Rest In Peace Queen Elizabeth (official thread)

We have been expecting her to go recently, she's been very frail looking for a while, we were both quite upset when the alert arrived on our phones, I wouldn't describe us as royalists but we have had enormous respect for her since childhood, that's how we were brought up back then.

So now Charlie is our new King, it remains to be seen how he approaches his new job, he's had a very good role model growing up but he is a man of a different era and has his own ideas about things which he has never hesitated in speaking about.

I did too wonder if she might be buried in Scotland, she'd be in good company.

RIP Ma'am.

The Queen is dead.

Long live the King.

I really like Charles I think he will be a great king as his mother was a great queen he has done a lot for the youth of this country and long may he reign.
Same as she said…
Watched his broadcast to the nation tonight. Duty came before his personal grief.
Loosing your mum ain’t easy for any of us, but having to face the nation with a live broadcast just a few hours later showed his courage and commitment to carrying on his mothers pledge to the nation..
Long live the king.

Apparently the Queen is being driven through her favourite places on Royal Deeside from Balmoral to Aberdeen before then heading down to Edinburgh tomorrow (to be confirmed). Her vehicle will slow to walking pace in all those villages she so dearly loved up here. So Sue and I will be lucky enough to have the opportunity to pop down the road and say our farewells to her on her final journey.
RIP Ma’am

Tony, dull one with cancelled food fare, to be expected though. We went for lunch just inside city boundary, place is usually busy on a Sunday, manager reckons lots of folks heading to St Giles and Holyrood Palace.
HRH death still commanding full air time on French TV. My sis is currently at her villa in Italy, same there since her death with tv coverage.
It is interesting media interest out with UK.

Tony, dull one with cancelled food fare, to be expected though. We went for lunch just inside city boundary, place is usually busy on a Sunday, manager reckons lots of folks heading to St Giles and Holyrood Palace.
HRH death still commanding full air time on French TV. My sis is currently at her villa in Italy, same there since her death with tv coverage.
It is interesting media interest out with UK.
Driving back to Penicuik last Thursday we heard the sad news and decided to press on home rather than stay for the food fair, mainly because we suspected (rightly) that we’d be needed for grandchild minding as DIL has been involved in the planning for just such an event for many years now and would be off to Balmoral. Glad we came home because we had an excellent opportunity this morning near Banchory to pay our last respects as the cortège was driven slowly past us. It also helped us as Sue and I had both been feeling unsettled for whatever reason and seeng the coffin go past finally made it real for us.

We managed to get to the queensferry crossing today to pay our respects to this great lady
first fly over /roundabout for kirkliston etc really silent when the convoy neared us then applause as it passed there were kids ,middle aged and older people all amazing imho RIP MAAM

498230A8-35A0-4BC9-9E11-8636F8FE9FC8.pngD455D0C7-62B7-4356-99AE-F2E822AC9045.png019A335D-C515-4DCB-9E5A-BA2236C68831.pngF96D6672-3DA0-4225-9C05-CD18A625BF49.png4295C93C-289F-41CC-8197-3B5ED3840CFA.png494C6E97-9BEC-4396-8FD7-B9091525B1B9.png0D58BD5F-97D6-49F4-94E6-EAA4A7ECAB54.png

A Great Lady and leader. She will be missed by many and mourned by millions.
Rest now Ma,am you have done your duty.

A Great Lady and leader. She will be missed by many and mourned by millions.
Rest now Ma,am you have done your duty.
This reminds me of a simple message with a flower on a bench in Ballater following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. It said “duty done, stand down”. Just as apt for our late Queen.

I feel proud and humbled, a more gracious lady never walked our shores, Rest in peace ma'am.

I’m viewing todays events, which I did not intend to do. Compelling viewing as the procession moves towards Windsor. All the pomp, the processions, the precision, the music, is breathtaking. The lone piper in the Abbey whose drones faded away into the distance, that really got me.

We are lucky enough to live in a lovely peaceful area, however we couldn’t get over how eerily quiet everything was this morning - no traffic, no agricultural activity, no noise. It was like when you wake up to a foot of snow on the ground which muffles everything.
I had planned to do all sorts of things today but when I went to get the tractor out I felt embarrassed about the noise!! So, totally unplanned, we stayed in and watched the ceremonial events and how glad we are - it made us realise that if there’s one thing the UK does well it’s ceremony! And what a send off for such a fantastic lady.

We are lucky enough to live in a lovely peaceful area, however we couldn’t get over how eerily quiet everything was this morning - no traffic, no agricultural activity, no noise. It was like when you wake up to a foot of snow on the ground which muffles everything.
I had planned to do all sorts of things today but when I went to get the tractor out I felt embarrassed about the noise!! So, totally unplanned, we stayed in and watched the ceremonial events and how glad we are - it made us realise that if there’s one thing the UK does well it’s ceremony! And what a send off for such a fantastic lady.
Was very quiet here too, Tony, and still is. Like you I intended to cut grass, which I did do after coffin transfer to hearse. I missed the rest, will catch it later on youtube. It is hard to ignore history in the making.

Edit and Ps, I meant to ask, was DIL seconded to London?

Watched the whole day on the TV until the end of the service in Windsor. We're only a tiny village and our post box doesn't have a top as it is built into the church wall. We still managed to show our respect though. The Crown is from our jubilee garden party and will be put away today, no doubt to be spruced up for the coronation.
RIP QEII - Long live the King. IMG_20220919_075103.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back