Pet passports

Well I've just phoned our medivet
30days before travel rab jab £59.99
Ahc he has no idea of cost yet ..But has just said only need one for all of eu.

Geting there slowly..🤣🤣🤣

It only takes a few minutes so should not be more than a normal consultation charge.

Copied from WC
Had a reply this afternoon.. it’s looking good folks!
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry. It may be possible for you to obtain an EU issued passport for future travel but this would be at the discretion of the EU vet. You will need an AHC to travel to the EU before a passport is issued.

Kind regards

Collina Devlin

Administrative Officer

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
So that’s the plan, pay for the first AHC, and then find a sympathetic vet
We bought our dog from a refuge in France last December. We have just obtained a French passport for her ( we live in France) and it is a legal requirement here to register dogs (+ cats and ferrets) with the French equivalent of DEFRA ( Ministere de L'agriculture et de L'alimentation) Once registered, you get an official registration certificate ( I-CAD) with a credit card sized slip of paper with the registration details, that you should carry when you take the animal out.
Looking on the I-CAD website, there is a section about Brexit and pet passports.
It states.
"The veterinarian can only issue an Fr passport to an animal holding a UK passport after verifying whether the animal's identification number has been recorded in the national domestic carnivore identification file (ICAD) and that an identification card has been issued.
Otherwise, the veterinarian can register the animal in the ICAD national identification file, if the owner of the animal has a main residence in France and if the animal's stay in France is greater than a period of 3 months, in accordance with article 22 of the AM of August 1, 2012 relating to the identification of domestic carnivores
When issuing the passport, the veterinarian must report and validate the identification and data relating to the valid rabies vaccination.
The owner of the animal can keep the UK passport to justify other vaccinations

I know people are getting their EU passports in other countries, which is a great idea if it is all legal, but I wonder if they have similar requirements re addresses and registration of pets?

I struggle to see the point of getting a European passport for a British dog. A UK passport gets you back into the UK while avoiding quarantine which is surely the main point. The EU is asking for a health certificate because we are regarded as a third country. Such countries have high levels of disease among the dog population. That does not apply to dogs from the UK. Our dogs are, in fact, less likely to carry disease than theirs.

Surely the reason for the AHC is because the UK us no longer allowed to use the pet passport scheme. Dogs entering the UK from the EU are only required to prove they are vaccinated against rabies and have had a worm tablet.
This is the same whether they are returning with an EU or UK passport or with the AHC?
Getting an EU passport, if legal, only saves you on the cost of an AHC every time you travel abroad.

Surely the reason for the AHC is because the UK us no longer allowed to use the pet passport scheme. Dogs entering the UK from the EU are only required to prove they are vaccinated against rabies and have had a worm tablet.
This is the same whether they are returning with an EU or UK passport or with the AHC?
Getting an EU passport, if legal, only saves you on the cost of an AHC every time you travel abroad.
......which may or may not be considerable because the fee is unregulated.

Yes. It is not rocket science. The vet just examines the dog for any ailments. He then issues a certificate to say that, on the day of examination, the dog was healthy and free of disease. I asked for it to be done just to be on the safe side for last winter's trip to Spain.

It is of course all ridiculous because UK dogs are among the healthiest in the world. A dog could, in theory, walk out of the vet practice and pick up a disease. Unlikely, because of our health status, but theoretically possible.

You are right. We were going away during Brexit negotiations and did not want to risk an agreement being reached (ha ha) while we were travelling without a health certificate.

I used to work in a vet surgery and we issued health certificates to dogs going abroad (pre EU). Once the Pet Passport was brought in they were not required for Europe, even though the Pet Passport lasts three years, meaning dogs may not have had any kind of health check since the last rabies vaccination. All those years on they require one again even though nothing has changed in the health status of the UK.

If your vet can issue a proper AHC for £15, then I can see a lot of people and pets beating a path to their door!
Playing devils advocate here, I would be concerned whether a cheap health certificate will comply with EU regulations. As far as I can see, the certification has to be on an official EU form and the RVC ( Royal Veterinary College) recommend a fee for this of ( at least) £110.
Standing at the Pet Passport control counter is a little too late to find your certificate doesn’t comply.

My vet charged me £15 last year.
You are right. We were going away during Brexit negotiations and did not want to risk an agreement being reached (ha ha) while we were travelling without a health certificate.

I used to work in a vet surgery and we issued health certificates to dogs going abroad (pre EU). Once the Pet Passport was brought in they were not required for Europe, even though the Pet Passport lasts three years, meaning dogs may not have had any kind of health check since the last rabies vaccination. All those years on they require one again even though nothing has changed in the health status of the UK.
You would have been fine to re-enter the UK at that time, with your Pet Passport, an AHC is only required to enter the Schengen Area.

Yes, but we didn't know what was going to happen last year.

My vet is an independent vet and usually charges very fair prices. As there was no "official" form last year he could not complete one. He gave me a certificate on headed notepaper stating that my dog was healthy and disease free. That, really, is all that is needed isn't it? If they want to dress it up in fancy ways then it smacks of profiteering and the RVC should not encourage it.

Yes, but we didn't know what was going to happen last year.

My vet is an independent vet and usually charges very fair prices. As there was no "official" form last year he could not complete one. He gave me a certificate on headed notepaper stating that my dog was healthy and disease free. That, really, is all that is needed isn't it? If they want to dress it up in fancy ways then it smacks of profiteering and the RVC should not encourage it.
I see now that we are talking about completely different things.

The AHC is a controlled document, each one has a unique serial number, controlled by the appropriate government dept. A letter from your vet isn’t going to be accepted for travel to the EU.

When I called vets a few days ago about AHC one thing he did say is no idea on cost yet,, but the new papers take about a hour to do .
So I am expecting £100 /200

When I called vets a few days ago about AHC one thing he did say is no idea on cost yet,, but the new papers take about a hour to do .
So I am expecting £100 /200
Would , perhaps , answer my previous question as to what would cost more ? EU passport , rabies jab annually or UK passport rabies jab tri annually .
EU passport would win hands down

My dog now has a Spanish passport so no worries ref animal health certificate.
All British on site were getting them too.
My pets passport is invalid, i have a health certificate for him to leave to spain,?

My pets passport is invalid, i have a health certificate for him to leave to spain,?
He has had passport for years but that is not valid, health check 21 days before travel, and he's rabies is boster is up to date,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back