Newhaven to Dieppe Booking Discount Confirmation

marchie

Missed the Call Centre closing time yesterday by 2 minutes after a fat finger misdial! However, when I called again this morning, the algorith that had jacked the List Price up from £120.50 to £139.50 had cleared and we were given to Over 60 Discount on both the Ferry and the Cabin! 2 Adults, Small M/Home, 4 berth single cabin on 2300 single crossing £132.40. Happy days!

Steve

oh the joys of landing in dieppe at 4:30 in the morning pitch black peeing it down wanting to go back to bed and the sat nav struggling to get a signal ( must have passed the same supermarket 3 times) not done it since the overnight i mean, but that is a really good price my crossing in mid jan at lunchtime was £67 with discount until i added the dogs

Missed the Call Centre closing time yesterday by 2 minutes after a fat finger misdial! However, when I called again this morning, the algorith that had jacked the List Price up from £120.50 to £139.50 had cleared and we were given to Over 60 Discount on both the Ferry and the Cabin! 2 Adults, Small M/Home, 4 berth single cabin on 2300 single crossing £132.40. Happy days!

Steve
Lucky you .....I'm still waiting for the Call can't go anywhere soon, when you off ?? 🏖

oh the joys of landing in dieppe at 4:30 in the morning pitch black peeing it down wanting to go back to bed and the sat nav struggling to get a signal ( must have passed the same supermarket 3 times) not done it since the overnight i mean, but that is a really good price my crossing in mid jan at lunchtime was £67 with discount until i added the dogs
We push on through Rouen, Ken, and might take a breakfast break; or, when we were stopping off at our hovel in the Vendee, get as far as Alencon for the 3 hours sleep catch up [but that was before we treated ourselves to the luxury of a cabin and a shower!]. This year we'll make the first overnight stop at Meung-sur-Loire to get clear of Orleans Rush Hour for the following morning's departure (y)

BTW, we are limited by the house insurance unoccupancy cover to 60 days away; there is a benefit to that, because taking a 60 days AXA Schengen Travel Policy for €266 for both of us [higher medical cover benefits], instead of the Multi Trip equivalent, not only is there no Age restriction, there is no Health Declaration for pre-existing conditions! The only question is 'Do you have your Credit Card to pay the premium?' :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Lucky you .....I'm still waiting for the Call can't go anywhere soon, when you off ?? 🏖
10th December crossing, so we will have to leave home by 8th December. Ist night The Smallholding, Brereton Heath, Congleton: 2nd night Hagley Bypass A491 [between J3 & J4 of M5 South]; 3rd night on the Ferry! Woohoo!

Steve

10th December crossing, so we will have to leave home by 8th December. Ist night The Smallholding, Brereton Heath, Congleton: 2nd night Hagley Bypass A491 [between J3 & J4 of M5 South]; 3rd night on the Ferry! Woohoo!

Steve
The Smallholding looks lovely, but only shows as open April to October. Can you confirm it’s available in Winter too.

Steve
Lovely.....Congleton only 30 mins away from us in Stoke , Enjoy your trip , look forward to seeing your pics 👍

The Smallholding looks lovely, but only shows as open April to October. Can you confirm it’s available in Winter too.
Thanks for the warning! I've just phoned to check, and the site did close on 31st October. Mrs M., the Owner, said that they used to stay open but that customers were looking for EHU, rather than relying on gas heating & 12v lighting, so she no longer offers year round camping. I've become accustomed to just turning up on the way south in November/December, and en route to Scotland in February, and being allowed to stay!

All goes to show that familiarity breeds ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Reactions: 2cv
Roughwood Farm CL, next Junction on M6 South, looks very similar in price and facilities, albeit Cassette only, rather than separate 'proper toilet'. We can manage for 1 night! Might have to fit a quick visit to my son in Worthing to empty the Cassette before boarding the Ferry, as we did in 2021 ... [and nearly left the emptied Cassette when we were about to leave!]

Steve

Have a look at this one

Have a look at this one
That's too far south for Night 1, and too close to Hagley Bypass for Night 2. We should have plenty of time on Day 3 for the final stage to Newhaven, so shorter stages during reduced daylight hours finding new CLs makes more sense

Steve

Thanks for the warning! I've just phoned to check, and the site did close on 31st October. Mrs M., the Owner, said that they used to stay open but that customers were looking for EHU, rather than relying on gas heating & 12v lighting, so she no longer offers year round camping. I've become accustomed to just turning up on the way south in November/December, and en route to Scotland in February, and being allowed to stay!

All goes to show that familiarity breeds ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
As you may remember, we've often used "Smallholding" ourselves when travelling north into Scotland on the west side the UK. She's elderly and loves simplicity, and it's not surprising she's now decided to open Spring Summer Autumn in future.
PM will be shortly sent. 😳

Quick summary:

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry overnight £132.40 after discount for Over 60 [4 berth outside cabin included]
AXA 60 Days Schengen Travel Insurance €266 [£225.08] for higher grade Cover [hospital cover €100k and accommodation/ travel costs for the person who is not ill]
AA European Breakdown Multi Trip Annual Policy EU Zone 2 £173.37

Chose AA because they specifically referred to Motorhomes and stipulate maximum domensions of the vehicle for Recovery; RAC say 'small vans only, UNDER 33500kg', but the Call Agent said his script said 3500kg was covered [but no dimensions], and he looked up his Procedure Guide and found a reference to 'not exceeding 3500Kg' and 'up to and including 3500kg'! 3 different definitions, but the Policy documents still say 'small vans' and no reference to Motorhomes, although the far more expensive CAMH RAC Arrival Policy makes specific reference to Motorhomes being covered [tbf, without weight restriction]. What a shambolic definition [or lack of definition] of what is covered. Not prepared to risk finding out the hard way, so goodbye RAC'

Just need to confirm that AA will attend for punctures etc when Motorhome is supplied with no Spare Wheel [ IIRC, I had this discussion with AA in 2021 when the first European policy was takken out]

Steve

Quick summary:

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry overnight £132.40 after discount for Over 60 [4 berth outside cabin included]
AXA 60 Days Schengen Travel Insurance €266 [£225.08] for higher grade Cover [hospital cover €100k and accommodation/ travel costs for the person who is not ill]
AA European Breakdown Multi Trip Annual Policy EU Zone 2 £173.37

Chose AA because they specifically referred to Motorhomes and stipulate maximum domensions of the vehicle for Recovery; RAC say 'small vans only, UNDER 33500kg', but the Call Agent said his script said 3500kg was covered [but no dimensions], and he looked up his Procedure Guide and found a reference to 'not exceeding 3500Kg' and 'up to and including 3500kg'! 3 different definitions, but the Policy documents still say 'small vans' and no reference to Motorhomes, although the far more expensive CAMH RAC Arrival Policy makes specific reference to Motorhomes being covered [tbf, without weight restriction]. What a shambolic definition [or lack of definition] of what is covered. Not prepared to risk finding out the hard way, so goodbye RAC'

Just need to confirm that AA will attend for punctures etc when Motorhome is supplied with no Spare Wheel [ IIRC, I had this discussion with AA in 2021 when the first European policy was takken out]

Steve
No breakdown cover on your motorhome insurance?

We push on through Rouen, Ken, and might take a breakfast break; or, when we were stopping off at our hovel in the Vendee, get as far as Alencon for the 3 hours sleep catch up [but that was before we treated ourselves to the luxury of a cabin and a shower!]. This year we'll make the first overnight stop at Meung-sur-Loire to get clear of Orleans Rush Hour for the following morning's departure (y)

BTW, we are limited by the house insurance unoccupancy cover to 60 days away; there is a benefit to that, because taking a 60 days AXA Schengen Travel Policy for €266 for both of us [higher medical cover benefits], instead of the Multi Trip equivalent, not only is there no Age restriction, there is no Health Declaration for pre-existing conditions! The only question is 'Do you have your Credit Card to pay the premium?' :ROFLMAO:

Steve
Is there a cheap flight you could take back to the UK? to revist the flat within 60 days for one night? Suffer the hell of Ryanair and shelling out £30 return or whatever might be worth it?

Is there a cheap flight you could take back to the UK? to revist the flat within 60 days for one night? Suffer the hell of Ryanair and shelling out £30 return or whatever might be worth it?
Can't be a 1 night stay, David. The occupancy must include evidence of daily living [incl cooking meals and cleaning, which we avoid wherever possible, even when we are in residence ...], and sleeping etc. It's quite intrusive [and preposterous, because we would have to cook our salads during occupancy at the height of August to meet the criteria ...]; but we can't get sensible cover elsewhere, thanks to the flood caused by the upstairs neighbour's stupidity in December 2022 because the bloody insurance industry hide behind their cartel practice of forcing the innocent party to claim against their own policy, instead of paying out under the 3rd Party Liability Claims. And they have the barefaced cheek to advise customers to act honestly if they want Claims to be met ...

Steve

I just renewed out health travel insurance with LV. Last year 166 quid and this year they wanted £221. I renewed on line at £209 though plus £14 cashback on TopCashBack. It's the Premium cover which covers up to 90 days with my wife's pre existing medical conditions covered.

No, unfortunately! But, as a firm believer in the 'No such thing as a Free Lunch' adage, I would have paid for that cover in the Motorhome Premium.

Steve
Haven't checked for a while but it was , at one time , cheaper .
I opened a co-op bank account (£13 per month) for my travel insurance it also includes EU breakdown but just noticed it is only for vehicles up to 5.5m long . Fortunately I don't need it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back