Ok please some opinions auto matic

The rental company "Just Go" brought 250 vans to the UK from Italy this year. They were all automatics. They are bringing 300 next year. If you want to have a go at driving an auto from Italy to the UK you can apply to bring one here. At a discounted cost. Cheap for them instead of paying for the transport.

Presumably this is reduce wear and tear on clutch-gearbox from drivers unfamiliar with larger vehicles.
When I visited NZ, more than 10 years ago, most cars appeared to be automatic. When I rented a car I don’t think they offered me a manual option. Perhaps our love of manual gearboxes is not found all round the planet and we are a bit behind the times.

Presumably this is reduce wear and tear on clutch-gearbox from drivers unfamiliar with larger vehicles.

I think it's more to do with American tourists that have never driven a manual,most Kiwis drive manuals. My personal preference is a manual,I find them much more controllable getting out of sticky situations and also the knowledge that I can crash start if needed.
I drive auto trucks at work which is fine as I'm not paying for brake pads.

I’ve been driving since 1961. First with manuals but after a while automatics. Had automatic cars since 1968 the first of which was a Vauxhall Victor 2000. I’ve had Mercedes mainly since then but four years ago treated myself to a Porsche. Brilliant is all I can say in respect of the automatic gearbox. I bought my first motorhome in 1968, a Bedford Dormobile with the column change manual. Since that time I have owned American RV’s, British Motorhomes and Continental Motorhomes of which the present one is a Geist Phantom on a Mercedes chassis. I drive all over Europe and beyond and have never encountered a gearbox issue. I’d say bite the bullet and go for one. Most folks who have adverse opinions on the auto box from what I’m told have never owned one! Also, I had a fleet of coaches in my charge, for my sins, and from 1983 we went for the auto box. Fuel mpg didn’t suffer, tyres lasted longer and up to me retiring we never had a vehicle off the road with gearbox issues. All our work was touring Europe.

I think it's more to do with American tourists that have never driven a manual,most Kiwis drive manuals. My personal preference is a manual,I find them much more controllable getting out of sticky situations and also the knowledge that I can crash start if needed.
I drive auto trucks at work which is fine as I'm not paying for brake pads.

Agree with the controllability aspect. I was surprised to note in the handbook for my old Merc. van,
that the MB auto option can actually be crash/bump or 'tow started as they call it, was a new one on me.
In NZ a large proportion of the car market used to comprise 6 and 8 cyl. Holdens and American Fords (Falcons)
most of them were auto option buys, but overall most cars were stick shift. As you say probably changed now.
Do your auto trucks not have Telma retarders, or exhaust brakes/jake brakes to save on brake components?

Agree with the controllability aspect. I was surprised to note in the handbook for my old Merc. van,
that the MB auto option can actually be crash/bump or 'tow started as they call it, was a new one on me.
In NZ a large proportion of the car market used to comprise 6 and 8 cyl. Holdens and American Fords (Falcons)
most of them were auto option buys, but overall most cars were stick shift. As you say probably changed now.
Do your auto trucks not have Telma retarders, or exhaust brakes/jake brakes to save on brake components?

I was always a Ford owner but never had an auto,they were mainly on the V8s although I did once have a Valiant Ranger which had auto but I don't think they compare well to modern auto boxes.
The exhaust brakes on the trucks certainly help but there's always a lot more braking overall, especially at lower speeds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back