Ok please some opinions auto matic

Doesn't take long to get used to auto, soon be like you've been driving one for years.

My last few vehicles have been auto, only one bought from new, and auto was first thing on the options list I ticked.

The bugger is switching between manual and autos... my van is manual but my car is an auto X-Trail. Sometimes I forget which I am in and look for a gearstick or forget to change gear duh!
I love autos. Had a few in past and all were good.
K ;)

Very very few auto here and big price drop from new as no one wants them & no one can fix them,just what there going to do when we all go lecy.

Luckily never had any problems at all with auto box, in fact if I add up the savings people spend on new clutches these days, I could probably just put a new auto box in when it eventually gives up. :)

My sprinter is an old style auto, it does the job ok but I like a manual box because you can control the torque better.
A mate lent me his Lexus auto for a week while mine was being fixed & one thing that put me off an auto was trying to get round a badly parked car.
The cars coming in the opposite direction were one solid line, then a gap came & I tried to accelerate quickly around the car but the auto box said NO, it almost stalled & then shot forwards narrowly missing next oncoming car!
In my car with a manual box I'd have been around it way before there was any panic!

Besides if you have an auto box in stop/start traffic, then the friction plate/belts are always wearing, but I may be slightly out of date with this thinking?

Phill

We have a Fiat Ducato with the Autobox it's really good especially in France with all their roundabouts. It's just a normal 6 speed Fiat box with a computer lashed to it that does all the hard work. You can use it manually as well.

Always found automatics have less problems than manuals, but I could be wrong.

Luckily never had any problems at all with auto box, in fact if I add up the savings people spend on new clutches these days, I could probably just put a new auto box in when it eventually gives up. :)

Some truth in what you say. If you happen to have an auto with non or very few known problems
then that'd be a far better prospect than some manual 5th gear mash up. But on average well.......
to me simple manual is good.
It's not so much clutches that need any more replacing these days it's those bleeding manual box models
with DMFs, when they go, you may well wish you'd picked the auto version. !

I've been driving both for years. The current car is auto. My very first campervan was an auto. Very relaxing on long journeys. Well, on all journeys really. I switch from auto car to the manual campervan all the time without any problems. Although I did once put the handbrake (it's actually a footbrake and lives where the clutch would be) on, when doing an emergency stop. I think it helped. :ROFLMAO:

It's easy, just tuck your left foot well away from the pedals.

My renault master is an auto. Well everyone keeps telling me its not a true auto, but there is no clutch pedal. When I bought it I was worried about it being auto but it is wonderfully easy to drive. It has the option of non auto, so engine braking on long hills is possible. Would not go back to non auto M/H now.

It changes gear, there is no clutch pedal. It is as true an auto as any other, it just does it differently compared with the traditional fluid flywheel method that has been around longer.

Although my MH is a manual I drive a DSG auto VW and it’s so easy and effortless I won’t want to go back to a manual. Also nice is standard or sport and flappy paddles to play with if wanted.

Go for it Barry
Best thing we ever did was auto box
So much more relaxed driving, you can lose a little bit on fuel consumption but the effortless gear changes make up for that

Go for it Barry
Best thing we ever did was auto box
So much more relaxed driving, you can lose a little bit on fuel consumption but the effortless gear changes make up for that
May not lose any MPG with a robotised auto, it should know the optimum point for gear changing. It was the fluid flywheels of the older autos that was like a slipping clutch that wasted fuel and newer ones very likely have a locking mechanism to help overcome the slipping.

I have Fiat Ducato auto.
If you have any problems with it changing from 6 to 5 to 6 to 5 on hills get it reprogrammed.
The settings are done at the factory and do not take into account the use on a Motorhome that is not driven empty with no load.
It can be reprogrammed, I had it done. EXCELLENT result.
( local Fiat garage was useless.do free, under guarantee in The Netherlands. )

I drove an Auto Volvo 740 for years but still remember when I bought it people saying oh dear they are expensive when they go wrong and other fears. However after a few weeks especially driving around the North Circular (pre M25 days) I would get home to Hampshire relaxed and in a far better condition than I did with the old manual. I would never worry about driving an auto again. Also during my ownership, it never went wrong

We have a seven speed Kia Ceed auto. Next van will be an auto. More relaxed and once used to the way it works, just as much control as a manual, in fact i reckon more! The difference to manual is more than the sum of its parts. The lack of stress at junctions and roundabouts is great and the ease in traffic instead of having to dip the clutch every five seconds is worth it alone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back