Problem with Calor Gas Bottle

V1nny

We are currently in Portugal and I thought I had plenty of gas to see me through until I get back to the UK around the end of August.

However, I went to change a gas bottle last night and no matter how many times I try, the connector will not screw in properly to the new bottle. I tried other bottles which all connect without problem which leads me to conclude there is a problem with the threads on the new full bottle.

I may still have enough gas to get me home, but if I don’t, has anyone any tips that might help to fix the problem threading the connection to the new bottle?

Thanks

I found if you pull the rubber pipe back and Push the regulator forward so the front lug on the regulator is flush and level , then it screws in a lot easier . Hope that makes sense to you ?

Look at the thread, and if it is the start of the thread that is damaged, get a file and file it down a little at the edge.
If it is further into the thread, maybe something like a nail file to clean it up
I am assuming you have the correct same brand bottle to change over to, and I take it you are screwing the correct way
It screws in about half way but doesn’t make a seal. I can feel something isn’t right. I will take a look and see if there is anything visible.

Thanks

I found if you pull the rubber pipe back and Push the regulator forward so the front lug on the regulator is flush and level , then it screws in a lot easier . Hope that makes sense to you ?
I will give it another try later. Thanks

I had this with a calor bottle once.
If I hadn't needed to use it I would have returned it to the nearest stockist for exchange.
As I did need it and couldn't see a problem and even if I had there's nothing I could have done halfway done the female thread, I just carried on screwing with a decent spanner until sealed.
I used the gas up and there wasn't any damage to the pigtail so my replacement bottle fitted fine.
I told the agent about the dodgy thread but as far as I could see he didn't label it for calor to fix - perhaps you've now.got it?!

Even if you can't reuse the pigtail it's still cheaper/easier the sorting a foreign bottle.
If you get damage I'd go back to the agent you got the refill from and haggle for a new pigtail - not merchantable quality and all that.

Last edited:
I had this with a calor bottle once.
If I hadn't needed to use it I would have returned it to the nearest stockist for exchange.
As I did need it and could see a problem and even if I had there's nothing I could have done halfway done the female thread, I just carried on screwing with a decent spanner until sealed.
I used the gas up and there wasn't any damage to the pigtail so my replacement bottle was fitted fine.
I told the agent about the dodgy thread but as far as I could see he didn't label it for calor to fix - perhaps you've now.got it?!
Even if you can't reuse the pigtail it's still cheaper/easier the sorting a foreign bottle.
If you get damage I'd go back to the agent you got the refill from and haggle for a new pigtail - not advantage quality and all that.
Thanks for that. If I get down to my last bottle I might have to try this approach.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back