Problem with Calor Gas Bottle

V1nny

We are currently in Portugal and I thought I had plenty of gas to see me through until I get back to the UK around the end of August.

However, I went to change a gas bottle last night and no matter how many times I try, the connector will not screw in properly to the new bottle. I tried other bottles which all connect without problem which leads me to conclude there is a problem with the threads on the new full bottle.

I may still have enough gas to get me home, but if I don’t, has anyone any tips that might help to fix the problem threading the connection to the new bottle?

Thanks

grath

Look at the thread, and if it is the start of the thread that is damaged, get a file and file it down a little at the edge.
If it is further into the thread, maybe something like a nail file to clean it up
I am assuming you have the correct same brand bottle to change over to, and I take it you are screwing the correct way

Last edited:

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

I found if you pull the rubber pipe back and Push the regulator forward so the front lug on the regulator is flush and level , then it screws in a lot easier . Hope that makes sense to you ?

V1nny

Look at the thread, and if it is the start of the thread that is damaged, get a file and file it down a little at the edge.
If it is further into the thread, maybe something like a nail file to clean it up
I am assuming you have the correct same brand bottle to change over to, and I take it you are screwing the correct way
It screws in about half way but doesn’t make a seal. I can feel something isn’t right. I will take a look and see if there is anything visible.

Thanks

V1nny

I found if you pull the rubber pipe back and Push the regulator forward so the front lug on the regulator is flush and level , then it screws in a lot easier . Hope that makes sense to you ?
I will give it another try later. Thanks

Markd

I had this with a calor bottle once.
If I hadn't needed to use it I would have returned it to the nearest stockist for exchange.
As I did need it and couldn't see a problem and even if I had there's nothing I could have done halfway done the female thread, I just carried on screwing with a decent spanner until sealed.
I used the gas up and there wasn't any damage to the pigtail so my replacement bottle fitted fine.
I told the agent about the dodgy thread but as far as I could see he didn't label it for calor to fix - perhaps you've now.got it?!

Even if you can't reuse the pigtail it's still cheaper/easier the sorting a foreign bottle.
If you get damage I'd go back to the agent you got the refill from and haggle for a new pigtail - not merchantable quality and all that.

Last edited:

V1nny

I had this with a calor bottle once.
If I hadn't needed to use it I would have returned it to the nearest stockist for exchange.
As I did need it and could see a problem and even if I had there's nothing I could have done halfway done the female thread, I just carried on screwing with a decent spanner until sealed.
I used the gas up and there wasn't any damage to the pigtail so my replacement bottle was fitted fine.
I told the agent about the dodgy thread but as far as I could see he didn't label it for calor to fix - perhaps you've now.got it?!
Even if you can't reuse the pigtail it's still cheaper/easier the sorting a foreign bottle.
If you get damage I'd go back to the agent you got the refill from and haggle for a new pigtail - not advantage quality and all that.
Thanks for that. If I get down to my last bottle I might have to try this approach.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)