New Michelin Agils Crossclimate could be very good for wet grass and mud ?

Trek

Free Member

New Michelin Agils Crossclimate could be very good for wet grass and mud ?

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-agilis-crossclimate
[h=5]Optimal traction on all terrain types[/h]
  • Excellent traction on snow, 3PMSF certified.(3)
  • Unique V-shaped tread-pattern, with large tread blocks and wide grooves to maximize traction on snow, mud, grass, gravel…
  • V-Shape sculpture, with massive tread-blocks for optimal gearing.
  • Full-depth sipes with sharp edges, for long-lasting clawing effect.
  • Wide grooves with self-cleaning capacity.

I have never had much bother with Agilis Camping tyres, so I suppose it would always depend on the price of these Crossclimate ones. Are they more expensive? It would not matter to me if they wore down a bit quicker because I have never had to change tyres due to lack of tread.

Was wondering about the Agilis tread pattern.

I have an XC Camping on one front wheel and an Agilis on the other and the Agilis always lets go first on slippy ground. It struck me that there's not much pattern across the tyre compared to the XC's.

Cheers

H

I had been considering The Pirelli carrier all season with a noise rating of 68db (one of the quietest around) they are labeled m+s with 3peaks but looking at the tread i do wonder how they would cope with wet grass and mud

the crossclimate looks like it would provide more traction on mud ?

I would rather have a slightly noisier ride (73db ) than get stuck on wet grass and mud so its a compromise as always

Another all season tyre that is cheaper i am considering is available via 3 different brands all owned by Continental

Viking Fourtech Van
Matador MPS400 Variant AW2
General Eurovan A/S 365

these all have same tread and rated C A 73db

Winks;n35294 said:

I have an XC Camping on one front wheel and an Agilis on the other and the Agilis always lets go first on slippy ground. It struck me that there's not much pattern across the tyre compared to the XC's.

Cheers

H

Perhaps its not the tyre but the differential

I have noticed that the passenger/near side spins first Is this the same side as your Agilis?

Try swopping them around ?

Winks;n35294 said:

Cheers

H

My first van had Michelin XC Camping tyres and it would lose grip on damp concrete, never mind grass. They were truly awful. I have found the Agilis to be in a different class to the XC. They also ave saved me money by not having to pay a Tractor or 4x4 to get me out of trouble

Trek;n35297 said:
Perhaps its not the tyre but the differential

I have noticed that the passenger/near side spins first Is this the same side as your Agilis?

Try swopping them around ?

It is the nearside (UK) that lets go first. Mmmm?

Cheers

H

Dont do it in a 15" rim size so probably not as a replacement to the Agilis camping for me

PeteS;n35307 said:
Dont do it in a 15" rim size so probably not as a replacement to the Agilis camping for me

What are your 15 inch wheel tyre size ?

There are two 15 inch tyres on the web site

My size isn’t there either but the michelin chat via the web site tells me it will be available in June in my size 205/75R16 110/108

Winks;n35301 said:
It is the nearside (UK) that lets go first. Mmmm?

Cheers

H

I would suggest its not the tyre but the way the gear box’s differential works

all the Fiat Ducatos i have seen getting stuck or having traction problems its nearly always the near side tyre that spins and the off side remains still

if only Ducatos had diff locks !

Trek;n35295 said:
I had been considering The Pirelli carrier all season with a noise rating of 68db (one of the quietest around) they are labeled m+s with 3peaks but looking at the tread i do wonder how they would cope with wet grass and mud

the crossclimate looks like it would provide more traction on mud ?

I would rather have a slightly noisier ride (73db ) than get stuck on wet grass and mud so its a compromise as always

An increase of 3db is a doubling of sound so that isn't a slight increase although it may still be quiet enough

Trek;n35326 said:
What are your 15 inch wheel tyre size ?

There are two 15 inch tyres on the web site

My size isn’t there either but the michelin chat via the web site tells me it will be available in June in my size 205/75R16 110/108

215/70R15 109q Standard Peugeot/Fiat cab motorhome size

I have been reading reviews for these van cross climates and they do appear to be very good And also they say they remain effective as the tread wears down

I had 4 x Michelin cross climate tyres fitted to my aging Vauxhall Meriva in January this year. They cost a total just shy of £400, and served me well when I had to travel from Sheffield to south Wales in snow conditions. I was able to drive quite easily in freshly covered snowy country roads of Wales early in the morning when only 4x4s were daft enough to be out. I do not think there is any more road noise compared to standard tyres either. they get my thumbs up... apart from the price.

Just looked at the spec. Website says they are number 1 by every measure. Too good to be true? Or genuinely a great buy?

I will wait and see too, thank you for the information I will definitely be getting some towards the end of the year before we disappear off to spain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back