Oh dear, I’m overweight

Putting a 125kg mbike plus 75kg rack on the back of my van helps reduce the load on
the front axle by 100kg actually helps balance things out a bit. Much safer I tell my anti
biking missus ?
Maybe overloading the back axle though? :rolleyes:

Col
In the Liverpool area there should be plenty available.
The city council have to keep a register of public weighbridges but no lust on their website - you could ring them.
Failing that a good start is to try bulk scrap metal dealers who will have them and may agree to weigh each axle for you - no doubt for a small fee.

Well rang Liverpool City Council & they don't have any info on public weighbridges. Gave me the number for Highways Agency which turned out to be Facilities Management for North Somerset Council. The guy there got the correct number for the Highways Agency - spoke to them & they didn't have a list either, he just googled it & came back with the only one being in Birkenhead which has no website or contact number. Getting bored now lol, going to work.

Col

Well rang Liverpool City Council & they don't have any info on public weighbridges. Gave me the number for Highways Agency which turned out to be Facilities Management for North Somerset Council. The guy there got the correct number for the Highways Agency - spoke to them & they didn't have a list either, he just googled it & came back with the only one being in Birkenhead which has no website or contact number. Getting bored now lol, going to work.

Col
I use on of these. Bit expensive but I have found it accurate enough for my needs https://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1204

I use on of these. Bit expensive but I have found it accurate enough for my needs https://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1204
Hi Ray
I've got one but don't trust the readings on mine. I can take successive weights & there can be a difference of 50kgs between the two weights.
I've used it on the driveway but it's not smooth at all & i'm thinking maybe that's causing the difference. I'll take it up to Sainsbury's car park & try it there to see if that makes a difference.

Col

Hi Ray
I've got one but don't trust the readings on mine. I can take successive weights & there can be a difference of 50kgs between the two weights.
I've used it on the driveway but it's not smooth at all & i'm thinking maybe that's causing the difference. I'll take it up to Sainsbury's car park & try it there to see if that makes a difference.

Col
A few members on WC have one and they recommend firm level ground and putting a block the same thickness as the scales under the other wheels

Maybe overloading the back axle though? :rolleyes:

No, no chance in my case, back axle has margin of +1.9tonnes but front
0.5tonnes. A lot of commercial vehicles are configured loading wise to
have most of the load evenly distributed over the rear axle. Motorhomes
often have a lot of fixed load bearing over the front axle with no practical way of
distribution to even things up, very dependant on layout of course.

A few members on WC have one and they recommend firm level ground and putting a block the same thickness as the scales under the other wheels

That’s spot on, ours gives consistent readings but you do have to be on a level hard surface with a block under the opposing wheel to make sure the axle weight is evenly measured.

That’s spot on, ours gives consistent readings but you do have to be on a level hard surface with a block under the opposing wheel to make sure the axle weight is evenly measured.

Will take a piece of scaffolding plank with me - suppose I'll just have to buy some cans of Guiness while I'm there, just to justify being in the car park of course.

Col

Forgot to add that you need to roll over the Reich fairly slowly and consistently.......

Dave

I get a print out of my axle weights with the MOT certificate..
I watched a test being carried out and I am surprised that the sum of the individual axle weights would equal the total weight. The front or rear wheels were thrust downwards on the rollers and the vehicle was nowhere near level.

Last edited:
Jeez! That's put the fear in me. Tis is a complete unknown to me. I just keep adding weight to the van and need to clear out stuff I'm not using. C1 I assume means a specification rating with the authorities? I expect overloading could invalidate insurance in the event of a claim? Do police, etc ever check? Need to find a weighbridge in the Glasgow area. Any advice really appreciated. I've had the motorhome for over 2 yrs so should have sorted this by now.

You need class C1 on your driving licence to legally drive over 3.5t GVW. I've just uprated my MH GVW to 3850kgs so as not to be overweight.

@***** : I suspect that the following link might have come from you, but here goes: https://www.commercialmotor.com/news/dvla-backtracks-on-its-medical-guidance
In this, a DVLA spokesperson is reported as saying:
Those drivers who may qualify and can meet any other legislative requirement for retaining their entitlement to drive lorries and buses do not need to also satisfy the +8 dioptre requirement.
That said, the quote is about retaining entitlement, so I don't know if it applies if you've let your C+E lapse...

Ok, I've used the Reich on a level piece of car park & still get slightly different readings on repeat, up to 10kgs but I don't know if that's because I'm driving over it at slightly differing speeds. Anyway I've used the higher weights & the front axle is 1680 kgs & the rear is 1780. That's with full tank of diesel, full water tank, 2 x gas bottles, EHU lead, external Silver Screen, full VP air suspension, don't know if that's heavier or lighter than the suspension that was removed, a little food, myself but hardly any clothes. I think I'll need to get the van's weight plate upgraded before I even think about putting a bike rack on or getting air con fitted lol

We're off to the Brecon Beacons for a couple of days so might have more luck finding a weigh bridge down there than I've had in Liverpool

Col

Has anyone approached a VOSA testing station for a weight check? I think they are supposed to do a weight or brake check on demand. I expect you will have to pay a fee, and wait till it's convenient for them.

Mark

Has anyone approached a VOSA testing station for a weight check? I think they are supposed to do a weight or brake check on demand. I expect you will have to pay a fee, and wait till it's convenient for them.

Mark
But what would they do if you were found to overweight?

Col

Mark

For a number of years I used the local VOSA Test Station For my Class IV Test van. Then they decided
to no longer offer the service, I didn't know that some still do? Or do they?
What I found was that it's you that drives your vehicle through the procedures, they instruct over a tannoy.
The weighing was done on the brake testing rollers, and the rollers hardly deflected under the flea weight
of my 6.6tonne MAM van (actually 4.36tonne at Test) even so it took a fair old revving up to get
the van wheels up out of those bloody big rollers. They probably didn't bother locking them up!

Col

Col

West lancs farmers have a weighbridge on Blaguegate Lane Latham, between Ormskirk and Skem. Think they charge £6. Good luck

Why do they charge so much in this country for a vehicle weigh up. I pay €1 with printout DIY at Cullera
Spain, 20meters from the public water fountain, although you'd hardly notice it.
If the exchange rate wasn't likely to be so unfavourable, it'd be worthwhile driving down just
for a weigh up itself ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back