On board water query.

sydnsue

We filled up with water at an Aire in Lourdes but later found it was tainted with a horrible taste. There has been flooding here so maybe to do with that, which got me thinking. Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system. Does anyone just use the system for cooking and washing but use separate containers or bottles for drinking water, which is what we are doing now until we can drain and refill the tank?

If I am having a cold drink, I will use bottled water.
If I am having a hot drink I will fill the kettle from the tap; same if using water for cooking.

FWIW, I use Aqua Sol Water Treatment - https://amzn.to/4dTHfbd - as the bottle directs on each fill of the fresh tank. Still Alive (just!).

I have considered an in-line water filter like this sort of thing - https://amzn.to/3AWqkpV - to use on the hose on each fill, but only seen ones from the US, and their hose fittings are a different standard so can't be connected properly best as I can make out?

Last edited:
If I am having a cold drink, I will use bottled water.
If I am having a hot drink I will fill the kettle from the tap; same as using water for cooking.

FWIW, I use Aqua Sol Water Treatment - https://amzn.to/4dTHfbd - as the bottle directs on each fill of the fresh tank. Still Alive (just!).
My thoughts exactly. Why sterilise the tank if you are boiling?

My thoughts exactly. Why sterilise the tank if you are boiling?
Well, cost of the sterilization is pretty low and adds peace of mind.
And then add in you are possibly ingesting the unboiled water from the tank when brushing your teeth, having a wash and when having a shower.

as far as "Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system", adding Aquasol adds around 15 seconds to the tank fill time :)

I empty the tank at the end of the season so it is dry I then fill up with fresh water at season start and drink it all season whether in UK or abroad. We never buy bottled water, never had any health problems. Mind you, when I was little we ate earthworms and made mud pies, and when a teenager drank stream water when camping. So my immune system has been tuned to accept what it gets!

in 20 yrs never drank tank water always used 5 ltr supermarket bottled water but it a tap looks ok we have filled our bottles

We filled up with water at an Aire in Lourdes but later found it was tainted with a horrible taste. There has been flooding here so maybe to do with that, which got me thinking. Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system. Does anyone just use the system for cooking and washing but use separate containers or bottles for drinking water, which is what we are doing now until we can drain and refill the tank?
Buy a Naturpur water filter. I would not be without one. Use all water straight from tank and never sterilise. Have done for years.
Have fun.

We've always just used the on board tank for washing/showers etc

Buy 2 large 4 litre bottles of water from a supermarket ....
Use and refil until the handles fail
Then recycle and buy 2 new ones
Seems to be the default position for many . Dog's water from the bottles as well .
There is an alternative use for the big empty containers !

Up until France we used bottled for cooking and drinking keep a 500ml one for the teeth, then we used the tank, but back to bottled here.

An alternative way.....
We sterilise tank once a year. We use water from the tank to wash, clean teeth or boil in the kettle. Any cold water consumed is used via a 1 litre filter jug that has changeable filters and filled either from campsite tap or motorhome tap. Rarely buy bottled water as the filter jug seems to do the trick for us.

An alternative way.....
We sterilise tank once a year. We use water from the tank to wash, clean teeth or boil in the kettle. Any cold water consumed is used via a 1 litre filter jug that has changeable filters and filled either from campsite tap or motorhome tap. Rarely buy bottled water as the filter jug seems to do the trick for us.
I bought one of the Brita filter jugs for the Motorhome to use in the same way but ended up not using it as it seemed to take so much room up in the Fridge door.
Really should bring it into use again as still got it and loads of filters for it!

I once bought a van that had a whale filter thing in it, we did try it but never thought much of it, I left it in and gave the buyer a new filter for it.

Well, cost of the sterilization is pretty low and adds peace of mind.
And then add in you are possibly ingesting the unboiled water from the tank when brushing your teeth, having a wash and when having a shower.

as far as "Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system", adding Aquasol adds around 15 seconds to the tank fill time :)
Just thinking David adding sterilization to your water tank may be the reason you had issues with Solbio as I was told their product does not like treated water.
To answer the OP I use 2 x 5 litre Plastic Jerry cans with draw off taps for fresh water for tea, coffee etc bottled water for drinking.
Water from onboard storage tank used for washing/shower and washing up only.
Ray

Just thinking David adding sterilization to your water tank may be the reason you had issues with Solbio as I was told their product does not like treated water.
Interesting thought. Aqua Sol is a pretty diluted treatment at 20mL per 25L of fresh water, and of course what you are adding from your own 'source' would be much more 'affected' by whatever you have drunk and eaten, but you never know!
I tried to give away my remaining Solbio to a neighbour but she was having none of it and said she is sticking to her 'Elsan Organic Green'!

To answer the OP I use 2 x 5 litre Plastic Jerry cans with draw off taps for fresh water for tea, coffee etc bottled water for drinking.
Water from onboard storage tank used for washing/shower and washing up only.
Ray

Back