North of Scotland!

The Prime Minister, the First Minister, the Chief Medical Officer have all asked people not to travel. I think that the caravan clubs are not helping by keeping sites open frankly. If you saw that interview with the Italian doctor yesterday who said their biggest mistake was not insisting on social separation earlier was the most telling one yet. Sit on the sofa and help the country. Its that simple.

They have closed all caravan and camping/ motorhome and camping club sites along with CL sites as of tomorrow

They have closed all caravan and camping/ motorhome and camping club sites along with CL sites as of tomorrow

I think you'll find they're closed as of today, Robert. There may be a bit of discretion at each individual site to allow people time to get sorted for moving off, but sites should be cleared by Tuesday latest, I would think.

(Solid info from 2 friends who work as assistant wardens for the Caravan & Motorhome Club, don't know about the CC&C)

Marie I took the date from another site where the member was at his van today doing repairs when a warden told him that as of tomorrow even he could not come to his van as of tomorrow ( Strathclyde county park)

Asked not to visit the Isle of Skye either
Ian Blackford
6 hrs ·
Thank you to everyone who has contacted me over the last few days regarding Covid-19 and in particular regarding tourists coming to The Highlands. I can only apologise that the volume of messages are going to make it difficult for me and my staff to respond to all of the correspondence in the short term. As an example we have had many hundreds of emails yesterday and I do want to thank all who have got in touch with me and to thank my staff for helping to manage the increased level of correspondence.

Now to the substance, requests to the public not to come to the Highlands are not working and we need to move to take firmer action. The emergency powers legislation comes in front of Westminster tomorrow. I will be calling on the UK and Scottish Government to take a number of steps. Key to this is to shut down all accommodation providers including hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday rental properties and the right for tourist camper vans to come to the Highlands and Islands except for those on essential working engagements that need accommodation. All camping and caravan parks need to be shut to tourists, all ski resorts that are currently attracting significant numbers and any tourist destinations need to be closed. The Jacobite train from Fort William to Mallaig as one example must be closed.

I need to call out examples of completely unacceptable behaviour. A spokesperson for Sykes who arrange holiday rental accommodation, wrote to me yesterday the following:
“Given concerns surrounding the current outbreak, it is understandable that people would want to arrange private accommodation in more remote locations to distance themselves from larger towns and cities.

“As latest Government guidance does not prohibit travel in the UK, we are continuing to provide a service for customers and property owners.”
This I have to say is the height of irresponsibility. This company are actively encouraging people to come to the Highlands risking the potential spread of Covid-19 that would threaten our communities and put pressure on the health services in remote and rural areas. We are not like a city where you can travel to the next hospital if one is already under pressure. If you live in the north of Skye you will be 135 miles to your nearest general hospital. Sykes are not alone. For example the Cottages website are forcing home owners to accept bookings.

As there is a lack of an ability to accept responsibility we need to take action to force providers to shut down.
My message to tourists is in the Highlands we are renowned for the welcome we provide. Once we have defeated this virus we will of course welcome you back. For those visiting the Highlands just now, please leave. Please go home. For anyone thinking of coming to the Highlands just don’t.

Over this last two days there are still motorhomes travelling north on the A9 & A99 to John O Groats and the NC500.
Lady at JoG campsite was verbally abused for not opening up her campsite.
Sango Sands at Durness had to physically block entrance to dissuade campervans and motorhomes from entering.
Locals up here are fearful these vans will bring greater concentration of virus in a shorter time than would occur naturally thus putting the already sparse and strained medical and essential services under severe strain.
Our normally welcoming and friendly community are losing patience with the attitude and responses they are receiving from some campers.
Ferries have restricted bookings to islanders and essential travel, our First minister and Chief Medical Officer have urged people NOT to try to escape to the Highlands and Islands with possible emergency orders coming in this week.
Please respect our communities by staying at home and when this has all run its course we will welcome you back and we will visit your communities.
Stay safe and keep us all safe.

Champion ! 👍👍👍
I'm heading up to Applecross and Skye starting Thursday as long as motorhome is back from dealer, having temp repair done to window as leaking in so the dealer tells me. New seals and wall board ordered from Pilote for permanent fix in near future.
'local' news in the North is for Motorhomers to stay away due to current situation. It's like many things, some gave clearing the small local shops by panic buying.
Let's not gets us a bad name & for everyone to do the right thing & stay at home no matter how difficult it makes it for you. We'll get on the road again once all over.
Stay safe everyone.

Champion ! 👍👍👍
I'm heading up to Applecross and Skye starting Thursday as long as motorhome is back from dealer, having temp repair done to window as leaking in so the dealer tells me. New seals and wall board ordered from Pilote for permanent fix in near future.
Please don't. Local news is that the locals are trying to ban folk. Respect their wishes and stay at home. Please!

The Prime Minister, the First Minister, the Chief Medical Officer have all asked people not to travel. I think that the caravan clubs are not helping by keeping sites open frankly. If you saw that interview with the Italian doctor yesterday who said their biggest mistake was not insisting on social separation earlier was the most telling one yet. Sit on the sofa and help the country. Its that simple.
Both Clubs have closed their sites & I believe that they are trying to close all the CL's as well.
At least some people are being sensible about the current situation!

What's the feeling up there about the virus? Are MHomers frowned upon because they may be spreading it or are they more worried about the hit on their economy?
It's about spreading virus, and buying local produce which in turn leaves a shortfall for locals of the essential items. We've already had motorhomers panic buying goods, leaving village short. Don't be a muppet and buy up what our elderly neighbours need.
Sorry Gordon, but more & more local people are now becoming angry at how disrespectful visitors are being.
One person travelled 70 miles for rice only to complain that she could only get white rice in our local shop! How ignorant is that, if you are that desparate you'd take what was available!

Let’s hope folk adhere to what’s getting said,
apparentlyv at the weekend Blackpool,Aberdeen ,and a few other promenades were heaving with folk as were national trust sites , where are the brains in them twats! Pubs I. Glasgow and other areas refusing to close ,well pull their licenses imho
Think there will be a total stay indoors coming because of A HOLES

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back