On board water query.

We filled up with water at an Aire in Lourdes but later found it was tainted with a horrible taste. There has been flooding here so maybe to do with that, which got me thinking. Many people spend a lot of time sterilising the water system. Does anyone just use the system for cooking and washing but use separate containers or bottles for drinking water, which is what we are doing now until we can drain and refill the tank?
We use a filter jug for drinking & food. It will fit in the fridge door & filters very fast

I sanitise our fresh water tank once a year with Puriclean. We only use the on board water for washing/dish washing/showering and the in the kettle for hot drinks. Aside from that we use a refillable 5 litre container for fresh water for drinking.

I use a filter jug, but decant the filtered water into a 2litre water bottle to keep in the fridge.
When we leave home we have a full tank of water, once that is finished, normally we are in France by that time. After the tank is refilled we use the water for washing, but filter water to boil for tea, coffee and cooking, as the tea has floaters on top otherwise.
As I said earlier, I also have a filter jug but found it too bulky in the fridge so stopped using it.
I think I will try your approach as seems very sensible and as I have the jug already may as well try and use the damn thing! :D

If I am regularly topping the tank up I will use it for everything. As I go to quite a few spots where I don’t have access to water I often just use the tank for everything except cold drinks. I have an 80ltr cold tank and also found that 13 x 5ltr bottles fit nicely in the shower tray. This gives me quite a time I can be stood if I want to although I am usually ready for fresh veg around the 2 week mark
Having to shift 13 5l bottles out the way each time to have a shower would drive me loopy! I am one of those apparently rare Motorhomers that actually use the MH Shower (even when on a site where showers are available!) and never store ANYTHING in the cubicle.

Basically doubling costs to provide 2 sources . Really makes no sense
I doubt adding a second tap for a dedicated purpose is doubling the cost.
I also doubt that there is any decent campsite that provides the same tap outlet for filling a water tank and rinsing out a toilet cassette?

Having to shift 13 5l bottles out the way each time to have a shower would drive me loopy! I am one of those apparently rare Motorhomers that actually use the MH Shower (even when on a site where showers are available!) and never store ANYTHING in the cubicle.
I use the van shower, just not very often lol

I doubt adding a second tap for a dedicated purpose is doubling the cost.
I also doubt that there is any decent campsite that provides the same tap outlet for filling a water tank and rinsing out a toilet cassette?
1 water source , 2 taps ?
2 water sources , 2 pipes . Perhaps not double the price but a lot more . Why when there is no reason ?

I sanitise our fresh water tank once a year with Puriclean. We only use the on board water for washing/dish washing/showering and the in the kettle for hot drinks. Aside from that we use a refillable 5 litre container for fresh water for drinking.
We do the very same but do not drink water unless it’s been boiled.

1 water source , 2 taps ?
2 water sources , 2 pipes . Perhaps not double the price but a lot more . Why when there is no reason ?
not everywhere has potable water so freely available that it can be used for cleaning toilets. So it makes sense to use water that may not be suitable for drinking for that purpose to avoid that significant waste.

It makes sense to me and would be a perfectly good reason in that scenario. Now I don't know the precise reason. You don't know. But there will be a reason if it is being done and it is daft to think there is no reason, don't you think?

not everywhere has potable water so freely available that it can be used for cleaning toilets. So it makes sense to use water that may not be suitable for drinking for that purpose to avoid that significant waste.

It makes sense to me and would be a perfectly good reason in that scenario. Now I don't know the precise reason. You don't know. But there will be a reason if it is being done and it is daft to think there is no reason, don't you think?
Nope

Back