On overnight stop on the moors with no starting in the morning

Since getting the new battery fitted everything seems be running a lot better and quieter as well.
Could a knacked battery make everything sound rough .
Far as I am aware, once the engine is running and alternator is spinning, the starter battery is pretty much an irrelvance?

I guess if the starter battery was really bad and cells kept coming in and out changing the voltage of the battery (possible with a faulty BMS on a Lithium, but not on a Lead Acid) it could maybe affect how the alternator demand varies and maybe affect the engine revs as the Alternator tries to get more power?
I'm not an under-the-bonnet Auto Electrician so dunno if the above is right or not, but it sounds pretty unlikely.

The guy that runs the storage said the same starts quieter as well.

Or are my hearing aids ready for a replacement.

Far as I am aware, once the engine is running and alternator is spinning, the starter battery is pretty much an irrelvance?

I guess if the starter battery was really bad and cells kept coming in and out changing the voltage of the battery (possible with a faulty BMS on a Lithium, but not on a Lead Acid) it could maybe affect how the alternator demand varies and maybe affect the engine revs as the Alternator tries to get more power?
I'm not an under-the-bonnet Auto Electrician so dunno if the above is right or not, but it sounds pretty unlikely.
Actually I never mentioned the revs. But. Yes they were high for quite some time after starting and then lowered as miles went on.
Now it starts with low revs and as mentioned before a lot quieter

It’s either your foot or cruise control that will have input on revs. Unless things have changed alternators are driven by belt and pulley on cars and vans so battery state can’t make a difference to revs as far as I am aware.

It isn’t that you filled up with a premium fuel by any chance, (Shel V-Power and equivalents) as that can make everything smoother, quieter and more efficient?

Since getting the new battery fitted everything seems be running a lot better and quieter as well.
Could a knacked battery make everything sound rough .

The guy that runs the storage said the same starts quieter as well.

Or are my hearing aids ready for a replacement.
Glad you sorted out the battery issue. It wont have any effect on the running of the engine though, just coincidence lol

A bad starter battery causes the alt to run either hard or soft as its voltage and current sensitive, a good battery will help the alt top of and reduce output making engine run smooth rather than a load, a alt can suck up to 5hp of the crank/engine, same thing when you switch on lights you will notice the revs drop for a second, modern engines step up to meet demand, old engines can easy drop 100 rpm or more with a low battery or load..

Back