Please support this petition

You're not going to like this, but no chance.

For a start there are a lot of pensioners that have other income (private pensions, rental etc.) that are not in need of the money. I work for a lot of them and they are so far from hard up it's not even funny.

Then the cost to the taxpayer? That's an extra £12,393 per pensioner. 12.4 million people (Feb 2021) are claiming.

£153,673,200,000 additional cost to the tax payer. You must be joking.

A means tested benefit I wouldn't be against.
I wont be signing it, the mathematics are simply ridiculous. The country could not possibly afford it.

Agree 100%.
We couldn’t afford the response to covid. The money was found. I’d never be surprised what the Chancellor can find down the cushions of his armchair.
It’s like a goldmine down there. 😬

Signed. The government should be sacked, anarchy could look after us better than the monies that keep getting elected

We couldn’t afford the response to covid. The money was found. I’d never be surprised what the Chancellor can find down the cushions of his armchair.
It’s like a goldmine down there. 😬
As a country we spent in the region of £310 - £410 billion on covid depending on which “expert“ you listen to. In theory it’s a one of spend which will take a generation to repay.
The ludicrous pension rise stated would be ongoing year on year and no doubt recipiants would want it linked to inflation, wage rises etc. Totally unviable.

Looks like there won't be enough signers for some reason.

Here's a new one which should get everyones support.

Mine was # 9105,
895 more signatures required

The National living wage is £9.50. The average working week is 37.5 hours, so that's £365.25.
So why are pensioners expected to live on £179.60?
[...]
Pensioners are not expected to live on that. Subject to how much savings you have, pension credit can top that up to a minimum. For a single person, this is £182.60 per week or £9,495.20 pa. and for a couple, it's £278.70 per week or £14,492.40 pa. I concede this is still under the NLW but pension credit is a 'trigger benefit' that can open the door to additional benefits (e.g. council tax rebate). In addition, NLW takes mortgage payments and commuting expenses into account. I suspect that most pensioners who own their homes are mortgage free, and those who have retired don't have commuting expenses. Put it this way, when we retired our expenses reduced by about £10k a year. So that £14.5k for a couple would be equivalent to about £24.5k for a married couple on one NLW based on my circumstances. Consider also that the personal income tax allowance is £12.5k and so those on NLW pay tax, while those on pension credit do not -- effectively making a married couple's pension (as topped up by credit) worth even more. Hence, IMO, comparing NLW with pensions isn't a fair comparison.

Pensioners are not expected to live on that. Subject to how much savings you have, pension credit can top that up to a minimum. For a single person, this is £182.60 per week or £9,495.20 pa. and for a couple, it's £278.70 per week or £14,492.40 pa. I concede this is still under the NLW but pension credit is a 'trigger benefit' that can open the door to additional benefits (e.g. council tax rebate). In addition, NLW takes mortgage payments and commuting expenses into account. I suspect that most pensioners who own their homes are mortgage free, and those who have retired don't have commuting expenses. Put it this way, when we retired our expenses reduced by about £10k a year. So that £14.5k for a couple would be equivalent to about £24.5k for a married couple on one NLW based on my circumstances. Consider also that the personal income tax allowance is £12.5k and so those on NLW pay tax, while those on pension credit do not -- effectively making a married couple's pension (as topped up by credit) worth even more. Hence, IMO, comparing NLW with pensions isn't a fair comparison.
Pension credit is great, but when it stops as it does if you go one penny over the limit, then it's a disaster, you lose so much.

Pension credit is great, but when it stops as it does if you go one penny over the limit, then it's a disaster, you lose so much.
"The limit" is the amount to which pension credit tops up your income. This is reduced by £1 for every £500 savings you have over £10,000. The 'disaster' would thus come from loss of other benefits (council tax rebate, free TV licence, housing benefit, etc.) However, almost all benefits have a similar pitfall AFAICT and a lot of pensioners would get caught by this particular pitfall should the state pension increase by more than any increase in the pension credit limit.

There are an awful lot of pensioners who are not eligible for pension credit, a very small private pension easily tips you over the limit. Anyone who doesn’t have a sizeable,e private pension should investigate thoroughly as you would probably be better off cashing in the pension and getting pension credit and all the other things this enables 👍

I signed the petitions, not that it will get anywhere...
You cant have savings and get pension credit, so I found out.
Best we could hope for was council tax reduction......nope, no chance
Come back when you have used your hard earned savings.... only cost us around £5k per year (plus Sally's pension) in benefits by having savings..🤬
Doing bugger all all your life gets you the jackpot on retirement.......
Stash your money offshore 😁😁😁 you just thought that was for the rich didn't you...... hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I get a state pension and Sally gets nothing for another 9 years.

Doesn't matter what your particular moan or gripe with the State Pension, you can find at least one angle where you've been hard done by (and someone else who never saved, always drank their wages away, etc etc, has come out of it with more than they deserve). The origins date back to when women were still chattels of their husbands (until 1935) and were still not expected to have their own wealth, on top of which politicians interfered to try and balance previous injustices (reduced NI Stamps on basis of husband's NI contributions) and still allowing women (who had a 4 years longer life expectancy than men) to retire at 60, etc etc.
Fact is, with inflation today forecast to hit 13%, and UK heading for a recession that could last throughout 2023, and the 2 contestants outdoing each other to reduce the size of the state, the chances of getting the State Pension increased on the basis of the Petition is less than zero

Steve

I agree, but if we do nowt it can't

If you fancy fun try filling in the form for an attendance allowance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back