely lady hopefully we can sort this out.again many thanks
Your welcome luckily Ron is on FB not me and we put the two stories together. Also he wasn’t impressed by the Chausoon FB group making Erica go to messenger to continue trying to help others, unlike this site that often comes up trumps in dire situations helping people with many assorted problems. Good luck please tell us the outcome as well.

It would probably more helpful if you explained briefly what the scam is.
Some of our members may hve been scammed the same way but with others companies not just Unbeatable Hire

See topic - "Motor home rip off" in General Motorhome Questions

It would probably more helpful if you explained briefly what the scam is.
Some of our members may hve been scammed the same way but with others companies not just Unbeatable Hire
Briefly, bought a motor home in March 2019 September this year received solicitors letter saying there was a charge agains the vehicle company in liquidation. Lenders want van back but it is all a scam over 120 vans sold of on ebay

When I brought my MH brand new I did question this. It was explained that you don't actually lose much on a brand new vehicle after the deal has been done, its the VAT you will lose and it cannot be recovered. Therefore you stand to lose a substantial amount after the 14 day cooling off period. There are winners and losers, so if you keep your brand new MH for five years, you could lose less than you think, but still more if you sell to a dealership even in part exchange. If you buy secondhand, there are risks but these are low and most buyers have little or no problems at all.

When I brought my MH brand new I did question this. It was explained that you don't actually lose much on a brand new vehicle after the deal has been done, its the VAT you will lose and it cannot be recovered. Therefore you stand to lose a substantial amount after the 14 day cooling off period. There are winners and losers, so if you keep your brand new MH for five years, you could lose less than you think, but still more if you sell to a dealership even in part exchange. If you buy secondhand, there are risks but these are low and most buyers have little or no problems at all.
Don’t follow, you have to pay the vat out, you don’t get it back as an individual so it is part of the price. You cannot separate it out it’s just salesman bull. You lose a lot in the first year same as most things you buy, who wants to pay a couple grand less on a 12 month item when they can get new at similar price. That’s why it drops a lot

Motorhome prices are very strange to predict, and very different to car prices in behaviour. I just looked and found similar vans to mine selling for very close to what I paid new (including vat) 8 years ago.

Reactions: Rec
And last year (?) we had a few months of very high VED on new vans which carried on for them despite it being dropped this year.
They're vans that might be difficult to sell compared to new.

Bought my motor home in March 2019 though eBay have now received letter from lawyers saying there was a charge on vehicle.The company I bought of have gone burst and the guy has done a runner with the money has anyone else had this experience
There is a good possibility that the debt was maybe sold to a debt recovery company, I would guess this although it is a financial issue ( Bank overdraft, re-financing, non-legal charge, is not a HP problem ( different laws) unless a HPI check reveals outstanding finance. This could be the age old frightening tactics. Lets try to claw back as much as we can tactics, Do you recall the parking enforcement scam, It would cost them to take you to court, If you fought them, they backed down..
I would do a HPI search, then if no revealing information comes to light invite proof of by the letter writer. If found to be true Red Dwarf has by far the best plan
Good luck

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back