Renewing your license at 70

I drive a minibus (on a scheduled service) and needed to have a medical when I got to my 70th birthday (in July 2016).
A Doctor friend performed the examination in late April - thus leaving plenty of time.
I ended up driving (car only) during the Summer under cover of a "backstop" clause in the 1988 Road Traffic Act which allows for this.
By late August I was beginning to panic as this clause does not allow for driving abroad - and I was to do so in late September. So I contacted the DVLA and asked them to forget the Minibus entitlements (for the moment) and send me a car licence.
On the following Saturday the car licence arrived - followed by the Minibus licence on the Monday after.
This post is a very much shortened version of what happened over 4 months - missing out the numerous phone calls to Cardiff (on one occasion, when I was querying what the call-handler was telling me, she said " Oh, hang on a minute - I'll put my glasses on!!) and unnecessary trips to hospital.
But I am not alone - have a google and you will see that some people waited up to 18 months.
Maybe things have improved? The motto is (like "shop early for Xmas") - apply in plenty of time and keep pestering them.
Best of luck. Spike
Thanks Spike, it looks like advice is don't hold my breath.

Got my Medical booked for next Saturday at the wonderful medical establishment known to all as the Holiday Inn. This is at a reasonable cost of only £50. No doubt this will take 20 minutes or so. The Doctor, who I have never met, or likely to again will, hopefully, sign me off for another 12 months plus the time it takes the DVLA to issue the licence. Earning, before stoppages, £150 an hour. Wish I'd done my homework as a kid. I could have been a Medical man. 'Spose I'd earn more ripping people off selling PPI or Equity Release.
I can feel myself going off on one.........................................................

Del if you didn’t take it and told them you had failed would they have to pay you off? Just a though you grumpy old bugger :)

They wouldn't pay me off. They can't afford to fix the truck wash.

I have recently (Oct) reached the grand age of 70. I new I would have to renew my license and at the start realized that to retain my classifications, car, trailer, minibus and of course the van (fully loaded) I needed a completed D4 medical form as well. To make sure there was no problems I applied early and it was received by DVLA on the 27 July. Come October no license so in contacting DVLA and being told it was with the medical section I complained. There was nothing evident with my medical examination and report to suggest any problem but now DVLA are saying I need to do a Treadmill test at the local hospital. No problem for me but has anyone else had problems with license renewal through DVLA

Recently renewed mine,no problem did it on line still have all my driving categories without extra forms.
Roger.

I used my local GP who was very thorough and took 40 mins, at a cost of £70. In fact it was a good body MOT.
Very much worth the £70 I reckon from what you say. Most of us blokes are reticent when it comes to medical stuff and if that cost also provides you with a bit of peace of mind, that's no bad thing. Three and a bit years away for me but I'll keep the GP option in mind. If our Behemoth keeps going as it is I'd probably like to keep hold of it.

Cheers

H

And here is the crazy thing

I can drive

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997
You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM).

But I can't drive my previous M/H at 4500kg!

GRRRRRRRR
It is worth pointing out that the entitlement is B+E to drive the combination you refer to. This is retained at 70 if you have it previously.
It is though even crazier. The Government are currently consulting on raising the B licence to 4250kg BUT only for alternately powered vehicles. The acknowledge that there is minimal safety risk in driving a 4250kg vehicle from a 3500kg one.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...b-driving-licence-derogation-consultation.pdf

They do make cock ups sometimes Ray. A few years ago, I sent off to renew my photo and they renewed my full HGV1 (CE) without any medical
I suspect the post above is not for a C1 or not at 70
Back in early 70’s my sister in law took car test and failed. Not knowing any better she sent the fail slip off with her license and received a full car license in return. To this day it has never been picked up and she retained full license. Never heard of anyone else having this before or since.

3 years to go and a 3800 van. I do have HGV1 but not renewed medical for 15yrs! It's good to note that it doesn't matter and will renew when
I have the medical at 70..............if all me bits are in order!

I did a search locally for HGV medicals and licence renewals and my husband did it on Monday last cost £58, it took only 20 mins and he smiled through it our doctors quoted £125

3 years to go and a 3800 van. I do have HGV1 but not renewed medical for 15yrs! It's good to note that it doesn't matter and will renew when
I have the medical at 70..............if all me bits are in order!
Good luck with that, I am still waiting but its still the first week after my Treadmill test results were sent to DVLA

On my 2nd over 70 licence 1st time my GP 2nd hgv doctor and no problems either time licence came within a week..

HGV/LGV medical this morning. As I had a pulse, it looks like a pass. bit of a farce really

HGV/LGV medical this morning. As I had a pulse, it looks like a pass. bit of a farce really
Sunday??? Or you getting days mixed up you senile old git? Sorry I am in Scotland still, senile auld git :)

Unless I’m missing something, I think today was a Saturday, pretty much all day. Not sure if Scotland is a day ahead of us sassenachs. I have no problem you taking the P , but do try to get it right. Having said that, I might have arc’ed the 12volt across my pacemaker, passed out for exactly 24 hours. Grovelling apologies may be accepted .

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back