Motorhome or Caravan?

The majority of motorhome owners Would be better off with a car and caravan for many reason. The majority will use their vehicle for two or three weeks holiday each year and odd weekends away and they will go to sites with amenities.
If the want to leave their holiday camp style sites they jump in their car and drive off to wherever they want without having to pack anything up.
Yes they will have to spend a little time setting up and taking down but as they aren’t moving every day it’s no hardship.
I expect a good number of folk who post on this site are not average motorhomes so you won’t really get a good answer.
I have had tents, trailer tents and caravans as well as my motorhom. These days I usually travel alone with the dogs and a motorhome suits what I do more than a caravan.
Almost anything you can fit on a motorhome fits on a caravan and you certainly can wild camp in a caravan.
Thinking back to when I used a caravan for holidays with the family I think I would have needed a bur or lorry converting to have the same space

The majority of motorhome owners Would be better off with a car and caravan for many reason. The majority will use their vehicle for two or three weeks holiday each year and odd weekends away and they will go to sites with amenities.
Absolutely. And even more so the ones who tow a car behind their motorhome. How daft is that?

If the want to leave their holiday camp style sites they jump in their car and drive off to wherever they want without having to pack anything up.
Yes they will have to spend a little time setting up and taking down but as they aren’t moving every day it’s no hardship.
I expect a good number of folk who post on this site are not average motorhomes so you won’t really get a good answer.
I have had tents, trailer tents and caravans as well as my motorhom. These days I usually travel alone with the dogs and a motorhome suits what I do more than a caravan.
Almost anything you can fit on a motorhome fits on a caravan and you certainly can wild camp in a caravan.
Thinking back to when I used a caravan for holidays with the family I think I would have needed a bur or lorry converting to have the same space
I have been looking on eBay at Motorhomes and I saw a very nice Mercedes based Autosleeper. Registered in 2014 and has under 12,000 miles on the clock. At a guess I would say that owner would have been better off with a nice Caravan and a towcar?

I bought a second-hand motorhome some time ago. It was N registered and three years old at the time.
In three years, it had done 5,200 miles, including driving to the dealer's for sale.
However, it had a slot in the floor to take a wheelchair. That means that the buyer would have been able to buy it zero-rated for vat because it was a vehicle that was adapted for use by a disabled person.
Maybe it was worth it for that person, and the VAT saving meant they didn't lose all that much money.
That's the only motorhome I've had that only had one previous owner.

Deleted

Last edited:
Absolutely. And even more so the ones who tow a car behind their motorhome. How daft is that?
I know of at least two respected members, who would take you to task over that statement.
But then, you are entitled to an opinion.

I know of at least two respected members, who would take you to task over that statement.
But then, you are entitled to an opinion.
I am too daft to answer Del 🤪
He is entitled to his opinion but thank goodness we don't have to like it, it reminds me of a previous member with that attitude, remember hairydog:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Reactions: Rec
He is entitled to his opinion but thank goodness we don't have to like it, it reminds me of a previous member with that attitude, remember hairydog:unsure::unsure::unsure:
😂😂😂

A rose by any other name. Reckon you might have a point there. Surprised he’s got the nerve to return. Then again, no sense, no feeling.
Just as long as he doesn’t cause to much ill will on here. I remember he said he refused to share things with me, sorry, the exact words were, “ People like me” I hope he keeps to that .

A motorhome is a better bet for touring around, visiting places. A caravan is better for staying in one spot for several days. That's the essential difference (if you use sites).

Yes, if we are going on a short trip we just take the Campervan. If we are going for longer then we tow a caravan behind the Campervan. The caravan is more roomy than the van for the extended stay.

Yes we have Vango awnings for both the Campervan and Caravan.

Get some strange looks when we turn up on site! 'What's that, separate bedrooms!' is one of the more polite comments.

when we had a caravan....couldnt understand why anyone would want a campervan/motorhome...........used to see them on campsites......ohh all that packing away things before you could move/drive........need milk/bread etc,,,,,... we just hopped into car and off we went...be it caravan or tent.

well since getting SMALL camper completely changed my mind...........its absolutely no problem to just move off.........simple to get parked anywhere.....where as with caravan or tent and trailer........parking in car park in a town or most places was a no no.......with a campervan or motorhome thats not a problem......stop almost anywhere......with no problem

i enjoy tenting.....caravaning....and having campervan..........they all have different experiences........prefer campervan/motorhome to caravan...oh yes\\\

25k motorhome is way way out of my budget............me little camper serves me well..........however those large motorhomes are a luxury...so much more space

We started out tenting, moved on to trailer tents, then caravans, back to a tent and are now on our second motorhome but again thinking about caravans. We love the freedom we have to stop almost anywhere, especially on the continent, and move on just when we feel like it. However we find ourselves returning to the same, favourite sites and we could visit them just as easily with a caravan and we would have the car for visits from the sites. We cannot keep our van at home, so paying storage, tax, insurance, mot fees, servicing and upkeep means that up to £1500 goes before we even drive off. We do have room for an Eriba and it is towable with our current car hence once again thinking of caravans.

I'm surprised that it took until post #23 for a mention of aires in France. Add to these Steplatz, sostas etc and this provides a big MH advantage I think.

For us a big reason is that it has a toilet on board which can be used almost instantly (and occasionally even when 'on the hoof') so we would never have a caravan for that reason above all others. Also advantages for us are being able to pull into a lay-by and put the kettle on; or into a site in the rain and not having to do anything until the rain stops.

I'm surprised that it took until post #23 for a mention of aires in France. Add to these Steplatz, sostas etc and this provides a big MH advantage I think.

For us a big reason is that it has a toilet on board which can be used almost instantly (and occasionally even when 'on the hoof') so we would never have a caravan for that reason above all others. Also advantages for us are being able to pull into a lay-by and put the kettle on; or into a site in the rain and not having to do anything until the rain stops.
I used to pull into a lay by and put the kettle on/have a meal in my caravan. All my caravans had toilet and shower as well. Amenities and space wise I think caravans offer more than motorhomes.
Its the easy setting off/pulling up without having to get out if you don’t want does it for me. Can’t beat it in heavy snow 👍

I think if I had a car that was capable of towing the kind of caravan I would probably look at, I would get the caravan as you do get a lot more bang for the buck.
clearly there are some factors that a Motorhome is better at and I am not surprised those have be pointed out explicitly on a Motorhome forum :) If I posted this question on the "lovecaravans" forum (I am sure there is one ;)), then another slant would have been shown I bet :)

We started out tenting, moved on to trailer tents, then caravans, back to a tent and are now on our second motorhome but again thinking about caravans. We love the freedom we have to stop almost anywhere, especially on the continent, and move on just when we feel like it. However we find ourselves returning to the same, favourite sites and we could visit them just as easily with a caravan and we would have the car for visits from the sites. We cannot keep our van at home, so paying storage, tax, insurance, mot fees, servicing and upkeep means that up to £1500 goes before we even drive off. We do have room for an Eriba and it is towable with our current car hence once again thinking of caravans.
The Eribas are beautiful caravans and was very close to buying either a Troll or a Triton around 15 years ago to pull behind my Honda HR-V.

One reason I think people migrate from caravans to motorhomes perhaps better financially placed too, but some don’t enjoy driving even less the extra effort of towing. I certainly don’t enjoy driving like I did,particularly on roads I know

I think if I had a car that was capable of towing the kind of caravan I would probably look at, I would get the caravan as you do get a lot more bang for the buck.
clearly there are some factors that a Motorhome is better at and I am not surprised those have be pointed out explicitly on a Motorhome forum :) If I posted this question on the "lovecaravans" forum (I am sure there is one ;)), then another slant would have been shown I bet :)
The impression I get is that you mostly go to shows and events, staying there, then going home again. For that, a caravan is a perfectly good alternative. If you mostly tour around, stopping no more than a day or two at each place, it'd be different.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back