No water at taps.

Trotter

Micro switch system
Plenty of pressure at pump.
I let the on board water run dry. When I realise that, I put 30 litres into the tank. Switched the water pump back on , pump runs, and on stripping the system down, found plenty of pressure at the pump outlet. Tried a second pump. Again plenty of pressure.
None finding it’s way to the taps.
Do I need to prime the system? If so, how?

I have considered charging over to a Sureflow, but I don’t think the plumbing would be good enough for constant pressure. It’s all joints and jubilee clips.

Mine is constant pressure so no experience of micro switch systems but I am sure I have seen posts saying you have to bleed Del

Does the micro switch not only activate the pump? do you have a nrv non return valve could that be stuck?

Mine is constant pressure so no experience of micro switch systems but I am sure I have seen posts saying you have to bleed Del
As I said, I’d go this way, but that would take a complete refit.

Does the micro switch not only activate the pump? do you have a nrv non return valve could that be stuck?
Yup, the taps have a micro switch fitted internally, and the pump only works when a tap is opened. Do I have a non return valve? That might be the question I’m asking 🙄😬

If I've read it correctly, you have no water at any tap, which would be unusual, one yes but not all, does the pump run when you open the taps, if so I wouldn't suspect an airlock as the taps are open and the water would just exit the taps.

You said "found plenty of pressure at the pump outlet" how did you measure it?

If the pump run when opening the taps I'd say the microswitches are fine.

If you are getting water from the pump & if plenty of pressure then it is fine .

If the pump is pumping then water is going somewhere.

I'd suggest a faulty pump but you have already substituted unless that too is faulty.

Micro switch system
Plenty of pressure at pump.
I let the on board water run dry. When I realise that, I put 30 litres into the tank. Switched the water pump back on , pump runs, and on stripping the system down, found plenty of pressure at the pump outlet. Tried a second pump. Again plenty of pressure.
None finding it’s way to the taps.
Do I need to prime the system? If so, how?

I have considered charging over to a Sureflow, but I don’t think the plumbing would be good enough for constant pressure. It’s all joints and jubilee clips.
Ref the sureflow option, if you turn the pump off when not needed and open a tap briefly, the pipes POST pump will not be kept pressurised.
Just a thought.

Unless they have really cut corners then the pipework will be the same as any van.

The Shurflo pumps come in two pressures 21 or 30 psi which isn't that high if you consider the force you get from the taps.

With the reference to a none return valve. I resorted to getting the van manual out. Oh the shame 🫣😳.
Any road, it said check the priming valve. Striped out the boot, got everything out. Contortionist me, got my head into the Truma locker, with torch. Valve? What valve.
Totally peeved now, thought sod it. Shoved it all back together. Bloody thing worked. So that’s the answer. Get the book out, read the relevant paragraph, and as if by magic, it’ll work. But you need a to waste an afternoon first.
Oh by the way.I’ve got a couple of new pumps.

With the reference to a none return valve. I resorted to getting the van manual out. Oh the shame 🫣😳.
Any road, it said check the priming valve. Striped out the boot, got everything out. Contortionist me, got my head into the Truma locker, with torch. Valve? What valve.
Totally peeved now, thought sod it. Shoved it all back together. Bloody thing worked. So that’s the answer. Get the book out, read the relevant paragraph, and as if by magic, it’ll work. But you need a to waste an afternoon first.
Oh by the way.I’ve got a couple of new pumps.
Yer manual is tracking you just like social media, you only have to think it and hey presto an advert or subject you have been thinking of pops up AI has gone too far!

Would you come and read about our tap please , Del? We only have one and when it is turned on, can't hear pump and nothing comes out! Just a mild inconvenience but another job when we have time!

Unless they have really cut corners then the pipework will be the same as any van.

The Shurflo pumps come in two pressures 21 or 30 psi which isn't that high if you consider the force you get from the taps.
@Trotter's comment on replacing with Shurflow did worry me. Our setup is microswitches, and they are 'in the loop': I've experimented with disconnecting one and then opening the tap. The setup though has a Shurflow pump (which I have replaced like for like a couple of years ago - and 21psi), which I'm sure has an integrated pressure switch. My assumption was that we had a 'mullet' system after a previous pump swap out.

As one of the taps needs replacing, I was thinking of simply bypassing the microswitches at the tap I am changing and the one I can easily get to and replacing the faulty tap with a non-switched tap [and leaving the two I can't easily get to until such time as they need attention]*. I hadn't given thought to the idea that the plumbing might not be up to having constant pressurised system.

*This is because I've failed to find a common point which would enable me to take the switches out of the circuit at one place.

Last edited:
Spent most of yesterday sterilising the fresh water tank on a friend's Campervan. We drained and refilled the tank 3 times during the process and had to drive the Van about 50 metres to the nearest drain each time. As we purged the system of air via the kitchen and bathroom taps [I was standing over the tank by the rear door observing], the air lock caused a reverse whirlpool effect, throwing 'belches' of water at least 6 inches into the air, giving a fair amount of mopping up to do! It took a good 50-60 litres of refill water into the empty tank until the airlock was broken, and a consistent pressure achieved.

So our symptoms and solution were virtually identical to yours, Del! Dry tank to full, tank shaken getting on and off the driveway, then 5 minutes each time of leaving taps open and observing through the open tank the plumes of water displaced by the airlock until the system was well and truly purged. And we had to repeat the process 3 times [1 x sterilise, 2 x flushes] up to the taps! No black magic or fluke, just an awful lot of air to be purged ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Would you come and read about our tap please , Del? We only have one and when it is turned on, can't hear pump and nothing comes out! Just a mild inconvenience but another job when we have time!
Can’t find your tap post. But it seems that if you can’t hear the pump, it ain’t working 😬 So, either a wire has fallen off, or ‘Tis a fuse.
I always trust Lee’s repair theory. The only tools you need, are an electrician screwdriver and a club hammer. If neither of those works, it’s technical.

Can’t find your tap post. But it seems that if you can’t hear the pump, it ain’t working 😬 So, either a wire has fallen off, or ‘Tis a fuse.
I always trust Lee’s repair theory.

The only tools you need, are an electrician screwdriver and a club hammer. If neither of those works, it’s technical.
Have to disagree there. What abiut Duct Tape? That is an essential :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back