Oil leak solutions for minor leaks

RCW

Free Member

Loosing about half a quart every 1000km. So that’s about 650 miles.

any opinion on the following I’ve ordered;??

gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-MqTBoVkT7ugkND82LteLTPDlt1rB6cz50hM40uq9rzTzdM-QjY4VhoClkcQAvD_BwE

told put it in, run it 20 mins on idle then next day small drive. Again small oil loss and engineering guy as mentioned wasn’t concerned?

Could of been that. I’m now putting in 15w40 which is the manufacture recommended
Yup! Much better than Mazola. It's okay for chips, just, but not so good for engines.
Why,if the manufacturer recommends something, would you do differently ?

Is the engine high mileage? If so then a change from the manufacturers recommended would be in order... some oils are made for higher mileage engines. In any case if it is high mileage then change to a thicker viscosity could help.
If it's not high mileage then don't bother reading this far :p
K ;)

Is the engine high mileage? If so then a change from the manufacturers recommended would be in order... some oils are made for higher mileage engines. In any case if it is high mileage then change to a thicker viscosity could help.
If it's not high mileage then don't bother reading this far :p
K ;)
Live tests on utube say no to thicker oils, makes the engine wear out faster.

Sometimes no easy answer other than strip hone or bore and valves and guides, best bet is to find a low mileage wright off and change donkey over, faster and cheap in the long run.

Is it burning it or leaking, you can get an oil seal additive which softens them up.
Ordered two oil additive sealants, 1 goes in, 1 as a spare. Should have them Thursday afternoon. I’ll put it in on the Saturday morning so 24H before departure.

Ordered two oil additive sealants, 1 goes in, 1 as a spare. Should have them Thursday afternoon. I’ll put it in on the Saturday morning so 24H before departure.
Which one did you get,did you watch the tube tests on which one is best.

Is it burning it or leaking, you can get an oil seal additive which softens them up.
Be warned using a addtv to stop oil seal leak is only a temporary fix , as they work by causing a softening and swelling of the seal material , when this wears off they leak like there isn't even a seal there . :)

Be warned using a addtv to stop oil seal leak is only a temporary fix , as they work by causing a softening and swelling of the seal material , when this wears off they leak like there isn't even a seal there . :)
RV2MAX, thanks the advice :)

I’ll try limp her the 3000km

See this from Millers oils and in particular the features and benefits section... second para.
Not wanting to get into an argument, just saying...
As Einstein said " dont believe everything you read on the internet"
K ;)

Last edited:
As i stated in my post, but he says its leaking which is either hardened seals or gasket joints require a tighten or renewal.
I used some stop leak stuff many years ago. It softens up hardened rubber seals, and also softens any rubber compounds within the engine.
So, it reduced the leak in my engine a little, but a few hundred miles later the engine developed a loud rattle. The engine had a timing chain, the tensioners were hardened rubber pads, which the stop leak had softened and they had worn away, damaging the timing chain too.
That was an expensive rebuild!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back