Renewing your license at 70

Will be fun if they want me on a treadmill :)

If you pass 70 and don't do the medical as you have a 3.5 van, can you later go back and apply for the full licence again?
Check on the dvla site, BUT, I think you may to take the C1 test AGAIN ??

Check on the dvla site, BUT, I think you may to take the C1 test AGAIN ??
You can apply for your C1 even if you did not renew the entitlement when due with the D2 pack, i.e D2 application and D4 Medical just as you would have done at 70 to retain it. You never loose the entitlement to the C1 you just have to renew it to keep it active.

Last edited:
I was 70 in April. My GP doesn't do the medical so I went to a commercial firm who do the medicals all around the country, usually at Holiday Inns, and it cost me £50. The medical was quick and easy and despite medication for high BP and cholesterol etc and having Sleep Apnoea I got my C1 licence in about 10 days.

If you pass 70 and don't do the medical as you have a 3.5 van, can you later go back and apply for the full licence again?
Yes you can, I did it when after 70 I uprated our MH and got it done no problem.

I was 70 in April. My GP doesn't do the medical so I went to a commercial firm who do the medicals all around the country, usually at Holiday Inns, and it cost me £50. The medical was quick and easy and despite medication for high BP and cholesterol etc and having Sleep Apnoea I got my C1 licence in about 10 days.
Thanks this is very helpful information as I approach 70. I too have Sleep Apnoea and have been wondering how they would view it. My Sleep Apnoea is fully controlled by CPAP and I have all the data to prove it. I have reported it to the DVLA and had confirmation of no under 70 restrictions. Did you have to submit any special sleep evidence or forms to retain your C1?

I have recently (Oct) reached the grand age of 70. I new I would have to renew my license and at the start realized that to retain my classifications, car, trailer, minibus and of course the van (fully loaded) I needed a completed D4 medical form as well. To make sure there was no problems I applied early and it was received by DVLA on the 27 July. Come October no license so in contacting DVLA and being told it was with the medical section I complained. There was nothing evident with my medical examination and report to suggest any problem but now DVLA are saying I need to do a Treadmill test at the local hospital. No problem for me but has anyone else had problems with license renewal through DVLA
Hi
My husband used Doctordon Wheels - excellent service and licence arrived about 10 days later

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back