Omnistep service

Vanterrier

Omnistep service

my Omnistep is going on 14 years old now and was getting a bit loose in operation, rattling in and out due to so much play through wear of the nylon bushes/guides. Problem is I cannot find a source of replacement bushes to take up the slack, so...
I removed the step from the van and took it into a warm workshop.
Remove the four screws that retain the outer letter-box style frame that the step sticks through.
remove the top and bottom plastic muck guards for access.
Note that the step sliders are integral to the step frame extrusion that the guides are fixed to. Note also the gap between the step and the worn nylon guides fixed to the frame (white on mine)
Place frame in vice to enable the frame to be gently "squashed" to reduce the gap, you may need to do this at a few points along its length, be careful not to over tighten the vice.
test operation on the bench to ensure operation is smooth.
when the gap has been reduced sufficiently, refit the guards and end plate and refit to van.
job done.

no doubt some bright spark will now tell me where I could have gotten replacement bushes now :Tongue_Out_Emoji_wi

I hope that helps someone, sorry I did not take pictures - duh

Merry Christmas

K :Sunglasses_Emoji:

Thanks Trek, great sites although shocking prices ?

I still,don't see the bushes listed though? Might be me, I just don't see them...

K ?

Aah sorry it was a post and run (food shopping argh)

Looked for these years ago for a friend - thinking about it - it was a problem then

Know anyone with a 3D printer to make one ?

You can buy plastic bushes from this company, minimum order is 25, I think there is only 16 on a double step so if two members need them it could be worth buying 32, they sell all sizes so remove one bush and get accurate measurements before ordering, you can order a free sample first to ensure a perfect fit

Last edited:
Phillybarbour;n15603 said:
Are you sure the step was wobbling or could be your legs getting older and weaker?

:Thinking_Face_Emoji:Ok_Hand_Sign_Emoji::Wink_Emoji:

I think the original post refers to the single slide out step rather than the hinge out single or double step.
If so are the wear strips linear rather than round?

As an aside, if of the hinge out type, they are far from easy to repair / refurbish, the majority of the moving parts are held together with hollow rivets
and whilst the necessary parts are available they are very expensive.

eurajohn;n16044 said:
I think the original post refers to the single slide out step rather than the hinge out single or double step.
If so are the wear strips linear rather than round?

As an aside, if of the hinge out type, they are far from easy to repair / refurbish, the majority of the moving parts are held together with hollow rivets
and whilst the necessary parts are available they are very expensive.

yes slide out type
Yes linear, rectangular nylon pads riveted to frame

still have not found any, above fix still works ( until they wear down to the metal)

K :Wink_Emoji:

I've not actually owned one of those, but if as you say they are pads riveted in place, get yourself along to a good bearing suppliers and ask for wear strip.
Extensively used in industry on conveyor systems, it comes in a multitude of shapes, sizes and materials, I'm sure you'll find one off the shelf that will lend itself to your needs.

These are manufactures so won't deal with small amounts or the public but an idea of the vast variety available http://www.habasit.com/en/wearstrips-profiles.htm

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back