Next of kin

My suggestion is either behind the sun visor or in the glove box, I would expect every van to have one or the other.

I had the unfortunate experience of being taken ill at last new years meet and was thankful to Lee for his prompt assistance. Thankfully friends knew of my medical problems and all turn out well. And a big thanks to Phil for his help with transport.

We've now had this discussion over the last week, and heard many members views.
Maybe its decision time.......
No one is asking for personal details other than any that could save a life in an emergency.

Can we agree to displaying (placing) medical details on a voluntary basis in a predetermined place.

Interesting thread. Got me thinking, I’ve always carried my repairs details in my wallet, pacemaker, heart stuff and the like.
Bearing in mind what was said about the ICE feature on the iPhone, I’ve now put these in my phone case.
So if ever I keel over at a meet, you’ll all know where to find them. Or even find my “off switch “.😬

My suggestion is either behind the sun visor or in the glove box, I would expect every van to have one or the other.
I agree with Lee. Don't feel comfortable holding ICE details, even in sealed envelope. All that is needed is next of kin and any medical info on a sheet of paper. I would prefer it to be stuck behind the sun visor as some glove boxes are glory holes of all sorts of info etc.

• Thank You
Reactions: Lee
Trouble with the sun visor is mine have to go down every night for the blind to fit so I'll be forever picking said bit of paper off the floor, hopefully before the dogs walk all over it with mucky paws or chew it up. Then where do I put it at night time?

Trouble with the sun visor is mine have to go down every night for the blind to fit so I'll be forever picking said bit of paper off the floor, hopefully before the dogs walk all over it with mucky paws or chew it up. Then where do I put it at night time?
Sticky tape?

The Lions Club (UK) provides this kit available from some pharmacies. They recommend that you fill it in and put it in the fridge. The sticker goes inside the entrance door telling the emergency service that the info is available. IMG_20191016_131839.jpgIMG_20191016_131538.jpg
IMG_20191016_131633.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191016_132016.jpg
    IMG_20191016_132016.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 4
I think we are in danger of "overegging" or overcooking this.
I understand and welcome the Rally organisers being careful about their responsibilities.
And so info needs to be at hand..
But we all travel far and wide without much thought to "next of kin and medical details" should there be a RTA or other emergency on a campsite abroad..Or indeed whilst "Wildcamping".
Yes info needs to be at hand so a simple list yes !

Reactions: Lee
The Lions Club (UK) provides this kit available from some pharmacies. They recommend that you fill it in and put it in the fridge. The sticker goes inside the entrance door telling the emergency service that the info is available. View attachment 50603View attachment 50604
View attachment 50601
I have one of these at home and although it's very good, I think, after reading it our members would possibly want all that infirmation to be shared, when away in their motor home.
I still think we only require the basic information.

What about this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/624837801/ice-medical-alert-medical-alert-seat? I am sure there are similar elsewhere. As with many of the suggestions this only works if you can get access to the mh.
That's a useful item.
Looking at the various posts it seems that there is a multiplicity of systems which the emergency services are using. If there is an emergency the ambulance/police will have access to the information.

The main thing is to have made a note of the information and have it accessible. A note of your ICE on the back of the sun visor reminds you to keep the info up to date, wherever else you choose to keep it.

Meg

When travelling to France a couple of years back as a group of friends we all provided contact details for ICE and next of kin. This was shared between the group and we also set up a ‘What’s App’ group so that locations could be ‘pinged’ if anyone got separated/lost whilst travelling. The system worked well for us, Also when we travel abroad now we each give our spare van keys to one of the others, and a list of all relevant information - I.e. name of insurers, breakdown cover, health insurance, passport number etc. just in case! I am a solo traveller insofar as there is only me and the dog in my van but I am usually with friends who have all my details.
I think something along the lines on the ‘Lions’ containers which many people use at home re medication information etc for the emergency services would be a great idea that could be adapted for Motorhomers.

Great thought provoking thread.
Love the phone idea but unfortunately phones can die or may need charging. Think an info card with the barest of essential info on are the way to go. Perhaps the cards could indicate where more in depth info could be found in dire emergencies. At a meet all the stewards need to know is where info can be found. More paperwork for organisers whether sealed or not means more beaurocracy and I may be wrong but may affect insurances re security of info. This in turn may put up costs of meets etc although the latter is obviously less important than safety.

How come I could book a package holiday anywhere, stay on a campsite anywhere, drive my motorhome astop anywhere and NOBODY asks me about these details with the exception maybe of travel insurance?

I have had some nasty events during my life and each time the emergency services managed just fine.

if someone has a particular/rare condition it may be advantageous for them to share this info but fir the majority I would say not.

if I can add something very tongue in cheek more as a joke do you realise how lucrative it would be for someone to break into vans fir the medication some of us carry lol

if this does become a requirement I doubt very much I would attend any more meets but there is nothing wrong with having the discussion and who knows what may come out of it 👍

As a rally steward I once had a problem that someone took ill and was taken to hospital. Luckily he recovered sufficiently to come back and get his relatives to come drive his unit home. If he had not been able to come back I would have had the problem of what to do with his van when the rally ended and we had to clear the field. If he had been incommunicado his relatives would not have known where his van was! All I needed was the contact details of someone who could deal with his van. I did not need to know his medical history or even why he was in hospital.

How come I could book a package holiday anywhere, stay on a campsite anywhere, drive my motorhome astop anywhere and NOBODY asks me about these details with the exception maybe of travel insurance?

I have had some nasty events during my life and each time the emergency services managed just fine.

if someone has a particular/rare condition it may be advantageous for them to share this info but fir the majority I would say not.

if I can add something very tongue in cheek more as a joke do you realise how lucrative it would be for someone to break into vans fir the medication some of us carry lol

if this does become a requirement I doubt very much I would attend any more meets but there is nothing wrong with having the discussion and who knows what may come out of it 👍
This isn't obligatory, nobody is saying you have to have the form, it's a free world and you are responsible for your own well being.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back