NC500 motorhome numpties strike again

I encounter drivers almost every day it seems who are unable to reverse a vehicle, and some of the reversing desires belief on occasion zig zag zig zag forward out of the hedge zig zig back in the hedge.........

Perhaps I’m just getting to be a grumpy old git?

That is absolutely ridiculous. They shouldn’t be driving a vehicle that they can’t reverse. They should have been arrested for obstruction.
The emergency services have a tough enough job anyway let alone dealing with goons like that!
here here .pj

I encounter drivers almost every day it seems who are unable to reverse a vehicle, and some of the reversing desires belief on occasion zig zag zig zag forward out of the hedge zig zig back in the hedge.........

Perhaps I’m just getting to be a grumpy old git?
yes ? u said it,ok pj

The "verbal abuse" from the campers indicates to me they "wouldn't reverse" rather than "couldn't reverse".

That's another nail in the coffin for motorhomers then. When are these nobs going to see they spoil it for all with their behaviour. Bad enough being a nuisance to the locals, but argueing with ambulance crews? No excuse for that kind of behaviour at all....?

Living on one of the outer Isles in Orkney we are very regular ferry users. Generally, we just drive straight onto the ferry and straight off the ferry (typically on at the stern and off at the bow).

Occasionally we have to reverse off, the way we came. The look of panic on some peoples faces when this happens is a sight to behold! I've seen ferry crew have to perform the task for the owners before now!

We had to reverse onto the Gills Bay ferry a couple of years ago (it only had doors at the back). Then watched people letting the crew reverse theirs on for them. The crew were very nice but no way would I let somebody else carry out such a manouvre for me. They said it happens all the time.

Hmmm - maybe it's time for a much stricter driving test and compulsory re-testing on a regular basis?

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, I wonder about this incident, whether the criticism was justified and whether I'd have elected to quietly wait for the ambulance to finish their shout.
  • What size vehicles had already passed the ambulance?
    Most cars are significantly narrower than most motorhomes, so scores of cars passing does not show there was enough room for a motorhome.
  • Did the motorhomers start the abuse?
    FWIW, I've had an ambulance crew verbally abuse me for refusing to jump a red light so that they didn't have to go the wrong side of a keep left bollard. Also, I wonder whether the locals started the abuse and that this put the ambulance crew under pressure.
  • Was it reasonable to expect the motorhomes to reverse?
    For example, what if the nearest suitable passing place was half a mile or so away.
Looking at the report, I wonder whether the august organ has an anti-motorhome axe to grind?

Think you’ll see more and more incompetent drivers with motorhome as the changes to towing a caravan realy hit home you can’t tow a caravan now without passing a separate driving test if you’ve passed test before a certain date so more people are turning to motorhomes bit stupid that you’ve never drove anything bigger than a fiat 500 but you can jump into 3.5 tone van the size of a small cottage. The van in the photo looks like a chasson there’s a hire company based in Scotland with very large fleet of these vans so could be a hire van.

Exactly tested in a small car then driving a large motorhome I have frequently reversed back in my 6 berth motorhome for someone that can't reverse a car to a passing place 15ft behind them but I have to reverse back round a bend to a passing point I couldn't even see I always stop even for one Car to let it past safely manners cost nothing treat others as you would like to be treated

I was driving over the Bealach na Ba pass the other day going uphill when a motorhome and a car behind it came the other way.

There was a passing place on my right, but not big enough for the car and motorhome so I pulled into it to let them by. (Wrong I know, I should have stopped adjacent to the layby whilst they tried to manouvre past through the layby, but it was tight and I thought this would be easier).

The motorhome (German) stopped and the driver folded his arms and refused to go any further. I beckoned and signalled that they would clear me by about 2 feet but still he refused to go.

Eventually the driver of the car got out, walked to the front of the motorhome and showed him that he had a clear route through and gently explained that it might be in his best interests to take it which he did.

The car driver looked at me, looked at the now moving motorhome and gave what looked to me to be some sort of waving gesture in his direction. Must be some sort of Scottish custom?

What hope is there for us sensible motorhomers? This article in today’s Press & Journal says it all.View attachment 41231
That’s awful. Maybe explains that every time I park o/n on the NC500 there are always car drivers going by very late at night and early morning ie 3-4am blasting their horns and I mean long blasts. I’m trying to leave these big tourist routes alone now

Dont talk,i went to vis father inlaw at antrim hospital tonight,the car park is on most parts one way,yep sill ***** in hubbys 4x4 rangerover blocked my exit because she was going the wrong way and could not reverse,retest should be compulsery every 5 years and not in a fiat 500 toy car.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back