Motor home rip off

Have a look at the possibility, in the short term at least, of traveling over to the Republic of Ireland which is party to the common travel area between the south and the UK. You will need a green card and similar rules to residence and vehicle registration as with any third party country, but with a bit of luck and research you might be able to find a spot in N. Ireland to keep the van and MOT it if required (GB comparable). Easy to move south for long periods if necessary. You would also have access to France for holiday by Dublin/Cherbourg or Spain by Cork/Santander.

Davy

I guess that the end if the transition period may well make a difference to the reach of UK civil courts - European Enforcement Order dies?
Going to let the law take its coarse but mh is where no one can find it, different story when tax is due and insurance but I will cross that bridge when it comes. To the others out there don’t give in and hand back your vans it will take a long time before any court will be able to do anything, they are at least two years back log so don’t panick

Have a look at the possibility, in the short term at least, of traveling over to the Republic of Ireland which is party to the common travel area between the south and the UK. You will need a green card and similar rules to residence and vehicle registration as with any third party country, but with a bit of luck and research you might be able to find a spot in N. Ireland to keep the van and MOT it if required (GB comparable). Easy to move south for long periods if necessary. You would also have access to France for holiday by Dublin/Cherbourg or Spain by Cork/Santander.

Davy
Thanks I had that in mind got friends over there so we’ll worth considering

No real help to the OP but it raises several question ?
We all (?) know the DVLA registration refers to keeper only and specifically states not owner.
In most cases this works well and in the case of "Company cars" allows the police and councils to exact fines from the "driver". and impose penalty points etc.
Devils advocate prompts me to ask
1 Could I register (our Vehicle ) in my wife's name
I do not recall seeing anywhere that the keeper has to have a driving licence ?
She does not have a driving licence so any penalty points would not go agaist me !
What would the dVLA do as she does not have a licence so not registered at the same address as the vehicle
What about insurance my wife insures it with me as the ONLY driver (what do company cars do when the company insures the car rather than the keeper ?)
2 Should the V5C include "owner information" ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Whilst I have total empathy with the OP he needs to be careful that he (at the end of all the shenanigans) does not leve himself open to the charge of THEFT ! or illegally exporting the vehicle or not having valid insurance
We know tht when we gt a UK MOT it is recorded at DVLA
What about NI MOT's
If the vehicle is kept in NI insurers should be told as it affects the risk/premium
Unless of course it is said to be in Storage BUT
Those of us who keep vehicles in (secure) storage have to inform our insurers.
Indeed even "hiding" the vehicle locally is likely to contravene insurance requirements
The OP is in a hole (not of his own making) I just suggest he takes care not to "Dig Deeper"
@trevskoda implies that theft is a real problem in NI as transportation to ROI is unchecked
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bailiff's be they burly or not have the (legal) authority to repossess
Interfereing/obstruting may bring about additional costs to the OP and maybe worse.
Challenging the repossession order may have benefits and is 100% legal

Last edited:
devil's advocate again !
what if the vehicle was stolen and not recovered..The OP would get the insurance value
Similarly if the vehicle was written off.
i guess the chasers would try to the cash but if the retrieval documents only say they want repossession ????
No future in these..just thinking

Lot to consider there guys, spoke to insurance they said if van taken back I would not be payed out said report it to the police. Had message informing me they were looking into it that was six weeks ago and nothing. Still lot of people coming forward with same prob and with same company.

Investors take a risk
Stocks and shares have variable risk and by and large investing in some "Investment trust" is relatively safe but if the market slumps so will they.
But you will probably not lose all ! and if you can wait likely to recover !
Investment in property groups offering 10% is (IMHO) very risky as you could lose all
Investment in motorhome rental is similart to property but more risk
With property land house values will likely preserve a good chunk of any failed investment
With motorhomes valus drop drop and drop drop.
Clearly such companies need investors but the grred factor has come into play !
I have more sympathy with the buyers than the investors..
The investors invested in a risky enterprise
The buyers simply got stung
Unfortunately for the buyers, the investors probably have better lawyers

There are no ballifs in N Ireland, but all veh taxed here go through Swansea, Irish republic is safe, if stuck strip it down and sell it for parts, do think it will takes years to get to courts so have fun because it will be worth much less by then and chasing it may be more costly for investors.

No real help to the OP but it raises several question ?
We all (?) know the DVLA registration refers to keeper only and specifically states not owner.
In most cases this works well and in the case of "Company cars" allows the police and councils to exact fines from the "driver". and impose penalty points etc.
Devils advocate prompts me to ask
1 Could I register (our Vehicle ) in my wife's name
I do not recall seeing anywhere that the keeper has to have a driving licence ?
She does not have a driving licence so any penalty points would not go agaist me !
What would the dVLA do as she does not have a licence so not registered at the same address as the vehicle
What about insurance my wife insures it with me as the ONLY driver (what do company cars do when the company insures the car rather than the keeper ?)
I can tell you a couple of things in case someone reads this and thinks ...." Sounds like an idea"

Yes, the keeper is the first port of call to chase indiscretions such as speeding
If the keeper does not state who was driving, then they have to take the hit.
If the keeper takes the hit and does not have a driving license, then they take the penalty, get the fine and also get done for driving without a driving license (a potential imprisonable offence I think?)
The chances in that situation is that because it would appear rather suspicious and a scheme to avoid the real driver accumulating points, further investigations would happen beyond the issuing of a fixed penalty and the two people involved (the license-less keeper and the partner) will likely get done for perverting the course of Justice - which IS an imprisonable offence and incarcation usually results. (as well as the penalty points getting reassigned to the real driver).
This is the most recent high-profile case:

And this one really (and deservedly for being so stupid) screwed his career up.

PS. Anyone can insure a vehicle. Doesn't need to be the Keeper. I am the keeper of my car but I don't insure it. It is insured by the OH.

Last edited:
There's a lot of history in this thread which bears reading if you're a newcomer to it.

I can tell you a couple of things in case someone reads this and thinks ...." Sounds like an idea"

Yes, the keeper is the first port of call to chase indiscretions such as speeding
If the keeper does not state who was driving, then they have to take the hit.
If the keeper takes the hit and does not have a driving license, then they take the penalty, get the fine and also get done for driving without a driving license (a potential imprisonable offence I think?)
The chances in that situation is that because it would appear rather suspicious and a scheme to avoid the real driver accumulating points, further investigations would happen beyond the issuing of a fixed penalty and the two people involved (the license-less keeper and the partner) will likely get done for perverting the course of Justice - which IS an imprisonable offence and incarcation usually results. (as well as the penalty points getting reassigned to the real driver).
This is the most recent high-profile case:

And this one really (and deservedly for being so stupid) screwed his career up.

PS. Anyone can insure a vehicle. Doesn't need to be the Keeper. I am the keeper of my car but I don't insure it. It is insured by the OH.
Not serious suggestions just a few thoughts/musings !
I am a diligent law abiding citizen

Lot to consider there guys, spoke to insurance they said if van taken back I would not be payed out said report it to the police. Had message informing me they were looking into it that was six weeks ago and nothing. Still lot of people coming forward with same prob and with same company.
Not surprising really - can't see that being an event covered by standard insurance.

Unfortunately for the

And they may also have a stronger case.

If the vans had been on Hire Purchase the new buyers would have been protected under 'good faith's rules.
This was quite a sophisticated scam as the seller did legally the vehicles which the usual checks would have confirmed.
But those checks wouldn't show up the openly registered charge particularly as it was made against VIN number (which is sensible as that can't change)

Not serious suggestions just a few thoughts/musings !
I am a diligent law abiding citizen
I have no doubt. but others stumble across things on the internet - and as we know, the internet is the truth.

Here's a suggestion, Me359. Get yourself a personalised registration number and transfer it to your van. Write back to the solicitors chasing you and say you no longer are the owner of AB99 CDE (the current rego no). This is not a total solution but might confuse bailiffs etc if they come looking for a van with the old reg no. Obviously the VIN is the weak point in my scheme and a DVLA search will reveal the truth, but might be worth the couple of hundred pounds to get a personal plate and spread some confusion.

Ah but as Albert Einstein once said "Don't believe everything you read on line"

K ;)

GASP! Me359 you have my total sympathy, like another poster I heard the radio 4 piece, I can't even begin to guess how this must feel (beyond dreadful). I plan on buying my first MoHo in the summer, this will use up a big chunk of my retirement pension, reading this has left me worried!!!! I sincerely hope you get a positive outcome.

At least you now know the things you should check and the probing questions you should ask of the vendor or owner (not necessarily the same thing)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back