Motorhome or Caravan?

Very few, and only the heavier caravans are truly 'Self Contained' as you usually need to deploy the grey water water tank and take the fresh water container to the tap and fill it up when you arrive! Then it's wind down the jacks etc etc.
With a Motorcaravan you just pull up and out the kettle on (or open the fridge;)) and you're fixed
Also in the Motorhome you can just pull into a layby and walk through to the back and go to sleep when knackered
For me Caravans are for going and staying for a while and the Motorcaravan is for touring as the fancy takes you

Some interesting replies here.
Obviously this is a motorhome orientated forum so there will be a natural bias towards that, but I am surprised by this apparent assumption that caravanning is a "keeping up with the jones's" past time, never to be seen in last years model, can't do this, have to do that.
I guess some people have that mindset be in Caravanning, Cars, or even Motorhomes dare I say. And that is fine for them - and just means possible bargains for others :)

Clearly the abilty to be self-contained and quickly parking up for the night is a major and overwhelming plus for the motorhome - and if that is the need, then the question of which is moot - and is why I didn't post this question on wildcamping.co.uk.
But the question was actually "What does it (the motorhome) offer above and beyond a Caravan when using Campsites such as the typical CCC site?"

One of the biggest 'issues' of a Caravan over a Motorhome that I can see would be the potential need to either get another car capable of towing a decent sized van, of change your existing car to do this.
The car I have suits us perfectly. Sold the second car as it just was not being used, so getting a car solely to tow a van would be an extra expense (the existing car is not a caravan tugger by any means). But while an extra expense, is it show-stopper? well, a Motorhome is an extra vehicle as well of course in just the same way, with the same need to tax, service, MOT, etc.

It is interesting that setup times are mentioned a fair bit. I guess this is down to having to put down the levellers, sort out water, EHU and this kind of thing? It is funny that all sorts of improvements are made to motorhomes to improve them, both by the owners and the manufacturers, but these are never extended to Caravans?
I am not investigated the area, but I would be very surprised if remote controlled auto self-levellers could not be fitted to a caravan, especially given their much lighter weight.
With the use of LiFePO4 Batteries and flexible solar panels to counter the limited payload, EHU becomes much less of a need I would expect as well?
Fresh Water and Waste Water are maybe the biggest hassle?

Overall, I would prefer the Motorhome for maximum flexibility, but the type of motorhome I would LIKE is blooming expensive! And I see Caravans offering the same living facilities at a fraction of the price. Hence the question.

Part of the current problem is the need to be more 'self contained' than previously, which with the weight constraints associated more with caravans is a problem.
European caravans are more generally kept down in weight due to the towing vehicles, car licence restrictions and the traditional overrun breaking systems.
Caravans in Australia for instance, where electrically operated breaking is the norm quite usually tow the max weight that the vehicle can pull rather than the weight it can stop. It is not unusual for a 1700Kg 'Ute' to be towing a 3000Kg caravan which carries 200 lit of water and have grey water tanks and a generator as well as bikes and fishing tackle and of course a Barbie strapped on the back.
That said we use a Motorcaravan because we like to be able, particularly as you can in Europe, to park on an Aire in the town centre and not on a camp site 5 miles out

It is the "more self-contained" part which is a problem with many Campervans (not Motorhomes)
For example the typical VW Campervan has no shower facility and at the most a portapotti - and Campsite facilities would be utilized when needed. But in the "new world" post Covid, few people want to be sharing washroom & toilet facilities and a fully-specified vehicle is what is needed.
I don't think there is too much concern over filling water and emptying waste, but personal 'sanitation' is another matter entirely.

Last edited:
Four seasons usability , caravans are not a good idea to tow on snow covered roads :) Being able to pull up in a lot more places .

It is the "more self-contained" part which is a problem with many Campervans (not Motorhomes)
For example the typical VW Campervan has no shower facility and at the most a portapotti - and Campsite facilities would be utilized when needed. But in the "new world" post Covid, few people want to be sharing washroom & toilet facilities and a fully-specified vehicle is what is needed.
I don't think there is too much concern over filling water and emptying waste, but personal 'sanitation' is another matter entirely.
VW sized Motorcaravans are on the decline these days. Most are based on Ducato, Transit, Sprinter sized vans which have enough room.
Our Ducato self build has everything that is needed to be completely self contained.
2 single beds, heating, hot water, cassette toilet in shower room, oven, hob, microwave,TV, fresh and grey water tanks as well as an LPG tank.

Personally I think from a purely financial position a MH is an expensive option ( unless its your everyday driver) extra tax insurance maintenance, depreciation,other drawbacks are no transport when u get to your destination unless u want to take a big van into a little town or village,don't think the caravan depreciation argument holds up we just had a vuy on our site bought caravan 3 yes ago off a dealer 17000 just sold it to a neighbour for 16500 after using it frequently.Having g said all that We could all live in a tiny flat but if we choose to and can afford to we don't, I know a MH is more expensive and I have to have alternative transport from a site but I prefer a MH. and am prepared and able to pay for that.I have had caravans and would not consider going back to them now .EquallyWe have caravanners that can not see the point in a MH.It's all about what you want and can afford

RV2MAX.I have pulled a lot more MH s off our site than caravans most MH owners are very aware that a bit of rain on a grass field is not compatible with their van,I would think the number of MH v caravans I've pulled off must be 10 to 1 over the 14 years we've been here.So much so that I am considering fitting a winch to my van just incase

RV2MAX.I have pulled a lot more MH s off our site than caravans most MH owners are very aware that a bit of rain on a grass field is not compatible with their van,I would think the number of MH v caravans I've pulled off must be 10 to 1 over the 14 years we've been here.So much so that I am considering fitting a winch to my van just incase
I agree when I had a caravan towed with Land Rover , often got requests for tractive assistance . Mind you havent had to get a tow with my MoHo :)

as wildebus says a caravan can be modded the aforementioned neighbour has the self levelling system on his van as well as the motorised mover £4k in extras has been quoted only ! £850 to transfer this to the new caravan by the same dealer who originally fitted it but the dealer claims left on they would only add £500 to the trade in value , being a cynic bet it adds more than that on the forecourt,

VW sized Motorcaravans are on the decline these days. Most are based on Ducato, Transit, Sprinter sized vans which have enough room.
Our Ducato self build has everything that is needed to be completely self contained.
2 single beds, heating, hot water, cassette toilet in shower room, oven, hob, microwave,TV, fresh and grey water tanks as well as an LPG tank.
Very definately disagree, at least in actual VW conversions.
From my own experience speaking to to people doing conversions, the VW sized - or more specifically actual VW based - conversions significantly outnumber other bases.

Ok, this forum is called "Motorhomer.com" so there is an assumption that Motorhomes are the preferred option, but ...

If the idea is to enjoy self-contained holidaying, what is the advantage of a Motorhome over a Caravan (again, note this is posted on Motorhomer, and NOT on Wildcamping)?
A motorhome offering the same level of accomodation of a caravan seems to cost around £25k more at an absolute minimum. What does it (the motorhome) offer above and beyond a Caravan when using Campsites such as the typical CCC site?
As regards travelling between sites, it's my understanding that these days a standard driving test pass does not permit the towing of a caravan, so an additional test is required, whereas the standard test does enable one to drive a vehicle such as a motorhome up to 3t500.
And as for the "typical CCC site", fine in the UK, but if touring in Europe the range of overnighting locations is considerably increased with a motorhome, given the extensive network of aires.

As regards travelling between sites, it's my understanding that these days a standard driving test pass does not permit the towing of a caravan, so an additional test is required, whereas the standard test does enable one to drive a vehicle such as a motorhome up to 3t500.
And as for the "typical CCC site", fine in the UK, but if touring in Europe the range of overnighting locations is considerably increased with a motorhome, given the extensive network of aires.
A good point with the driving license, and one which will impact more and more people as time goes on (and could likely start to affect the resale value of caravans as the potential user base reduces year on year)
I am pretty sure a towing endorsement is not needed as long as the total train weight (vehicle + trailer) does not exceed 3.5t AND the trailer is under 750kg (that is to do with the need to have brakes on a trailer over that weight and a endorsement needed for a braked trailer).
There must be very few (if any?) normal caravans under 750kg, but I would think there will be a fair number of Folding Caravans and Trailer Tents that would fit the weight bill for a Driver with just a basic B Car License who fancies taking their accomodation behind them - but for those folk, a Motor Caravan of some type probably makes more sense for an easier life.

In my own case I am decrepit enough to have both a C1+E and a B+E Endorsement on my license automatically so am covered for any of these options :)

It still confuses me as well
If IH did caravans they would start from £55k ;)
We had Caravans and loved them, they were all we could afford and served their purpose well, but now being able to afford a Campervan (IH) we would never go back to being a tugger.
K ;)

I remember our old friend charley saying that whether you purchase a budget van for £45k or a top of the range Hymer for £120k they have the same fridge cooker boiler awning chassis engine gearbox tyres wheels etc so we pay a lot for cupboards & furnishings , I saw today a motorhome on a mercy base for £850,000 that's an awful lot of furniture lol

a £25k sprinter fitted out as a caravan costs £80k ( IH) but a caravan costs £20k still not got my head round that lol
Not really a like for like comparison. The motorhome will be much more substantially built, probably with higher quality fittings.
There is a difference, though. The motorhome does cost more new.
Then look at them when they're three or four years old. The difference is huge: the caravan has almost no value.
The total cost of ownership is not a lot different.

I remember our old friend charley saying that whether you purchase a budget van for £45k or a top of the range Hymer for £120k they have the same fridge cooker boiler awning chassis engine gearbox tyres wheels etc so we pay a lot for cupboards & furnishings , I saw today a motorhome on a mercy base for £850,000 that's an awful lot of furniture lol
Your old friend was wrong. I was taken aback to see the differences in quality and spec between different models of Hymer motorhomes, let alone between Hymer and cheaper brands.
The only thing that will be the same spec is the awning.

One or two incorrect statements in this thread, imo which highlights perception rather than reality

SWIFT and Bailey models of caravan nowadays offer on board water tanks . If stopping a while at a site location pain in the neck to re fail unless you top with a watering can .

The main benefit I have found with my caravan over the motorhome I had. Is that with the Moho despite a coach built body ultimately the cab area is still per standard van bar fancy upholstery,,,it is the Achilles heel late autumn to late spring the insulation is poor,

I would generally agree horses for courses, touring about m oho longer stops on cl cs a caravan. A caravan also gives a more practical option for pitching on a seasonal site giving in an effect second home.

Your old friend was wrong. I was taken aback to see the differences in quality and spec between different models of Hymer motorhomes, let alone between Hymer and cheaper brands.
The only thing that will be the same spec is the awning.
Wrong. Same base vehicle, same fridge, same heater, and unfortunately same build quality.
Our old friend was correct. Maybe, that’s why Hymer agreed to take the vehicle back

Wrong. Same base vehicle, same fridge, same heater, and unfortunately same build quality.
Our old friend was correct. Maybe, that’s why Hymer agreed to take the vehicle back
Obviously you live in a parallel universe to the one I'm in. Probably a good thing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back