My first car way back in 1965, what was yours?

Then we have nicest car
either Alpha-Sud but probably MG-B roadster (soft top).
Best car Old Jaguar XJ6

In 1968 I took delivery of a brand new Morris Cooper 1275S, it was brilliant until July 1969 when on a rally in Devon it suddeny became 3' 6" shorter when it came in direct contact with a very solid bank of trackside rock & earth!
Huh Teenage drivers !
I managed to spin mine 180 on a very wet road...but no damage (except to my pride) and no collision

105e Anglia same colour as Harry Potter, sold for £100 and bought a Mk3 Cortina GT for £60 😱

Reactions: 2cv
My first was a Standard Ensign. Mmm, less said about that the better. Not sure if I’ve ever had a favourite car. Possibly the Volvo Amazon, Renault 4, great gearstick for bringing home a Chinese takeaway, more rust than car. Again there was the Cortina 2000e estate 😬. I’ve had good cars, I’ve had crap cars. Mostly I’ve had cars.....
A favourite? It would have to be Demi.

Reactions: 2cv
...great gearstick for bringing home a Chinese takeaway, more rust than car.....
I remember at the local college one of the guys had a Fiat 127, and each term, the thick underseal got higher and higher as it was reapplied to keep the rust in place :)

My first would be what was my mothers 1969 Viva HB Estate which she gave me after passing my test. (certainly didn't look as good as the one in the picture below though!)
1578311056990.png
Had it a couple of years and used to keep in London when at college. One time it broke down and I had to just abandon it as needed to get a train to go for an interview at IBM so just put a notice on the dash "broken down" and when I got back it was still there, no ticket or anything - and this was in W1 where I lived. Bet that wouldn't happen now! Another time it stopped going as I was driving back to the halls and this was around Regent Street, where all the Foreign Embassies are. Left it in a diplomatic parking space outside some Embassy (can't recall which) for around 3 days without a problem (nowadays would be blown up as a car bomb threat!)

My favourite car was probably my Toyota Celica GT4 Turbo (actual car below)

Toyota Celica GT4 Turbo
by David, on Flickr
Brilliant car. Shortly after getting it, I got stopped for speeding in a little trap in Northamption (that dual carriageway that meets up with the M1 and services by Daventry I think? common place for speeders).
Policeman was very nice about it and said it was my lucky day as he will put down I was only doing 99MPH so could have a fixed penalty.

In 1968 I took delivery of a brand new Morris Cooper 1275S, it was brilliant until July 1969 when on a rally in Devon it suddeny became 3' 6" shorter when it came in direct contact with a very solid bank of trackside rock & earth!
Which rally? Lived in Taunton then and campaigned a 1275 S. Oddly my hearing now sounds just like the straight cut gearbox under load...... Remember the Porlock Toll Road stage where I had a moment and a couple of spectator/ photographers disappeared backwards down a bank! Fun days.

A bottle green Morris 1100 complete with rust and saggy hydro suspension to get me back and to to Leeds. Ditched the 1100 fairly quickly and bought a battered beetle which I hand painted with coach enamel, those were the days 😂 What I really wanted was one of these .....................9C406EAC-5B54-4C49-845A-6E6FC385A379.jpeg

Ford pop E 93 side valve very reliable , rod brakes , parked it on the roof on a roundabout . £25 waisted . a friend had a triumph mayflower , he loved it that much he has just bought another one .

Which rally? Lived in Taunton then and campaigned a 1275 S. Oddly my hearing now sounds just like the straight cut gearbox under load...... Remember the Porlock Toll Road stage where I had a moment and a couple of spectator/ photographers disappeared backwards down a bank! Fun days.

Sorry I haven't got the foggiest idea as it was so long ago, I seem to recall it was organised by a local motor club who had unfortunately used double sided warning signs on the approaches to any hazardous bend and the 90 + right I was approaching was signed as a left hander little knowing the bloody arrow had got twizzled round and it was a right hander!
Bang, oh ouch but thank heavens I was wearing a full harness as I escaped with only a broken finger and a very deep cut, however my nav. was a great deal worse and spent several days in Plymouth A&E whilst they stitched his face back together as it was in a very sorry state.

1961 Hillman Super Minx MK IV with the registration 5500 TF

That car made me a fortune when i sold the registration through a company to a guy in Stafford who put it on a Citroen CX 2400 Safari.

1961 My first car was a 1936 Morris 8 like this
View attachment 52369
My 1st was a '38 Morris 8 with wire wheels. A neighbour gave it to me because the clutch had gone and it would have cost more than the car was worth to fix it. Well at nearly 16 it was a challenge, but I dunnit !!! Then a pals dad said that he had a twin carb Aquaplane head for side valve engine, so he came round and fitted it (2 x 1"1/2 SU's too). So for a nearly 17 year old it was a rocket, sadly pre stretched cable brakes are more ornamental than functional and showing off it got kinda bent, but the scrappy gave me 30/- for it. For my birthday I got driving lessons and bought an ancient aluminium rag top Reliant, followed by a Jowett Bradford and then an Isetta, Hillman Minx, MG 1100 and a whole procession of Beetles. Cars were cheap before the MoT came into force

Talking of first cars, I said the first car I owned was the Vauxhall Viva, but the first cars I drove around by myself on public roads were, from memory, a Hillman Avenger with no exhaust and a Renault 14 (think it was a 14?) with no reverse gear and just 1st and 3rd gears. With the R14, had to make sure either stopped where it was possible to carry on, or drive up a slope so could roll backwards to get back on the road.
Not that road worthy clearly, and certainly had no MOTs, but that was ok as I didn't have a driving licence either ;)

(However, totally legal as those roads in Northern Ireland were exempted :D )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back