Our Renault Master conversion

Edina, Great conversion. Have you had it weighed, and, if so, what is your payload when in travelling trim, with all passengers etc, on board?

That's another thing I keep putting off :giggle:, but I will do one day and I'll post it here.

That's another thing I keep putting off :giggle:, but I will do one day and I'll post it here.
Thanks, for that. I'd be very interested.
Incidentally, you might find it reassuring, that we too, have a Renault Master based motorhome, that has been Ultra reliable, during the 13 yrs of ownership. It is, of course, the previous model, to yours. The only fault, was from an intermittant air bag warning light, in all that time, with a 100% mot pass rate.

Thanks, for that. I'd be very interested.
Incidentally, you might find it reassuring, that we too, have a Renault Master based motorhome, that has been Ultra reliable, during the 13 yrs of ownership. It is, of course, the previous model, to yours. The only fault, was from an intermittant air bag warning light, in all that time, with a 100% mot pass rate.

Thanks, they seem fairly popular as self builds and the only problem we've had was a tensioner on the aux belt.

This sounds very interesting, but I dont seem to be able to view the photos - I am logged in. Is there a reason for this - do I need to change settings somewhere?

This sounds very interesting, but I dont seem to be able to view the photos - I am logged in. Is there a reason for this - do I need to change settings somewhere?

No its not you, something has changed and pics no longer showing

I've checked the media settings on the album and all looks okay - I'll ask Phil about it.

Thanks Chris, I enjoyed reading that, reminded me of all the choices I had to make in my build. You seem to be a lot better on the sparky stuff than I was, I wish I was fit enough to do another van.

Thanks Chris, I enjoyed reading that, reminded me of all the choices I had to make in my build. You seem to be a lot better on the sparky stuff than I was, I wish I was fit enough to do another van.

I think you have got to enjoy doing it or it can become a major headache. I love looking at self builds and seeing how ingenious some folk are - pick up some good ideas too ;)

Yours is wonderful very professional I am not in that class! We are working on a mid size Renault Master. Mid size for parking and I am not the best driver anymore. Watched youtube and stole ideas that we liked. Put almost king size bed across back with garage underneath. No shower in bathroom rely on showers on motorway. No gas cooker next to sink. Put up this zebra cloth type covering over the insulation on the roof however during this hot spell a lot of it came down have not figured out how to stick it back yet. Bought two used captain chairs so we walk to front. Takes me a few house to put in shelves and many hours of fighting with wife as not to her liking ..... guess who wins.

For overnight we use the computer to find a park in towns mostly for dogs if worse comes to worse outside someone house also use the computer to watch downloaded tv. Took us a year however bought these thermo things for front windows instead of curtains they are so great no one can see in. I carry at least 6 days of water for the sinks etc and 6 days on the loo before emptying. After buying the wrong loos we bought two flatter ones that I can change the tank, I then at a motorway stop or other stop put the tank in my backpack go to the bathroom and empty it. After a lot of trial and error ended up getting 690 amp hours worth of batteries that lasted us a least 6 days with only solar charging however ended up buying a sterling 30 amp batt to batt charger now never have to worry. We run 99% on electric; coffee maker, microwave, fridge, fans at night etc.

We are not NORMAL campers just like doing the tourist stuff drinking coffee eating local foods at McDonalds. :)

Bought a diesel heater from China got a really good deal until they charged me import tax. Bought it in the heat wave so sitting in loft ..... pulled out my back so will install later and see if works. :) Gives me plenty of time to fight with the wife.

Start a new thread and put some pics with it Rob. Folks like to see how others do things as they can get idea if it may work for them or not. We all look for different things and different ways to do stuff increases options :)

Like any build ask the builder to point out the screw ups, and you might be a there a while, overall it really worked well for us, more worktop would have been nicer, but whole build was spoiled by the rubbish Truma E4000, and the Spinflo duplex oven and hob, both gave trouble most of the time. So I sold it on Ebay, made a good profit though :D :D new owner still has it, I think he made some small changes.

We are not NORMAL campers just like doing the tourist stuff drinking coffee eating local foods at McDonalds. :)

Don't think there is such a thing! :) We all like different things and with a self build you can use only the features you need.
It would be good to see a thread of what you've done. (y)

I did a thread on another well known forum (not Fun) happy to PM a link if requested.

Water and heating
I should perhaps explain that I wanted to keep everything as simple as possible, so the only water heater we have is a mark 1, which whistles when it boils. The shower consists of a plastic container and a switched submersible pump, feeding a domestic shower head - 2 kettles of cold and 1 of hot gives us a shower each. I honestly can’t see the need for an expensive system providing instant hot water; we know when we are going to wash-up or shower and waiting for a kettle to boil does not mess up our busy schedule. The galley sink is fed by a submersible pump (same type as in the shower, so our spare fits either) and the waste goes into an onboard waste tank which was originally fitted with a flexible drain hose, but has since been piped through the floor with a simple on/off valve. The shower is drained directly through the van floor and, depending where we are, can either be caught in a bucket or left to soak into the ground.

The Eberspacher is our only room heating and keeps the van really toasty while running off the main diesel tank.

The gas cylinder only feeds the 2 rings on the hob, so lasts a very long time.

We've got a Mark ! heater that whistles too! Works really well. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back