New to all this :) free membership and rallies

Lizzie

Hi everyone,
I’m new to vanlife, and forums, and rallies for that matter, so please be kind :)
With so many possible clubs to join, I have signed up to this site as you all seem to have a sense of humour, but have not paid for a membership (yet) so my question is can I join one of your rallies without full membership? Me and my friendly Labrador would love to come and meet a few of you.
Thank you in advance for all sensible replies, off the cuff remarks and newbie jokes 😉

Hi everyone,
I’m new to vanlife, and forums, and rallies for that matter, so please be kind :)
With so many possible clubs to join, I have signed up to this site as you all seem to have a sense of humour, but have not paid for a membership (yet) so my question is can I join one of your rallies without full membership? Me and my friendly Labrador would love to come and meet a few of you.
Thank you in advance for all sensible replies, off the cuff remarks and newbie jokes 😉
Hi @Lizzie,

Unfortunately, our rallies are held using a camping exemption. This exemption requires that all attendees be paying members to prevent the organisation holding an exemption certificate from using the exemption to hold public events.

I hope this makes sense.

Phil

Hi everyone,
My humour is like my Burstner delaminated floor - badly warped. But welcome to the Forum! It's a bit of a cliché [but only because it's true], but the information, advice and support you get off fellow members will recoup your membership fee in next to no time. And, on a rally, the support becomes human, with all sorts of help and tips, with the added advantage that, if your problem cannot be solved, there's always the Bar ...

Steve

the real value of this forum is not just the rallies though they are great like minded people enjoying themselves , but the depth of knowledge banked here i gaurentee some one else has a simular van and someone else has had the same problems and most only too willing to help

Hi everyone,
Morning
We have just joined had been with other clubs previously. Last year we had a year off and van less, but had met a few members at shows which we just went to for the day. So from their recommendations and watching the site for nearly a year, it was a no brainer. Already booked Hereford in may, show Newark in June and Rye in July. Also lots of members will help you solve most problems. X

To keep things basic, we are first and foremost an online forum, solving each others problems and generally helping each other and also keeping each other company.
The Rallies are a natural extension of our friendship, where we get to meet each other in person so to speak and many long and firm friendships have been kindled in this way.
You are free to monitor the forum, and then decide if we are your ‘sort of people’ before subscribing to membership, but, as a clue, you never hear of anyone voluntarily leaving the group, it becomes a way of life!

I'm not the rally type, I'm like Groucho Marx, I'd not want to be in any club that would have me but this forum and the other two you get for free are filed with some pretty good people, most have a sense of humour, there are a couple of grumpy buggers but they often provide some excellent information too.

The cost of membership isn't much more than a lunch with a friend, and you'll probably save that if you need help choosing something for your van, I'm not in favour of subscribing to forums per se, but Phil has pretty much nailed these three so I'm happy to cough up each year.

Hi Lizzie, welcome to the forum.

I think you would find that the cost of membership would soon be recouped by attending a rally as they are good value for money compared to booking on to a commercial site. In addition the members are all very helpful with advice and possibly even sorting out any niggles you might have with your van. It's quite a common sight at rallies to see a group gathered around one van discussing a problem.

The group is a disparate mixture of old and young, some couples and some solos. All sorts of "motorhomes" from huge white boxes to little ones that could be mistaken for a plumbers van, all ages of vans from zero to at least 30 years old, some self built and others major manufacturers' conversions. There are quite a few ladies who camp on their own, and a lot of the members seem to be dog lovers.

I am sure you would fit in very well.

I can only reiterate what others have said. I joined this forum 9 years ago and have never regretted it. The level of support it has given me in when I have had to push myself to go anywhere let alone behind the wheel has been amazing. Good hearted teasing and joking can be the order of the day and banter around campfire whilst watching stars or sitting in the rain is far better than the manicured campsite that could cost you more for one night than membership for the year. Advice and practical help abounds.
Hope to meet you in a field with us sometime.

We were here for a while before we actually joined. We were away quite a lot, with an old van , so didn't get online very much. Once we bit the bullet and started to use our phones when in Europe, we discovered that this was a good place for not only advice, but also friendliness. If you are a grouch (Pudsey) or newbie like Christine D. A stargazer like Andromeda or the village idiot like me, there is always something to chat about.

We have still to brave a rally, but that will come this years if I can get the b*^%dy van sorted!

. If you are a grouch (Pudsey)
ERR!!! excuse me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Where does it say (apart from above) that I am a grouch, I'm a fun loving bear, I just can't do with morons and keyboards bullies, fortunately not too many on here, but we all have off days, so take that back or I'll come and crap on your windscreen, if someone will give me a hand up.

ERR!!! excuse me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Where does it say (apart from above) that I am a grouch, I'm a fun loving bear, I just can't do with morons and keyboards bullies, fortunately not too many on here, but we all have off days, so take that back or I'll come and crap on your windscreen, if someone will give me a hand up.
You think that's bad? I called myself the "village idiot"! I'll go crap on my own windscreen I think! Or I'll put up my new van wash tower and we can do it in unison... :unsure: :D :ROFLMAO: (y)

Back