Pet passports

It is just Brussels being b***** awkward. The UK has a very high health status and they know it. Totally unnecessary for animals from the UK to be health tested before travel. If anything it should be the other way around.

Can I ask what the French or Spanish passport has that negates the need for a health certificate?

All domestic animals are subject to diseases and in the case of dogs, they are vaccinated against these diseases. Our French dog with French passport has been inoculated against the same diseases that our English dog with a UK passport had. That suggests to me that these diseases are just as likely to be present in the UK as they are in the EU.
The pet passport scheme allowed for hassle free travel for pets within the EU without the need for a health certificate Now, the scheme no longer applies to UK pets.
That’s the only reason you now need an AHC to travel to the EU.

What is wrong with our Pet Passport that we also need an AHC? There is space at the back to enter all the other vaccinations that apply to both European and British dogs. If that is filled in then, surely, our Pet Passport will be exactly the same as a French one?

There is a something that is rare in the UK but is present in Europe and that it the tapeworm Echinococcus. This is something that is zoonotic which means it causes disease in humans. It is why pets have to be wormed before travelling to the UK. Then there is rabies. Again Zoonotic but not present in UK but present in some parts of Europe. It seems a bit ridiculous to ask for health certificates from UK to Europe given that we are free of these diseases and Europe has them.

What is wrong with our Pet Passport that we also need an AHC? There is space at the back to enter all the other vaccinations that apply to both European and British dogs. If that is filled in then, surely, our Pet Passport will be exactly the same as a French one?

There is a something that is rare in the UK but is present in Europe and that it the tapeworm Echinococcus. This is something that is zoonotic which means it causes disease in humans. It is why pets have to be wormed before travelling to the UK. Then there is rabies. Again Zoonotic but not present in UK but present in some parts of Europe. It seems a bit ridiculous to ask for health certificates from UK to Europe given that we are free of these diseases and Europe has them.
Nothing wrong with previous system it worked perfectly
Unfortunately , no longer being in EU , we aren't covered by their rules . Don't know if this was included in negotiations , probably not ?
Hopefully this will eventually be resolved in a commonsensical [cheaper] way

Well, it won't be resolved if no one does anything about it. We need to write to our MP's and get it sorted.

Government officials think that everyone flies to holiday destinations. It was a nightmare at the start of the pandemic trying to get any information on road or ferry travel because they had not considered it at all.

The UK only managed to get Part 2 listed before the end of last year
If they try to negotiate to become a Part 1 listed country, then the pet passport scheme could be reintroduced.
Maybe a letter to your MP querying why they didn’t qualify for part 1 and asking if they are going to re apply, might be a good idea.

The UK only managed to get Part 2 listed before the end of last year
If they try to negotiate to become a Part 1 listed country, then the pet passport scheme could be reintroduced.
Maybe a letter to your MP querying why they didn’t qualify for part 1 and asking if they are going to re apply, might be a good idea.
Certainly going to do that though , I suspect , will take some time .
Currently shopping around for new vet . So far I've been quoted £100-£165 [not including rabies jab] !

Don't blame the vet. If it was a solicitor you would not flinch at those charges for an hour of his time :)

Don't blame the vet. If it was a solicitor you would not flinch at those charges for an hour of his time :)
You may be right [not convinced]
Point being , going abroad 3 times a year will cost an extra £500 .
Not going to mention travel insurance !

My objection to this whole debacle is the fact that the fee for an AHC is completely unregulated, just like the tapeworm tablet for the return journey. This is just another open cheque book for the professional animal lovers that we formally knew as Vets.

Reactions: DnK
My objection to this whole debacle is the fact that the fee for an AHC is completely unregulated, just like the tapeworm tablet for the return journey. This is just another open cheque book for the professional animal lovers that we formally knew as Vets.
One quote [best one] gives breakdown as £45.50 for consultation and £56 for AHC . The others , as you suggest , are plucking figures out the air

The Royal Veto army college sites the fee is £110, which includes consultation and form filling. As below...

How much does a animal health certificate cost?

An Animal Health Certificate costs £110*( This is the consultation and includes reviewing & finalising all your documents. Any vaccinations or medications required in addition will incur additional charges). A microchip is £16.28 and will only need to be implanted once. A Rabies vaccination costs £50.40 – this will need to be repeated every three years to allow continual travel under the Pet Travel Scheme.

This is probably only a recommendation as vets will be able to charge their own prices, but I doubt many will do it cheaper.

A vet working in Central London will have very different overheads from one that is working in rural Derbyshire. You can shop around of course. Best value comes from an independent vet. Those that are part of a huge corporation have shareholders to pay. Staff turnover is also high which is very expensive.

A vet working in Central London will have very different overheads from one that is working in rural Derbyshire. You can shop around of course. Best value comes from an independent vet. Those that are part of a huge corporation have shareholders to pay. Staff turnover is also high which is very expensive.
Prices I quoted in a previous post were for central and suburban Edinburgh .
You seem to have a pretty extensive knowledge of the vet business .
If you are a vet you have a ready made customer base on here ?

Worked in the veterinary industry in various capacities for many years. Not a vet though, sorry :) They are a very hard working bunch of people who are working in dangerous conditions most of the time. Feral cats, nervous dogs, recalcitrant cows and frisky horses (dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle :) ) Then there are the bad debts they have to deal with. One practice I worked for got hit pretty badly (too kind) and they had to sell to one of the big conglomerates to preserve staff jobs. They have one of the highest suicide rates of any industry.

They are a very hard working bunch of people who are working in dangerous conditions most of the time. Feral cats, nervous dogs, recalcitrant cows and frisky horses (dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle :) ) Then there are the bad debts they have to deal with. One practice I worked for got hit pretty badly (too kind) and they had to sell to one of the big conglomerates to preserve staff jobs. They have one of the highest suicide rates of any industry.
I'll second (most) of that. The last place we lived on the West of Scotland we had a lovely vet, so good with the dogs and cats we had, a lovely man. Next thing we heard he had committed suicide.

When we had a farm, the vets, in 2 different very rural areas of Scotland , were superb. They always came out, day, night, snow, rain, never complained (even though we weren't professional farmers), arms up the cow's backside to get a calf out, covered in whatsit. Never an issue. And their charges were reasonable.

Small animals, yes the charges are high, in my opinion, compared to what I've experienced with large animals.

On the other hand, a Spanish vet charged us €4 for the tapeworm tablet.

As a dog owner who goes to France regulary I have been following the requirements for pet travel for some time on various sites. I live in a rural area in East Anglia. My vet will charge £120 for the AHC as it is a lengthy document that takes about an hour to complete. You don't want to make a mistake and then not be able to use it to get into France! It is valid for one entry to the EU and lasts for 4 months. I can still use my UK pet passport to get back into the UK if I want to, provided the rabies jabs are up to date. My vet is seeing the dog at an appointment and then you collect the paperwork the next day. They are therefore limiting the number of AHC appointments per week so they have time to do them.
I had planned to get an EU passport so we can come and go without having to pay £120 and visit the vet everytime we cross the channel.
I have booked an appointment with a vet in France for a pet passport next week and wil get a rabies booster jab as the current one runs out next spring. Has anyone done that in France yet? I have just read this week about a potential delay in getting a pet passport in France. A mobile vet facebook page says that in France the dog needs to be registered in France on their I-CAD database before they issue a pet passport. Someone on another forum has confirmed that, saying they have sent off the forms from the vet to register their dog's microchip on I-CAD and can't get a passport until that has been done. So 2 trips needed to get the EU passport? However, some friends had to get a French dog passport a couple of years ago in Meribel when they left the UK one at home by mistake, but they didn't have to register on the I-CAD database, so I wonder if they are getting hotter on that? French vets should now be using the 3 year rabies jab and future boosters must be done by an EU approved Vet, ie not a UK vet. Unforunately we don't have time to drive to Portugal or Spain this trip.

I also read that in Italy you have to be a resident to get a pet passport.

I have seen on another forum that a vetin Folkstone will do an AHC for £98. You email your pet passport details beforehand and then book an appointment with your pet to collect the paperwork. Worth contacting them for more info. Their reviews look very encouraging and they have 200 parking spaces!! Vets near other ports might be worth contacting to see if they can help.

That is interesting. It is not rocket science to fill out the forms and the receptionist or back office person could do that. The vet then spends his time on examining the animal only adding his signature when he has done so and checked the document for errors.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back