Problem kitchen mixer tap in the van.

Pudsey Bear

Ots not long since I took the basin out and fixed it, I tightened it as far as I dared it being through a van egg box type worktop, it seems to be a domestic type, it works fine but after a while, it starts waggling about so I need a more permanent cure, I'm thinking either a lock nut and or thread lock but not sure which would be the best one, I recall a steel thread and a brass nut but it might be the other way round.

Stickall will stop it moving, ever again.
Just thinking now, if i put a dollop on the wifes chair she wont be abble to drag me to shops. :unsure:

What is Stickall?

Ah, you mean Stixall, it isn't leaking and that would work if it was, the tap spout is too heavy I think and it bounces so I need to stop the nut vibrating loose I think, and sealants won't do that, it needs to be more mechanical.

Ah, you mean Stixall, it isn't leaking and that would work if it was, the tap spout is too heavy I think and it bounces so I need to stop the nut vibrating loose I think, and sealants won't do that, it needs to be more mechanical.
Small alloy plate top and bottom so the wood sanwich dont crush, id still use some aroldite to make sure, stixall pr other will rock harden, bit over kill mind you.

my (house) kitchen tap is like that and every so often I have to tighten the collar type thing to secure the spout. I would imagine in a motorhome with the shaking and vibration it would loosen much more often?
given you tighten it by just giving it a few turns, I'd be inclined to try a simple solution like Locktite - https://amzn.to/3LDGHdt - That should sort it out.

The quality of domestic tap mixer fixing brackets vary a lot. Have a look to see if the bracket is bending as you don't up. If so, make something up that is stronger, with a rubber layer above it and below the sink.

I have one in the truck and that is miles from a smooth ride. It's been fine, so it can be done.

The suggested spreader plates are a good idea for your worktop too.

I'm not certain but I don't think the worktop is damaged so a plate wouldn't help, but I'll check that out when I get to it.

Loctite might be the way to go, but need to verify the best one for whatever metals are involved.

The supplied brack wasn't bent so hopefully it still isn't.

I did take pictures when I did it last time as I did a thread on it at the time but finding it on the dig is hard work.

I think it'll be the way to go, need to check the materials, and maybe do aock nut as a belt and braces approach, I don't mind doing it as it is fairly easy to get at, but the sink and seal has to come out and be resealed again.

The plates would be to allow you to tighten it more than you previously "dared"

The stability relies on the rubber. The rubber will squash over time if you don't do it up tight enough.

Locktite will only make it an arse when it comes loose next time.

I'll have to wait and see, also I may be able to gain access via the top fridge vent.

I had a look this afternoon to see if i could get at it via the fridge vent but the fridge deflection plate is in the way and it can't be removed from outside so ot have to wait until we get home, its not going to fall off and the tap is still usable.

I always carry a 5ltr drinking water can, truth is i have only ever filled my 100ltr tank once and them emptied it to save weight.

5ltr wouldn't last long with the teapot with me.

We buy 2l bottles and the tank is not for drinking under any circumcision.

We use a 15l water container with a tap for cold drinking water filled from our filtered unsoftened kitchen tap for trips up to one week. For boiled water for hot drinks we use the onboard tank. As we live in a very hard water area we fill the tank from our softened water supply. This avoids calcium build up in the water system and is nice for showers. The tank is always emptied between trips and flushed with cleaner once per year. No problems so far after 6 years of use.

We find a lot of the bottles are now made from recycled bottles, so when possible we buy those.

That might be an ROI thing though,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back