Repairing Loose Screws in MDF Door

When I've needed to sort a screw it is usually while away. I don't always carry glues with me so I do the quick fix with the matchstick whilst thinking 'I must do a proper job when I get home' and then, of course I forget to. The fixes stayed in place. By the way,do you remember the early rawl plugs that were made of some fibrous material much like stiff string? The soft nature of the matchstick mimics that fibrous nature and that what makes it take the screw easily. Is this a subject into which I am getting too involved?:biggrin:

The first problem is that the structure of the chipboard is damaged just where you want it to be good. Using a gap filling adhesive that reinforces the board is the answer and for most of us that is a resin adhesive. Resin will penetrate the existing wood fibres securing them and forming a solid plug, adding sawdust or microfibres will make the job stronger. When set drill a correct size pilot hole and then insert the screw. Putting the screw in before the resin is set will make removal difficult though I have heard of people using grease to aid later removal. Polyester resin as found in car body repair kits will probably penetrate better than epoxy resin such as araldite. Solid wood such as a match really needs to fit the hole profile to give maximum grip

A quick fix is push a matchstick into the hole and break off then simply reinsert the screw and tighten, that should do it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back