On board water query.

Interesting thought. Aqua Sol is a pretty diluted treatment at 20mL per 25L of fresh water, and of course what you are adding from your own 'source' would be much more 'affected' by whatever you have drunk and eaten, but you never know!
I tried to give away my remaining Solbio to a neighbour but she was having none of it and said she is sticking to her 'Elsan Organic Green'!
If ever our paths cross and you are still getting rid I will happily take it.

We filled up with water at an Aire in Lourdes but later found it was tainted with a horrible taste. There has been flooding here so maybe to do with that, which got me thinking. Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system. Does anyone just use the system for cooking and washing but use separate containers or bottles for drinking water, which is what we are doing now until we can drain and refill the tank?
We never drink the tank water just have 5 litre plastic bottles , no taps just screw lids, for drinking water ie tea coffee cooking purposes always buy bottled water to drink neat , do however brush teeth with tank water .but use sterilizing tablets in it anyway . no problems in 35 years of travel this way . Filled the tank with beach tap water in Spain one trip found out it was salty hee hee , lesson learned .

bought one of the Brita filter jugs for the Motorhome to use in the same way but ended up not using it as it seemed to take so much room up in the Fridge door.
I use a filter jug, but decant the filtered water into a 2litre water bottle to keep in the fridge.
When we leave home we have a full tank of water, once that is finished, normally we are in France by that time. After the tank is refilled we use the water for washing, but filter water to boil for tea, coffee and cooking, as the tea has floaters on top otherwise.

We never drink from the tank ,dishes ,showers,flush n loo.carry a container in U.K. to make tea etc from ,when in france and others it's bottled water
Suits us this way

Not cleaned the tank on this van or previous ones since Zappy stopped selling the tablets.

I just flush ours twice before setting off, we used French Aires water for everything with no issues, mud pies etc made us northern oldies tough.

Never drank anything out of the tank we just use bottled water. Refill on site if it tastes OK. Met a Dutch guy the other year who had filled his tank up from a tap by the Beach. He said his tea was very salty.

Been drinking tank and aquaroll water in Ireland, England, Wales, France and Spain as well as tap water in Italy, Australia and the above mentioned countries for about 60 years now. No problems. The worst water I have tasted was bottled water in Spain which had a host of natural chemicals in it. I think I would perhaps avoid London tap water, but then I don't wish to visit there. All EU drinking water has to reach a standard although the odd bad taste or colour can occur after work has been carried out to the locality. Probably says more about the state of some people's tanks rather than the water.

Davy

A lot of places have two taps, one says potable what's the other stuff and why not use one drinkable source?

A lot of places have two taps, one says potable what's the other stuff and why not use one drinkable source?
Depends whether you're prepared to risk a single source/dual purpose (WC and drinking) water supply. There was such an arrangement in Laignes, France and the French M/homers were not too careful about keeping the cassette away from the tap ... Elaine had violent Delhi Belly for 2-3 days, although I wasn't affected.

On the Spanish Med Coast, Agua non potable is often desalination plant water, ok for rinsing fish and salads etc, but not for drinking. If it doesn't say Eau/Agua Potable, we steer clear of the tap

Steve

Me too, non potable stays in the tap for us.

Depends whether you're prepared to risk a single source/dual purpose (WC and drinking) water supply. There was such an arrangement in Laignes, France and the French M/homers were not too careful about keeping the cassette away from the tap ... Elaine had violent Delhi Belly for 2-3 days, although I wasn't affected.

On the Spanish Med Coast, Agua non potable is often desalination plant water, ok for rinsing fish and salads etc, but not for drinking. If it doesn't say Eau/Agua Potable, we steer clear of the tap

Steve
So they actually have 2 different water sources going to these taps ?
Always assumed non potable/potable signs were to stop people rinsing cassettes at the wrong tap

If I am regularly topping the tank up I will use it for everything. As I go to quite a few spots where I don’t have access to water I often just use the tank for everything except cold drinks. I have an 80ltr cold tank and also found that 13 x 5ltr bottles fit nicely in the shower tray. This gives me quite a time I can be stood if I want to although I am usually ready for fresh veg around the 2 week mark

So they actually have 2 different water sources going to these taps ?
Always assumed non potable/potable signs were to stop people rinsing cassettes at the wrong tap
Certainly do in Spain; and, being France, where everything has to be 'propre et sec' with a law for everything, I doubt very much that 'eau non potable' comes from the same source as the 'eau non potable', not least because of the health risk

Steve

Certainly do in Spain; and, being France, where everything has to be 'propre et sec' with a law for everything, I doubt very much that 'eau non potable' comes from the same source as the 'eau non potable', not least because of the health risk

Steve
Ah, but the "eau non potable" may come from the same source as the "eau potable"; I tend to think the same as @El radge : that it's to encourage use of different taps for different purposes and/or to encourage payment for drinking water where rinsing water is free of charge but "eau potable" is chargeable.

Ah, but the "eau non potable" may come from the same source as the "eau potable"; I tend to think the same as @El radge : that it's to encourage use of different taps for different purposes and/or to encourage payment for drinking water where rinsing water is free of charge but "eau potable" is chargeable.
Aah but ... The same source could be defined as rain from the sky ...

'Eau non potable' may come from a common mains pipe, with a branch pipe to the 'non potable' tap, but it is still legally classified as unsafe to drink. It has nothing to do with charging regime, but if you want to risk the 'non potable' tap without the benefit of knowing how many French M/homers have stuffed it down the neck of the emptied cassette (saw it at La Bastide Murat, where there *was* a separate tap, but the ignorant idiot used the 'eau potable' tap, and pushed it as far down the cassette emptying tube as it would go), be my guest. My bowels are loose enough!

Steve

Aah but ... The same source could be defined as rain from the sky ...

'Eau non potable' may come from a common mains pipe, with a branch pipe to the 'non potable' tap, but it is still legally classified as unsafe to drink. It has nothing to do with charging regime, but if you want to risk the 'non potable' tap without the benefit of knowing how many French M/homers have stuffed it down the neck of the emptied cassette (saw it at La Bastide Murat, where there *was* a separate tap, but the ignorant idiot used the 'eau potable' tap, and pushed it as far down the cassette emptying tube as it would go), be my guest. My bowels are loose enough!

Steve
I would be extremely reluctant to use eau non-potable for filling the tank. I was merely commenting on the question of potential common source and reasons for different labelling. I have encountered aires (generally with a borne artisanale) where the tap for eau potable is positioned directly above the cassette emptying point in such a way that any hose is likely to be contaminated, at least on the outside, as well as some where the eau potable comes from an unthreaded pushbutton tap and the eau non-potable or eau de rinçage comes from a conventional threaded tap. Go figure!

If I am regularly topping the tank up I will use it for everything. As I go to quite a few spots where I don’t have access to water I often just use the tank for everything except cold drinks. I have an 80ltr cold tank and also found that 13 x 5ltr bottles fit nicely in the shower tray. This gives me quite a time I can be stood if I want to although I am usually ready for fresh veg around the 2 week mark
And a shower to by then...

Basically doubling costs to provide 2 sources . Really makes no sense

Back