Problem kitchen mixer tap in the van.

A sleeve glued into the woprk top that the tap can be tightened down hard onto is what it probably needs.
Not quite sure what you mean or even if it could be done in these eggbox worktops.

I forgot i have 2 5ltr refillable bottles in the van, one for washing and one for coffee/tea, kids only drink pop and we eat drink out 99% of the time.

Not quite sure what you mean or even if it could be done in these eggbox worktops.
Very easy to do with a bit of pipe and top plate bonded/welded on, a big washer under to spread the load when tightning up, the pipe should be bonded in to work surface and the tap ass inserted down through it.

We find a lot of the bottles are now made from recycled bottles, so when possible we buy those.

That might be an ROI thing though,
Thin spreader plate a good idea. You can lock the threaded nut by wrapping PTFE tape round the thread. Less permanent for next time you dismantle and no mess on fingers. Should be able to tighten up and will not vibrate loose - works a but like the nyloc nuts. Good luck

You mean an anti crush tube.

Back to topic.

I'm thinking Loctite 271 is the one I need to use to stop this from happening again, it's out of sight under the worktop, a pain to do as the sink has to come out and be re-sealed and the rubber stuck in again, so I don't envisage needing to remove the tap as it works fine just the nut keeps coming undone.

Or would the Loctite 242 be good enough.

Yeah it might, but I want a proper fix.

I'd rather spend £12 or whatever and be sure rather than try a solution I'm not confident in Trev, if it was hundreds that would be different.

I took the sink out yesterday the nut had backed right off the thread almost, the thread that went into the tap body looks like it may have had some blue Loctite type stuff on it but the rest is bare so I'll apply some more there, the nut is brass on a steel thread, so will the Loctite work on that? it is also very slack, I might go down to Been & queued and see if they use the same size thread/nut and get a spare if it's more secure.

20231026_070221.jpg

B&Q didn't have anything useful but Amazon do a kit

But then I thought, I've got some M8 nylocs, so I'm going to lock two onto the threaded rod and Loctite that into the tap let it set overnight, then undo the nuts, put it back together, with Loctite on the rest of the rod and then use two nyloc nuts locked together to hopefully make sure it never comes loose again.

I just went out to the van to put the threaded rod into the tap, it's really a badly fitted tap, pipes are too short to pull it through so it's all done by feel, so I screw the rod in but it only goes in about three turns before it locks up solid pliers wouldn't move it so I put the two nut on as mentioned and I got at least four more threads into the tap before it felt to have reached the end of the thread, I didn't continue as it may have broken the brass base of the tap making a bigger problem, so I think it may have been the tap end with the problem rather than the nut, but I put plenty of Loctite on it.

I just went out to the van to put the threaded rod into the tap, it's really a badly fitted tap, pipes are too short to pull it through so it's all done by feel, so I screw the rod in but it only goes in about three turns before it locks up solid pliers wouldn't move it so I put the two nut on as mentioned and I got at least four more threads into the tap before it felt to have reached the end of the thread, I didn't continue as it may have broken the brass base of the tap making a bigger problem, so I think it may have been the tap end with the problem rather than the nut, but I put plenty of Loctite on it.
If things were simple folk like me would be out of work. 😂
Best stop playing with your nuts, find a used tap fit & forget. (y)

All done, just waiting for the chip shop to open so I tackled it and it is fixed for good I hope.

20231028_163824.jpg20231028_164209.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back