Nature's Optical Tricks

trixie88;n7371 said:
sorry colin answer to photos stored.......NO......i really am going to have to get get into action and lean how to do it all...problem is i really dont have the patience with it.......
last year hippy gave me first class step by step >idiot instructions>.......i need to get myself another lead to transfer photos on to computer.....and then ample time of concentration and patience.......it really is very kind of you to offer instruction.....and hopefully i may be able to get something sorted..

as for your last pic....i saw either a large frog...or a fish with a pouting mouth.......plus two people sat on a precarious rock.....lol.. keep tham coming..

That's fine, Trixie. Please feel free to make contact if or when you would like some guidance.

Colin ???

teejay;n7369 said:
Saw this in the woods the other day. Well, I think it saw me first then I noticed it!

watch out. it watching you
spooky

Last edited:
Full Member;n7374 said:
That's fine, Trixie. Please feel free to make contact if or when you would like some guidance.

Colin ???

certainly will colin.........thank you......however, you may need the patience of a saint tho.....lol thanks again.

No Colin, just normal wide angle setting on my LG G5 smartfone camera. The tree was up on a bank alongside the path. The 'face' is roughly 8 feet above path level. Its an old pine plantation. Interestingly as an aside, the lump of wood is known as a 'burl' which is the trees way of repairing some quite serious damage done to it by someone/something earlier in its life. Its actually hundreds of thousands of small shoots/roots that the tree sends to the spot to repair itself-something similar to a slow motion scab! As wood goes it is quite valuable as when harvested and worked it produces some wonderful effects in the wood.

trixie88;n7377 said:
certainly will colin.........thank you......however, you may need the patience of a saint tho.....lol thanks again.

No problem, Trixie. I promise it would be fun and not at all stressful nor threatening. And once you've done one you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. So in your own time.

Colin ???

teejay;n7378 said:
No Colin, just normal wide angle setting on my LG G5 smartfone camera. The tree was up on a bank alongside the path. The 'face' is roughly 8 feet above path level. Its an old pine plantation. Interestingly as an aside, the lump of wood is known as a 'burl' which is the trees way of repairing some quite serious damage done to it by someone/something earlier in its life. Its actually hundreds of thousands of small shoots/roots that the tree sends to the spot to repair itself-something similar to a slow motion scab! As wood goes it is quite valuable as when harvested and worked it produces some wonderful effects in the wood.

Thanks for the background, teejay. Your LG G5 clearly has a nice camera setup.
I've seen the same repair work on trees before, though I don't recall a face(!).
I used to do a bit of wood turning and then the odd small carving, mainly to make toys for the offspring - which their offspring now enjoy.
I've seen wonderful carved and turned examples of these lumps of wonderment at craft fairs. I'm always in awe of the craftsmen who produce these objects for my delight and doubly grateful for their patience as I stand there stroking and caressing their work - sometimes for quite some time.
I never achieved what they achieve.

Colin ???

Last edited:
Me too. One of my boys is into making wooden and metal articles eg small knives, pendants etc. and would be at that tree with a saw if only I would tell him where it is-I won't though. Here's an example of one of his small products, the wood is spalted beech........ 1498585182408.jpg

If you can zoom in on the photo you may also see the 'damascus' steel blade-the whole thing is around 4" long.

Now if that was Fuerteventura, I'd have said it was supposed to be a goat ...

Cheers

H

teejay;n7392 said:
Me too. One of my boys is into making wooden and metal articles eg small knives, pendants etc. and would be at that tree with a saw if only I would tell him where it is-I won't though. Here's an example of one of his small products, the wood is spalted beech........

If you can zoom in on the photo you may also see the 'damascus' steel blade-the whole thing is around 4" long.

Lovely piece of artwork, teejay. Your lad is a skilled craftsman. Quite a combination of materials and techniques used to make that beautiful little thing.

Colin ???

Winks;n7407 said:
Now if that was Fuerteventura, I'd have said it was supposed to be a goat ...

Cheers

H

Are you thinking of the tree or knife or volcanic tube, Winks?

Colin ???

Yes indeed. Somebody bought it from him for quite a sum. I think the parts cost around £30 and the work to produce it another £80 but it went for more than that by a margin.

I could say he was well taught but I would be lying-he is a natural I think.

teejay;n7465 said:
Yes indeed. Somebody bought it from him for quite a sum. I think the parts cost around £30 and the work to produce it another £80 but it went for more than that by a margin.

I could say he was well taught but I would be lying-he is a natural I think.

I'm in awe. I really do wish that I could make something so well proportioned, beautiful and useful.

Colin ???

As far as the metal of the blade, it was made by forge welding together dozens of layers of steel, stainless steel springs I believe; heated in a coal forge and hammered and layer upon layer until they became one piece. Then shaped, heat treated, tempered, ground and etched to bring out the subtle colour differences. The blade continues to the top of the 'handle' which in this case are called 'scales' as there are 2 pieces fixed either side of the knife both by epoxy and pin. Yes, having seen it and handled it close up, it is a work of art and shaving sharp.

Full Member;n7463 said:
Are you thinking of the tree or knife or volcanic tube, Winks?

Colin ???

Tree of course. Tried to find that image from the 'green cave' but can't find it among last year's pics. Very effective until she lobs a stone in though.

Cheers

H

Winks;n7478 said:
Tree of course. Tried to find that image from the 'green cave' but can't find it among last year's pics. Very effective until she lobs a stone in though.

Cheers

H

Thanks for that, Winks. I'd like to see your 'green cave' photo if it surfaces.

Colin ???

This evening the sun didn't display it's crimson wonder but nature's optical trickery none-the-less turned a largely man made environment into (to me) a beautiful image.

WP_20171128_18_00_09_Pro.jpg

Colin ???

There are still very large parts of the world with very few humans but fantastic views, here's Greenland for example.

image.jpeg

2cv;n7655 said:
There are still very large parts of the world with very few humans but fantastic views, here's Greenland for example.

Wow! That's impressive, 2cv. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Colin ???

trixie88;n7062 said:
wye eye...i see a reindeer...........a bit like spotting an object in the clouds...........

last week we saw three baby deer on the side of the road, they scurried off back into the bushes as we got closer though.

Tes;n7981 said:
last week we saw three baby deer on the side of the road, they scurried off back into the bushes as we got closer though.

Unexpected moments like that are so special. Almost magical.

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back