Our ( very nearly) finished van!

Rec

Just taken photos of our conversion to send to DVLA. MWB Relay converted for us , after lots of angst and discussion! Still had a few minor tweaks after completion and last small rooflight is being fitted above the bed end of July. Biggest tweak was the wardrobe/ toilet door which was difficult to walk round when opened. We had the door cut in half and made into a bifold which works perfectly. The chopping board has slots for the hob rings cut into the underside and holds the bits in place when we go over bumps, also fits perfectly over the sink and gives a good chopping surface.

P_20190703_160515_1_p.jpgP_20190703_161823_1_p.jpgP_20190703_162206_1_p.jpgP_20190703_161541_1_p.jpgP_20190703_161456_1_p.jpgP_20190703_161335_1_p.jpgP_20190703_161443_1_p.jpgP_20190703_162206_1_p.jpgP_20190703_160807_1_p.jpg

Last edited:
By any chance did you also take and supply any three quarter front images of your van to send to the DVLA, only a very minor observation, but it all goes to add depth to the professionalism of your application?

And by any chance, have you posted all these images up on Motorhomer Builder as well?

By the way it looks your efforts look amazingly good and a total credit to your dedication, truly well done.

Phil

• Thank You
Reactions: Rec
I did a photo from the front also as it was recommended by DVLA . So pleased with the conversion as it's a big leap to trust someone with your new van! Dave was already tied up converting our home...so only way to get it done was with Suffolk Campers, who are brilliant! Posted already on motorhome builder.
Dave still "tweaking" so he gets his hand in at times! The bifold door was his idea and has now been adopted by Bruce (Suffolk Campers) as it is so good for a small van.

Like the fact that your cooking hob is to the rear behind the sink.
Most factory built have the cooker at the front and sink at the rear
Yours must get more shelter from the wind
Looks good!
THankyou!
Yes, was a deliberate decision for that reason and also as the seat would have been in the way when cooking, more space on the left. We had a slightly higher splashback put in too. Had not thought of the hob rings moving until we went over speed bumps and they flew off! Pleased with the chopping board slotted in top , works well. Funny how small tweaks give me pleasure! The fixed bed was a design collaboration with converter, as it has completely removable centre section and garage doors so we can still carry the odd 8x4 sheet of timber!

I did a photo from the front also as it was recommended by DVLA . So pleased with the conversion as it's a big leap to trust someone with your new van! Dave was already tied up converting our home...so only way to get it done was with Suffolk Campers, who are brilliant! Posted already on motorhome builder.
Dave still "tweaking" so he gets his hand in at times! The bifold door was his idea and has now been adopted by Bruce (Suffolk Campers) as it is so good for a small van.
Does it have any solar panels?
What engine size is it?
Cheers.

Does it have any solar panels?
What engine size is it?
Cheers.
It has 160watt solar panel which we are really pleased with...has run the fridge and chargers etc with no drop in supply. We had a swivel fitted to the double seat and the drivers is static. Made the height when a passenger, a little more than we anticipated...my mum (4'11") loves it but Dave (6'1") finds it is a bit high when a passenger.....It is an L2H2 Relay Enterprise hdi 2litre.

It looks a tidy job and it must be great to be able to build a van to your exact specification. As good as our van is there are still things I would (and have) change.
Well done.
K ;)

It looks a tidy job and it must be great to be able to build a van to your exact specification. As good as our van is there are still things I would (and have) change.
Well done.
K ;)

I hadn't built one before I made our 'Millie', honestly it isn't all that hard to do with the exception of cutting the first large hole in the body, from then it is all down hill.

Its something i would love to do but I dont think my diy woodworking and electrical skills would be up to standard. I did rebuild a basket job non running TVR to a pretty high standard about 15 years ago which took me nearly 2 years to get on the road, but I doubt I would have the patience now and prefer driving to building...
Never say never though.
K ;)

Looks a really tidy conversion that you will enjoy. Good luck with your DVLA registration to campervan. Since June they have been refusing them on piece stating that they have to look like a motorhome/campervan but they don't have any definition of exactly what that means or know themselves.

Looks a really tidy conversion that you will enjoy. Good luck with your DVLA registration to campervan. Since June they have been refusing them on piece stating that they have to look like a motorhome/campervan but they don't have any definition of exactly what that means or know themselves.
Yup. I don't think the the OP should be disheartened if the reclassfication is refused (as it likely nowadays). The key thing will be they will agree the internal conversion is as required for a Motor Caravan - and this information should be the key to get /keep Campervan type insurance (as insurance is based on what vehicles are used for, not what it says on the V5C)

Yup. I don't think the the OP should be disheartened if the reclassfication is refused (as it likely nowadays). The key thing will be they will agree the internal conversion is as required for a Motor Caravan - and this information should be the key to get /keep Campervan type insurance (as insurance is based on what vehicles are used for, not what it says on the V5C)

I can't understand why, that is unless the dossier which accompanies the application for a V5 change to the DVLA is decidedly lack lustre!

Because I was going to be using my information to get an agreed valuation from insurance brokers, I went totally OTT and produced a perfect bound A4 sized brochure which had a large number of photographs all supported by suitable text with this including views of the van from all 4 corners as well as the roof which showed the large solar panel and 3 roof lights, it also included a total expenditure spread sheet.
Hells teeth, if professionally converted panel van conversions get past the eyes of the DVLA then so should any private conversions just as long as they have enough windows and a limited amount of graphics.

There is no way that anyone could look at the images of the conversion made by @Rec and not think that it wasn't a campervan, in the very same way that they could never look at mine and think exactly the same...... oh and by the way, mine doesn't even have a fixed table inside it!!

Millie interior.JPG

I can't understand why, that is unless the dossier which accompanies the application for a V5 change to the DVLA is decidedly lack lustre!

Because I was going to be using my information to get an agreed valuation from insurance brokers, I went totally OTT and produced a perfect bound A4 sized brochure which had a large number of photographs all supported by suitable text with this including views of the van from all 4 corners as well as the roof which showed the large solar panel and 3 roof lights, it also included a total expenditure spread sheet.

Hells teeth, if professionally converted panel van conversions get past the eyes of the DVLA then so should any private conversions just as long as they have enough windows and a limited amount of graphics.

There is no way that anyone could look at the images of the conversion made by @Rec and not think that it wasn't a campervan, in the very same way that they could never look at mine and think exactly the same...... oh and by the way, mine doesn't even have a fixed table inside it!!
Because the goalposts have changed, the rules have been interpreted in a different way and the DVLA are the judge and jury.
You have never needed a 'dossier' for a conversation, just a 2 page description with a few photos showing the requirements have been met. Now those requirements have changed and a camper conversion can look precisely like a £70k out the factory 'moto caravan' and STILL get rejected.
Fair? No. But I am just being realistic about the current stance of the DVLA.
By the sounds of it, even your van with its dossier didn't meet the needs (table?) but different rules are getting applied from around 2 months ago but the rule book is kept secret as there is clearly a policy of NOT reclassifying now. You got lucky with your timing as did tens of thousands of others - including myself.

Looks stunning.
Just spotted the knife rack. Do you take the nightstand when driving? Have visions of them flying everywhere when hit a bump
"Night stand?" Was searching the pictures wondering ......then realised could mean knives down! No leave them in situ, they have never moved, it was a bit of an experiment as thought they might come off. Obviously strong magnet.....put scissors also there and works brilliantly

Because the goalposts have changed, the rules have been interpreted in a different way and the DVLA are the judge and jury.
You have never needed a 'dossier' for a conversation, just a 2 page description with a few photos showing the requirements have been met. Now those requirements have changed and a camper conversion can look precisely like a £70k out the factory 'moto caravan' and STILL get rejected.
Fair? No. But I am just being realistic about the current stance of the DVLA.
By the sounds of it, even your van with its dossier didn't meet the needs (table?) but different rules are getting applied from around 2 months ago but the rule book is kept secret as there is clearly a policy of NOT reclassifying now. You got lucky with your timing as did tens of thousands of others - including myself.
I heard that this was happening from our converter, apparently the vw poptop van he did last was refused...despite being identical to others passed the same time. Makes it hard to know what you can do. Tolls ànd speed limits are affected by this especially abroad. Will wait and see

Section 4. D.5 Body type. Is this what everyone wants stating (Motorhome) ?
What I want is the Taxation class to say "Motorhome" Not PLGV or PHGV

Mark

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back