Repairing Loose Screws in MDF Door

Checknout

Repairing Loose Screws in MDF Door

Hi all, this is more a general DIY type question for you all out there. The screws securing the door handle onto the internal door in our m/h are starting to come loose and pull out. I have tightened them once already but it looks like they are not going to last. There is no thickness in the door to put in longer screws and the holes are too small to replace with wider screws. I think that two of the screws are still OK but the one that gets the most force when closing the door is not good and I would like to fix this before the other two screws fail as well. What can I do to get the screws to hold properly?

Attachments

• photo1176.jpg
    photo1176.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I would use a 2 part resin in the hole and either fix the screw in place before the resin hardens, or let it harden and then drill a pilot hole in it before fitting the screw.

As Edina says, but I would always put the screw back in before the resin has gone off

If you replace the screws before the epoxy hardens, you will struggle to ever remove them successfully again. Safer from that point of view, to fill holes and re-drill pilot holes and then replace screws IMO.

i put a matchstick in the hole break it off flush and replace the screw always works for me

I prefer to use PVA or Gorilla Glue injected in the hole under pressure. I think that it is absorbed by the surrounding wood better than resin would be. If the hole is excessively oversize, I would use a matchstick or cocktail stick as well.

I'm a broken off matchstick man as well. If it wasn't a tight fit, a drop of pva as well.

The reason I suggested resin is because that is what MDF is made with.

As previously recommended force matchsticks into the hole with a bit of pva/gorilla glue, leave to go off then trim back flush. The woodscrew will then have something to grip into without splitting it.

Last edited:
Another one for epoxy Bill (my other half) has just repaired 4 holes I put in the wheel arches of my MH (caught on a metal railing) with epoxy you can’t even tell he uses a modellers epoxy so you can colour match.

Some of these doors and panels are effectively hollow So the thread may only be griping a couple of mm’s

i would remove screws and check if hollow or solid But agree matchstick and wood glue

I used toothpicks and epoxy and at this stage it seems to be holding. Thanks

I've used that Magic Putty stuff to successfully repair wood screw holes.
it has worked completely successfully and has many uses. Now I always make sure I have some in my Motorhome toolbox.

If you want a permanent solution what you need are "American screws" also called "sex screws". Basically they are a male screw with a female counterpart, the screw can be cut to size, the two screw into each other & hence ideal for mdf or hollow doors. Try a local locksmith they usually stock them.

Injected gorilla glue ( not the wood type) will expand and fill the hole, providing a firm substrate for the screw.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back