new sim good for roaming ?

Thanks for checking out the One Penny deal @Ardachaidh. There are a few deals posted here that are not what they seem.
Our Popit still working well in Sweden and Norway.If you were Restricted to 12gb @RoaminRog it would be good to tell us the reason or it just discredits Popit without saying why.

Virgin Forced me onto O2 so now I get 25Giga a month in Europe for a maximum of 65 days per trip.
I used to get unlimited which worked well last year, November to March this year and for my trip in April/ May.
I have now transferred to Popit, seems OK so far.
It did however take almost a week after giving Popit my PAC code to complete the transfer. I used an old phone so that I could still receive calls.

Thanks for checking out the One Penny deal @Ardachaidh. There are a few deals posted here that are not what they seem.
Our Popit still working well in Sweden and Norway.If you were Restricted to 12gb @RoaminRog it would be good to tell us the reason or it just discredits Popit without saying why.
They simply wrote to me and said I had used my 12Gb allowance in accordance with their fair use policy. I wasn’t trying to discredit them.
Glad that your Popit appears to be ok.

I have a Popit 100gb sim which has worked well to the limit so far and I am not aware that they have a 12gb fair use policy.
Now I am worried they will write to me out of the blue like they did to you saying I will be cut off. So it makes it appear they are not as good as they seem to be.
It's why I asked the question to check it was Popit and whether they gave you any reason for cutting you off.

I checked out Popit a few months ago and my wife got a sim for her new 5g phone, but the signal was so bad in our local area that she went back to Vodafone. I had thought it might be useful when we go to Spain, but the conditions seem a bit confusing, with anecdotal evidence that some find it works ok while Rog says he was capped.

Found this in their T's & C's: "Roam Like at Home is available to all customers who live in the UK and use the service in the UK as well as EU.* Link to Terms

*Our Service is not to be used as a Sole Roaming only service.

Are you after sole Roaming with no UK Usage please email h@popitmobile.co.uk for more info
."

I checked out Popit a few months ago and my wife got a sim for her new 5g phone, but the signal was so bad in our local area that she went back to Vodafone. I had thought it might be useful when we go to Spain, but the conditions seem a bit confusing, with anecdotal evidence that some find it works ok while Rog says he was capped.

Found this in their T's & C's: "Roam Like at Home is available to all customers who live in the UK and use the service in the UK as well as EU.* Link to Terms

*Our Service is not to be used as a Sole Roaming only service.

Are you after sole Roaming with no UK Usage please email h@popitmobile.co.uk for more info
."
I got a Popit SIM that I activated a few days before leaving for France. No issues with heavy data usage while in France for almost 60 days provided I continued to use the SIM for a time in the UK following my return. Now dormant at £1/month. Popit uses EE network in the UK (as does RWG), so you do need a good EE signal, but roaming in EUyou can always manually select a network if the default (in France it seemed to be Orange with Free as first fallback) does not have good bandwidth.

I was told by orange some years back that they were shutting down, so thats why i moved to one penny, i dont use a ph much, maybe once twice a week for about 20 seconds to find the wife hows hiding in tesco as they do.

Virgin Forced me onto O2 so now I get 25Giga a month in Europe for a maximum of 65 days per trip.
I used to get unlimited which worked well last year, November to March this year and for my trip in April/ May.
I have now transferred to Popit, seems OK so far.
It did however take almost a week after giving Popit my PAC code to complete the transfer. I used an old phone so that I could still receive calls.
Snap .lol.
Looking at rwg at the moment.

It seems a choice between RWG and Popit for use abroad.
I am still concerned that @RoaminRog was apparently cut off by Popit after 12gb without any explanation, as it could apparently happen to any of us happy Popit users.I hope he had a different deal but we don't know yet ????

I have just updated mine.
Existing customer unlimited Internet £10 plus VAT.
I'm OK with that.

I have just updated mine.
Existing customer unlimited Internet £10 plus VAT.
I'm OK with that.
The thread is about roamin sims.
But if you get unlimited for £10 please tell us where.............it's still a good deal even for just UK use.
Who did you "update" it with

But if you get unlimited for £10 please tell us where.............it's still a good deal even for just UK use.
Three business contract..

Not sure about EU roaming but have a look at Scancom I have an unlimited data 5G EE sim from them that works out around £12 a month inclusive. They do all sorts of cards and deals though. I have changed to EE 5G for home broadband using one of their SIMs.

Not sure about EU roaming but have a look at Scancom I have an unlimited data 5G EE sim from them that works out around £12 a month inclusive. They do all sorts of cards and deals though. I have changed to EE 5G for home broadband using one of their SIMs.
Scancoms fair use policy limits their unlimited data only sims to 12Gb monthly,

I’m using a 200Gb Data Only sim from RWG in the van router at the moment. I can’t find any info about EU roaming limits, but apparently you must show that primarily the sim will be used in the UK and any EU roaming takes the form of ‘Holiday trips’.
Thinking about it, this is possibly what upset Popit. I had spoken with them and asked if it was ok to ‘initiate’ a Popit sim whilst on holiday in Italy. I was told that there was ‘no reason why not’, but after about six weeks I was told that they were not a Roaming sim and our relationship has terminated.

From RWG website,

Roaming
International roaming is automatically enabled when you receive your RWG Mobile SIM Card. All EU roaming is included on the same terms as your UK plans and prices for all of our monthly plans above £3.50 (not included on FREE, £2, £3.50 plans or 1 Yr and 2 Yr plans).
The EU is defined as the 27 countries within the European Union.
EU Roaming outside of bundles is charged at standard rates of 5p/min, 5p/SMS and 1p/MB.
Roaming outside of the EU requires a credit balance.
You do not need to change the APN settings on your phone in order to receive data services abroad.

Last edited:
Scancoms fair use policy limits their unlimited data only sims to 12Gb monthly,
Is that the roaming bit Rog? Fair use on my sim is either 500 or 600Gb per month in the UK which is where I bought it for

Sorry if this is off topic but you lot seem to have this sussed!

I am after an EE sim for use in the uk as an alternative to Smarty, unfortunately I often find despite my external Poynting antenna that there’s less service from Smarty (on Three) than on my phone, which is on Virgin I.e was Vodaphone now O2.

What I like about Smarty is I only pay for months when we are using the van, right now we are paying £10 for 60gb of data.

My last £10 worth ran out last weekend, next £10 worth won’t get bought until late August when we go to the big picnic.

This makes Smarty extremely economical. I get emails saying the plans run out but they don’t seem to start to cancel the account for about 6 months and we’ve never gone that long without buying another months worth.

I don’t know what my type of contract is called?
Is there an EE equivalent that works in the same way?

Thanks

Try Uswitch I've just took out a monthly with talkmobile who use Vodafone network for 70g data for £9.95 .I have a contract with EE that runs out next month but it's crept up to just over 20 quid a month .The wife was with virgin and was paying 15 quid a month she in now with 02 for £6.75 I think but they have deals on there for EE as well .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back